Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374 75 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 12:50pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    The advantage of using it in punching range is that it's often difficult to get both the upper and lower body in your field of view at that range. The end result can often be: "Ohshitthat'safoot!"
    I see where you're coming from and I retract my statement, I guess the inner crescent isn't a completely useless technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 11:03am

Style: JJJ/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The advantage of using it in punching range is that it's often difficult to get both the upper and lower body in your field of view at that range. The end result can often be: "Ohshitthat'safoot!"
    So the guy with a knife flinches, throws up his hand at the unexpected move and accidentally opens your femoral artery. Even more likely if he's not used to such kicks being thrown at him, like 99% of the population

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 11:22am

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am certainly not talking about using it as a knife disarm. I have a Sig 938 for that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 11:57am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am certainly not talking about using it as a knife disarm. I have a Sig 938 for that.
    I've no idea where I got the knife idea from, please don't shoot me for my pathetic reading comprehension.

Edit: actually it was someone else a few posts up. I've used it with quite a lot of success against people (without knives), the surprise factor seems to work quite well although I can't say I throw it with any kind of power.
    Last edited by captainbirdseye; 9/24/2013 12:01pm at .

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 12:11pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't have a knife, do you? :-P

No worries. The internet can be weird that way. Of course, you're in one of those civilized countries where people don't typically carry firearms and I'd bet carrying around a cricket bat for self-defense is typically frowned upon.

I've seen the crescent kick taught as a knife disarm, but if I didn't know better I'd say that people picked up that particular bit of silly in the 80s watching terrible martial arts movies. (They are fun to watch, but good god they're awful.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 1:09pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    I've no idea where I got the knife idea from, please don't shoot me for my pathetic reading comprehension.

Edit: actually it was someone else a few posts up. I've used it with quite a lot of success against people (without knives), the surprise factor seems to work quite well although I can't say I throw it with any kind of power.
    Not sure if it's me you're referring to, though if so, while I retracted my statement and agreed that the inner crescent had it's uses, that doesn't mean I think that it would be useful or even sane to try and deflect/disarm a knife with it.

As I said a few posts earlier, my thought on the best defense against an armed opponent is a good pair of running trainers.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a Chen Tai Chi class once in which we were taught a "bunkai" from a form -- stand in low horse stance perpendicular to an attacker (on my right), then turn towards him, strike "the bladder" in a whipping motion with the back/fingers of the left hand, then follow it up fast with a hard right hand hammer fist to the bladder. The theory was that the first strike would cause him to clench the bladder, so that the hammer fist would do some real damage (also, he'd probably wet himself). Aside from the fact that my face and head were completely open the whole time, I wondered if it were not better to just skip the first warmup strike and just use the hammer blow to the groin.

I think there's also some earlier reference in this thread to the idea of using a preliminary first strike to get a tensing reaction, and follow it up with a real shot. Is this a sound strategy? Wouldnt you want to make that first strike count as much as possible?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 7:27pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    Not sure if it's me you're referring to, though if so, while I retracted my statement and agreed that the inner crescent had it's uses, that doesn't mean I think that it would be useful or even sane to try and deflect/disarm a knife with it.
    More Owlmatt, even though I know he was being facetious.

Met a TKD guy once who was flat out convinced it was the right thing to do. Still baffles me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 10:37pm

Style: HS Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I thought it was hitting two people for the first 2 years I trained at the Bullshido Shaolin place.

Turns out, having your arm in the back gives you longer range and helps you balance as you punch the guy in front of you.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/10/2013 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post

I thought it was hitting two people for the first 2 years I trained at the Bullshido Shaolin place.

Turns out, having your arm in the back gives you longer range and helps you balance as you punch the guy in front of you.