Page 65 of 75 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465 66676869 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 4:55am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He needs to experience it firsthand to really get it though. I had all sorts of crazy ideas that were pretty similar. Thought I could counter grappling yadda yadda. Didn't even like the idea of grappling. Had one roll with a purple belt and never looked back. He still crushes me to this day though, lol. Now BJJ is my favorite thing by far.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 1:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yodave View Post
    the thing is in bjj there is a unrealsitic approach to it when searching for sumbissions and when trying to upgrade ur postion...
    From now on, whenever I improve my position, I'm going to say "Upgrade Complete" in that Protoss voice from StarCraft.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 2:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol except yodave they'd just base out and drive their hips forward. Hey look, real escapes!

YouTube- BJJ: Mount Escapes

p.s. I'm also going to start calling it upgrading my position, just sounds moar awesum!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 4:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my tai chi teacher told me that I as a fighter should learn to redirect a punch by elastically absorbing it's power with my body and adding this to my own simultaneous punch. This works with push hands, so it can theoretically work with punches, theoretically

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 5:18pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkfg View Post
    my tai chi teacher told me that I as a fighter should learn to redirect a punch by elastically absorbing it's power with my body and adding this to my own simultaneous punch. This works with push hands, so it can theoretically work with punches, theoretically
    Your tai-chi instructor telling you how to fight is bizarre enough but the rest of this post will get you seriously hurt. How do you 'elastically absorb' something anyway?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 1:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your tai-chi instructor telling you how to fight is bizarre enough but the rest of this post will get you seriously hurt. How do you 'elastically absorb' something anyway?
    Yeah, he's no fighter, or rather the opposite of a fighter.
    An easy example for this principle is being pushed against one shoulder. Relaxing my hips to have a smooth-running rotation axis, but keeping the structure of my upper body, the other shoulder and the arm attached to it comes forward. I need to have a good base to not get pushed away and it's hard to even relax the hips so much when practicing this one thing. It's next to impossible to be that relaxed once your under any kind of pressure. If I tried this with a punch it is theoretically possible that this works, but the punch would still hurt me, because of the inertia of my upper body.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 12:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    holy CRAP, no wonder this site exists lol, you guys have been taught ALOT of bullshit over the years sheesh. I read the first like 40 pages and then just skipped around. I can't believe anyone got away with teaching some of this crap 0_o

In my shotokan class, we learn jab, reverse punch, lunge punch (for training purposes only, we're clearly not stupid enough to try to do this in combat lol), knife hands (we do them for TRAINING from a deep stance, we do them from a fighting stance and very quickly for actual application purposes, takes about .5 seconds to deliver one to the neck). We learn a front snap kick (aimed at the groin primarily), a roundhouse kick to the femural nerve or side of the knee, we practice extremely close range stomps as well, we do knees from a clinch and we have a side thrust kick that during training we do an exaggerated stance, and when we practice application we throw it in a manner that it'd come towards someones knee for the most part. We also practice very high speed backfists that we learn to apply off a block or at close range, aimed to the face (the nose) or as close as possible to it.

we're also taught that 99% of the time we're going to have very little time to kick someone, and if we do, we're going to probably rely on the roundhouse more then anything, and it has to come off your back leg very quickly, no bullshit deep stances during combat or big flying kicks that take us completely off balance.

we have spear hands in our katas but again we're not dumb enough to practice them for application purposes, the only way this'd be even REMOTELY effective is if you drove your fingers into someones throat, and even then you're not going to do the exaggerated stance before hand, with this in mind still rarely even waste time learning this, a ridge hand or knife hand would be more effective, and even then that's pushing it, a jab and a punch to the face or solar plexus will generally get the job done better from that range.

We have 4 blocks that we practice, all of which we follow up immediately with a strike (generally a back fist of some sort or a jab), and these are done from both an exaggerated stance if we do something like a block, jab or backfist, then reverse punch. When applying this, we generally learn that the exaggerated blocks aren't going to be effective when someone is rapidly attacking you, so we learn to simply apply the force behind these blocks but in a much shorter movement, and we're taught to NEVER stand there, apply a big block, then take our sweet time lining up a punch, it comes off immediately and there's no time for bullshit in the mean time.

Even though we practice 4 blocks, there's 2 out of those 4 that are really applicable to anything outside of training purposes, and the other 2 are trained to the degree that they become natural reactions from that same "quick and immediate" blocking method. There's no x-block crap, no blocking a mile long lunge punch when training for application. We do that to simply train the lower belts to get used to a fist flying at them till they're ready to do actual sparring.

We practice elbows from an exaggerated stance to work on hip rotation when throwing them, then we practice them just like we'd do for a jab/reverse punch from fighting stance. We aim for the face, neck, or floating ribs with the standard elbows, we work on point blank application where we work on throwing them from an almost neutral stance as well as a fighting stance, and we work on driving them down from almost point blank as to drive them into someones face or top of their head or spine.

Guess this thread is "worst techniques" but i'm happy to say that in my opinion, i haven't been taught anything that i'd consider terrible really :D

I did however go to my friends "TKD" club that he had the unfortunate horror of going to while he wasn't able to attend our class because he was away at college. It was the typical "lapel grab" defense bullshit, over exaggerate bullshit kicks that you see coming from a mile away, and the single worst block i've ever seen in my life. basically imagine this. Put your arm up like you're flexing your bicep, now put your palm forward instead of facing your head so it'd be facing someone standing infront of you. Now imagine a circular block starting from down near your hip, bringing it ALL the way up and around, past your shoulder so there's no support, as well as keeping your palm facing forward the entire time so you're not able to keep any support in your forearm either. When me and my friend sparred there since we were the only ones competent enough to do so, he was told to do this stupid block against me and see how "effective it is against a big guy like him" (because you know, size of your opponent clearly affects how good your block is...apparently...) he proceeded to try it and get a reverse punch to the ribs, he had a bruise there for about 10 days afterwords and wouldn't spar with me for a long time after that :(

Anyways that's about the worst thing i've seen aside from the idiots who i've tried going to train with who make up their own style names and just steal bullshit from other styles yet don't know how to actually apply them outside of what they see in videos on youtube from expertvillage (who sucks btw, don't ever try learning from their videos lol).

Anyways sorry for the long ass rant :D

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 12:40am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blood riot iori View Post
    In my shotokan class, we learn jab, reverse punch, lunge punch (for training purposes only, we're clearly not stupid enough to try to do this in combat lol), knife hands (we do them for TRAINING from a deep stance, we do them from a fighting stance and very quickly for actual application purposes, takes about .5 seconds to deliver one to the neck). We learn a front snap kick (aimed at the groin primarily), a roundhouse kick to the femural nerve or side of the knee, we practice extremely close range stomps as well, we do knees from a clinch and we have a side thrust kick that during training we do an exaggerated stance, and when we practice application we throw it in a manner that it'd come towards someones knee for the most part. We also practice very high speed backfists that we learn to apply off a block or at close range, aimed to the face (the nose) or as close as possible to it.

we're also taught that 99% of the time we're going to have very little time to kick someone, and if we do, we're going to probably rely on the roundhouse more then anything, and it has to come off your back leg very quickly, no bullshit deep stances during combat or big flying kicks that take us completely off balance.

we have spear hands in our katas but again we're not dumb enough to practice them for application purposes, the only way this'd be even REMOTELY effective is if you drove your fingers into someones throat, and even then you're not going to do the exaggerated stance before hand, with this in mind still rarely even waste time learning this, a ridge hand or knife hand would be more effective, and even then that's pushing it, a jab and a punch to the face or solar plexus will generally get the job done better from that range.

We have 4 blocks that we practice, all of which we follow up immediately with a strike (generally a back fist of some sort or a jab), and these are done from both an exaggerated stance if we do something like a block, jab or backfist, then reverse punch. When applying this, we generally learn that the exaggerated blocks aren't going to be effective when someone is rapidly attacking you, so we learn to simply apply the force behind these blocks but in a much shorter movement, and we're taught to NEVER stand there, apply a big block, then take our sweet time lining up a punch, it comes off immediately and there's no time for bullshit in the mean time.

Even though we practice 4 blocks, there's 2 out of those 4 that are really applicable to anything outside of training purposes, and the other 2 are trained to the degree that they become natural reactions from that same "quick and immediate" blocking method. There's no x-block crap, no blocking a mile long lunge punch when training for application. We do that to simply train the lower belts to get used to a fist flying at them till they're ready to do actual sparring.

We practice elbows from an exaggerated stance to work on hip rotation when throwing them, then we practice them just like we'd do for a jab/reverse punch from fighting stance. We aim for the face, neck, or floating ribs with the standard elbows, we work on point blank application where we work on throwing them from an almost neutral stance as well as a fighting stance, and we work on driving them down from almost point blank as to drive them into someones face or top of their head or spine.

Guess this thread is "worst techniques" but i'm happy to say that in my opinion, i haven't been taught anything that i'd consider terrible really :D
    …And yet you sound so terribly, terribly defensive, like you know that half of what you do desperately requires justification. I know the feeling; I probably came off similarly when I first joined the site (at which point I practiced Shotokan, coincidentally).

If you’re so convinced that you’re taught a no-nonsense approach to fighting, why is it that your wall of text is so full of “But we only do this for training” and “Really, we know better”?
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 12:56am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Lol except yodave they'd just base out and drive their hips forward. Hey look, real escapes!

YouTube- BJJ: Mount Escapes

p.s. I'm also going to start calling it upgrading my position, just sounds moar awesum!
    try doing those mount escapes while i'm chain punching you.

ya can't do it.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 1:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    …And yet you sound so terribly, terribly defensive, like you know that half of what you do desperately requires justification. I know the feeling; I probably came off similarly when I first joined the site (at which point I practiced Shotokan, coincidentally).

If you’re so convinced that you’re taught a no-nonsense approach to fighting, why is it that your wall of text is so full of “But we only do this for training” and “Really, we know better”?
    guess i should correct myself then. When i say "we do this for training", i mean that we do it in order to learn a movement, train our bodies, etc etc. When we apply techniques we do not do them from an exaggerated front stance for example. We train reverse punches from a front stance (this is an example btw). When we apply them, we do them from a fighting stance. Same goes for blocks. We do this in order to train hip rotation and what not.

Lol at me sounding defensive, if i'm coming off defensive then it's because you're taking my post as such, likely because you're looking for a flaw in it in which you can get defensive about yourself :icon_thum if not then by all means ignore my post ^_^

I don't feel anything that i do requires justification, i'm simply preumpting anyone who would sit there and question it, saying "lol you do reverse punches from a front stance and you probably lunge punch and think it works on t3h streetz too LOL NOOBSAUCE!!!", by explaining that (again i'm just using it as an example since i noticed it being used multiple times in this thread by other people) we train the motion of the punch and the hip rotation in the front stance, but we do not train that way to apply the move in combat or when we spar and fight. If that's me coming off defensive...then people need to rethink their understanding of the term :)

Based on what i read from alot of other people on here, people were trained to do a punch from a front stance for example, and then taught to do it IN COMBAT this same way, i was simply explaining that we don't do this, and it's absolute bullshit that anyone gets away with teaching this :D

And one thing you should learn about me very quickly is that i often type walls o' text, because i have alot to say when i feel the desire to post, and if people aren't willing to read and comprehend what i'm saying then i often times don't bother with a justified response to them because i'm certain they miss crucial bits of information or are just trolling to get a rise out of me (i do not feel you are doing this, i'm simply stating it now for the record).

Lastly, i don't feel that "we know better" per-say, but i do feel we know a hell of alot better then 99% of the people who've taught the people posting in this thread, hence the reason they're posting in the first place :D

Does that answer your question sir?