Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2011 9:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had flukes here and there since I started judo, but over the last year or so since I've really begun to get a feel for exactly which throws are best for me those moments seem to be happening more often. Lately my seoinage has just worked to the point that a couple of times it felt like I was throwing a 5 year old, they just went over so quickly and easily. I've also had a couple of recent tai otoshi that kind of felt like I was moving twice as fast as my opponent - I wasn't even countering them, it was just a case of me moving in and bam! They're on the ground. They really are amazing moments, I think my mate summed it up perfectly: "Even an orgasm doesn't come close to the couple of seconds following a real ippon"

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/25/2011 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your friend needs to experience better sex.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/25/2011 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, possibly stupid question, but in order to get better one must ask possibly stupid questions.

Given that:

1: Uki otoshi involves a drop to a kneeling position

2: A common response by uke is a forward bend

Can uki otoshi be considered a good entry into sutemi waza or guardwork or does that dropping motion plant tori's weight too much on the one knee?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    7/25/2011 9:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Alright, possibly stupid question, but in order to get better one must ask possibly stupid questions.

Given that:

1: Uki otoshi involves a drop to a kneeling position

2: A common response by uke is a forward bend

Can uki otoshi be considered a good entry into sutemi waza or guardwork or does that dropping motion plant tori's weight too much on the one knee?
    Uki Otoshi does not require a drop to the knee. It can be done from a standing position as well.

Given the difficulty of doing Uki Otoshi in randori on even a compliant uke, I'd say it's not the best choice to enter sutemi waza (although I'm having a hard time imagining how that would work..I guess you could drop to a knee, unbalance uke, then pull guard or do some sort of open guard sweep).

Ben

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/25/2011 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, that's exactly what i'm thinking, drop and swing your hip under you in yoko tomoe nage.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    7/25/2011 10:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what i'm thinking, drop and swing your hip under you in yoko tomoe nage.
    Interesting idea, I'm not sure how practical it is though. Yoko Tomoe Nage is hard enough without falling to one knee first...you would lose your momentum, the "sutemi" part would be pretty weak.

But if you mean some sort of Yoko Tomoe Nage-like open guard sweep, I could imagine that.

Upon visualization, you are not in a very good position to do apply even a sweep, given a ai yotsu situation and going to one knee. The angles are all wrong.

Maybe an ankle pick on the lead leg would work as a follow up throw or sweep to ne waza, but you are flirting with the leg grab penalty, especially if the referee did not think you actually tried to do a Uki Otoshi. There are versions of Kibisu Gaeshi (ankle reversal) in which tori drops to one knee (google the Kodokan Nage Waza videos for examples).

The most basic way to get to ne waza safely is to attempt a throw, and knock uke down for score or not. You might want to work hard on your kouchi and ouchi gari and transitions from those throws, or Kosoto Gari/gake.

There are a couple of ways I know to get uke face down that are legal and won't harm uke, with tori in good position to followup with a rolling type armbar entry, or a choke, rolling or otherwise. Both involve some sleeve control and ashi waza, using uke escape reaction against him.

Ben

Posted On:
    7/26/2011 6:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno about everyone else, but I'm always too busy trying to stay on my feet in a contest to think about going to one knee.

Although it sounds good on paper, I don't think dropping to one knee and then attempting a sutemi waza is going to give you much joy, especially as you're now entering black belt competitions.

Going to your knee(s) in a black belt comp means this is going to happen to you before you have time to attempt any sutemi waza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1WOl-UwvAM#t=1m20s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjvXUawB7Co#t=18s

One thing you'll find is that those who are good at countering throws with just the hand action and turning into a twist down/whatever you want to call it is that they are usually pretty good at the throw they're being attacked with.

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 11:24am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see how #1 is ippon. Uke was on both knees. That should be ne waza.

I've also been taught uchi mata when uke is on one knee.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 7/27/2011 11:45am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 11:46am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    #1 or "Tony Sangimino Osoto Gari at Spartak Team Cup" is clearly from standing, #2 however "Osoto Gari Against a Kneeling Opponent" is the one I think you're referring to.

Apart from the possibility that is was a wrong call are there reasons that ippon was given? The throw looked like it was done with power and control with uke landing on their back. From my n00bish view point the fact that the whole body left the ground made it look like ippon.
    Last edited by realjanuary; 7/27/2011 12:25pm at . Reason: tried to clear it up but gave both videos the same name *facepalm*

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 11:55am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoops. The Anai one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast