Sponsored Links Spacer Image

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 1:35pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful
    You fail at anthropology. The earth was fine for 99.9% of human history. It's not inherent to humanity to ruin the world, it's inherent to 1 culture out of tens of thousands (albeit one culture that has murdered, forcibly assimilated, and otherwise made it impossible for almost all the rest to live the way they knew how/chose).
    I presume your villain is modern "Western" civilisation? Wrong, I'm afraid: Humans have caused massive extinctions for milennia (c.f. mastodons, woolly mammoths, American horses, various giant flightless birds, etc. etc.) as well as environmental devastation (c.f. the Mediterranean basin, the deforestation of Easter Island, and various instances of soil depletion and erosion since the invention of agriculture).

But don't feel bad. Humans aren't the first or the worst ecological fiends. When cyanobacteria first transformed ours into an oxygen-rich atmosphere, life must have been quite nearly wiped out -- free oxygen is, after all, quite toxic to unprotected cells. (As it happens, life adapted to tolerate atmospheric oxygen, after a while.)

I think I'll go with Spider-man's Uncle Ben on this one and say that "with great power comes great responsibility". Like cyanobacteria we humans have the power (through technology and large-scale co-operation) to wipe out a large chunk of life on Earth; unlike cyanobacteria, we have brains and can make decisions about it.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, guys, stop making me look like I derailed this thread!!!

Back to worst techniques, cyanobacteria!

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was told by a tai chi nutrider that if you are sparring with someone, and you accedentally rack their nuts, you can lay them on their back, squeeze their big toe and massage the bottom of their foot at the same time, and their nuts will stop hurting.

anybody up to try that out? i'll be glad to slam omega right in the dingdong for the sake of martial arts science.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 4:03pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    I presume your villain is modern "Western" civilisation?
    You presume incorrectly. Also, the hunting of large mammals into extinction was the act of hunter-gatherers.

All species have an effect on, and are therefore part of, their environment. If you fail to see a difference between hunting delicious mammoths into extinction and hunting wolves into extinction because they compete with us for resources, it's only because you're a part of the culture to which I referred (as am I, for that matter).

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 4:11pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by talmage4
    i was told by a tai chi nutrider that if you are sparring with someone, and you accedentally rack their nuts, you can lay them on their back, squeeze their big toe and massage the bottom of their foot at the same time, and their nuts will stop hurting.

anybody up to try that out? i'll be glad to slam omega right in the dingdong for the sake of martial arts science.
    One of my teachers was also a TCM practitioner, and he had a bunch of supposed cures for dealing with the epic pain of being 'narded.

The one that comes to mind at the moment was where you had the afflicted party sit on the floor, legs straight but slightly spread apart. He sits on top of the foot of a person standing behind him. The person standing then lifts the victim up a few inches and drops him onto the foot, three or four times. Supposedly the foot hits accupressure points around the perineum, but my only experience of it was to have my balls jangled even further - yeah, thanks Sifu.

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 4:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    chili, is your SN in refrence to my favorite band in the whole history of ever?

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper
    One of my teachers was also a TCM practitioner, and he had a bunch of supposed cures for dealing with the epic pain of being 'narded.

The one that comes to mind at the moment was where you had the afflicted party sit on the floor, legs straight but slightly spread apart. He sits on top of the foot of a person standing behind him. The person standing then lifts the victim up a few inches and drops him onto the foot, three or four times. Supposedly the foot hits accupressure points around the perineum, but my only experience of it was to have my balls jangled even further - yeah, thanks Sifu.
    The best solution for pain is more pain? Brilliant in it's way.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 9:30am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by talmage4
    chili, is your SN in refrence to my favorite band in the whole history of ever?
    almost - my style of arnis is named after the hottest pepper in the Philippines.

Siling Labuyo Arnis - what the Red Hot Chili Peppers would train in if they were stickfighters

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 10:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper
    almost - my style of arnis is named after the hottest pepper in the Philippines.

Siling Labuyo Arnis - what the Red Hot Chili Peppers would train in if they were stickfighters
    alright, i'll give you 75% cool points. RHCP is a rockin' band, and stick fighting is pretty sweet as well. maybe one day i'll learn a bit.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2008 1:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember being taught a "body throw" where you are squared off against each other, left foot forward, and as the attacker throws a right handed lunge punch at you (like you see in ninjutsu), you grab their punch mid flight with BOTH hands and pivot on your right foot twisting your hips and left leg through 180 degrees. So you end up facing the opposite direction you started pulling the attackers arm through the punch to get them off balance. The move seemed pretty cool but I never managed to get it to work in sparring, surprise, surprise.

edit: There was also a similar technique, but for roundhouse kicks. Someone comes in with a round house and as there right leg comes up to hit you in the ribs you hook your left hand behind their leg and right elbow against their knee and force the motion of their kick to continue so their spun off balance. I couldn't even get this one to work properly under compliant conditions.
    Last edited by Excaliber; 11/17/2008 2:17am at .