Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 11:44am

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    It works? WTF

On knees and kicks too?
    While the physics behind this are theoretically correct .. it is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of attempting to do. You'd have to strike with your forehead I guess and what if you missed? You might as well just double the force of his punch to your face.

In *theory* entirely this would be similar to brick breaking. The force of a strike on bricks only travels so far. As long as the force exerted is enough to shatter the entire stack there is no damage to the striker. If the force exerted isn't enough to break the returning force causes damage to the striker.

The same occurs here, if the head is traveling fast enough and impacts at a greater force than that of the fist then theoretically the fist would take more damage than the head. Of course then there is the fact that you're likely intercepting the attack inside of it's power arc so there are numerous different physical forces being applied. (this is why if you hit your head against a wall it hurts but practitioners can break ice with their heads)

... but seriously ... practicing to block punches with your head. That's like practicing to shoulder barge a dump truck.

Edit: Now that I think about it though - I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a wide spread technique. It would explain a lot ...
    Last edited by Ignoscant; 3/08/2013 12:16pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 2:14pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznraven View Post
    I was taught at a recruitment booth for a Judo club, catching a punch midair into a ippon seoi-nage, it was also taught in the army.
    I don't know what exactly they were arguing about the viability of that, but that is very close to how ippon seoi nage is done in Nage No Kata. That is probably where they got it from.

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 9:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

Block kick with leg, then disarm with forearm

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitmap View Post
    Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

Block kick with leg, then disarm with forearm
    The whole leg? And disarm what? Or do you mean to rip his arms off?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2013 3:44pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using a crescent kick to block/parry any sort of punch... Why?... I mean even if you do manage to pull it off... Why?

Your hands are closer and leave less chance in leaving you open if you fail or your opponent fakes...

Didn't mind doing TKD and thought there were some good techniques there... However that's just stupid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2013 6:00pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    Using a crescent kick to block/parry any sort of punch... Why?... I mean even if you do manage to pull it off... Why?

Your hands are closer and leave less chance in leaving you open if you fail or your opponent fakes...

Didn't mind doing TKD and thought there were some good techniques there... However that's just stupid.
    Even better: disarm a knife-wielding attacker by crescent kicking the knife out of his hand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2013 10:40pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Even better: disarm a knife-wielding attacker by crescent kicking the knife out of his hand.
    Think the crescent kick all together is a fairly useless technique. I found a few uses for the outer crescent, mainly for keeping my opponent back and setting up other attacks with it. The inner crescent I couldn't find any use for it. Mayhaps, I didn't train enough in TKD to learn how to apply in a useful manner... Other than, as stated -sigh- parrying punches.

The knife things a new one though, not done that. That's just dangerous to train to anyone. Best technique I found against a knifed opponent is a good pare of trainers...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 1:03am

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    Think the crescent kick all together is a fairly useless technique. I found a few uses for the outer crescent, mainly for keeping my opponent back and setting up other attacks with it. The inner crescent I couldn't find any use for it. Mayhaps, I didn't train enough in TKD to learn how to apply in a useful manner... Other than, as stated -sigh- parrying punches.

The knife things a new one though, not done that. That's just dangerous to train to anyone. Best technique I found against a knifed opponent is a good pare of trainers...
    In kyokushin the inward crescent kick is used in tournaments and has scored many knockdowns. Usually not enough power to knock someone out but it is easy to mask and distance is punching range, so it lands easier than a roundhouse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 11:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznraven View Post
    In kyokushin the inward crescent kick is used in tournaments and has scored many knockdowns. Usually not enough power to knock someone out but it is easy to mask and distance is punching range, so it lands easier than a roundhouse.
    I guess the technique has it's uses then. Just, if you're in punching range, wouldn't it just be easier to, you know... Just punch them? Suppose it makes more sense in Kyokushin though, with punching to the head being and illegal move but kicks being fair game.

Also, I suppose, now that I've had a good think about it, that you could use the inner crescent as a set up for a spinning hook kick or back kick.

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 12:20pm

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The advantage of using it in punching range is that it's often difficult to get both the upper and lower body in your field of view at that range. The end result can often be: "Ohshitthat'safoot!"