Page 9 of 75 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112131959 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2004 10:24am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "How to throw a hook: The arms are to remain completely straight, up until a second before impact, at which point you suddenly bend your arm. I have no idea what the rationale is behind this"

Hey Boyd, this is the only one I sorta understood. It's still wrong, but it was close to being right. The arm isn't supposed to be kept completely straight, ever, but the idea of bending the arm at the last couple of inches just makes the speed of the hook punch increase by a lot, so it becomes a harder hit. If you have your arm already bent at a 90 degree angle, and then strike, you're just using your shoulder strength, but not your arm. So by leaving your arm more open in the beginning, and then bending it near the end of the strike, you'll be using your arm strength too, and speeding up the swing for a more powerful hit. Just thought I'd let you know. Oh, and your old Sensei blows goats for quarters.

Grandmaster of Ou-chi!

Posted On:
    7/11/2004 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Several techniques taught at my old school:

You can not escape when someone has you mounted (Then I rolled out from under the instructor)

Kicking to the groin is NOT a good self defense move

A kick to the head will not have enough power to knock you out

If you keep your hands up while in the guard position, you won't get hit in the face

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2004 11:05am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL This thread is great. Dadaggie, what style was that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2004 2:03pm

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I was told once, "The best way to avoid a punch is to fall to the ground. If you just colapse, gravity will make you fall much faster than the punch can get to you and you'll avoid getting hit."

If I ever attend a Throwdown I'd like everyone to practice this technique while I attemp to punch you. I then get to practice kicking with my steel-toed boots.

wants jade ring

Posted On:
    7/11/2004 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by KuNg FooL
    "How to throw a hook: The arms are to remain completely straight, up until a second before impact, at which point you suddenly bend your arm. I have no idea what the rationale is behind this"

Hmm... this might be to reduce the telegraph, and its sounds like it would accelerate the punch. But, who knows.
  6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    7/11/2004 2:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember reading some Stephen K. Hayes article on using your knees in some Ninja Magazine issue back around 1984 that showed how to use your knees in a fight. There was no clinch. He just kind of leaned forward with his knee out there. That same week I got into a fight in school when someone shoved me from behind. He had used the classic trick of putting your arms on someone's shoulders, waiting until they look down and hitting them. Instead of kicking straight out or something I elected to use a knee because the article was on my mind. I looked down and brought my knee up like an idiot. My knee might have hit him .. if I had a five foot long knee. Anyway, he punched me and I fell into some chairs. I got right back up and looked at him. He looked like he was about to crap because his whole plan was over and I was still alive. (Dude should have jumped on me when I went down.) Anyway, I looked over to my left and our math teacher was there and we both followed him to the dean's office. It was over.

What I learned:

For a long time after that I thought that using your knees sucked ass. I wouldn't use them at all under any circumstance. I've come to the conclusion in the last few years that they are good from the clinch, like in Muay Thai. They good up close. You should have a hold of the guy before you knee him.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/11/2004 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha awesome thread.

I remember when I was a teenager I was going to a TKD school for a while. In one of those out of class moments of black belt bravado a group of them were all talking 'real self defense'. You know, what 'really' works. Of course every black belt in the group were convinced of their own tough guy image that fed on the other black belts giving him the credibility he so desperately craved.

So as an eager young green belt I snuggled up close to the group to listen. The only thing that I remember was one potbelly porker black belt talking about what to do if someone attacks you from behind...

With a very serious look, and complete sincerity he replies....

Palm heel to the groin. That will stop anyone. Fight over.

I remember getting dressed and thinking about that statement, and all the times I had been hit or kicked in the nuts while sparring. It didn't seem to stop me. Why would it stop someone else? Did the palm heel strike invoke some sort of incapacitation that I had never experienced. It took about 30 seconds of contemplation before I realized this whole group of idiots were completely full of ****.

Grandmaster of Ou-chi!

Posted On:
    7/11/2004 4:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OSU -

It was t3h d34dly TKD!

Doesn'e matter what organiztion - they ar pretty much all the same

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    7/11/2004 4:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Worst Techniques ever:

1.) the mount
    2.) the guard
    2.) triangle choke
    3.) arm bar - someone told me that you could ACTUALLY break someones arm with this

Grandmaster of Ou-chi!

Posted On:
    7/11/2004 6:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by EternalRage
    Worst Techniques ever:

1.) the mount
    2.) the guard
    2.) triangle choke
    3.) arm bar - someone told me that you could ACTUALLY break someones arm with this
    Ask Tim Sylvia about that last one
Page 9 of 75 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112131959 ... LastLast