Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in response to OP:

Too many wrist grab defenses...

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 7:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't learn enough wrist grab defences, I know over 20 and one thing is for sure, when the apocalypse is near and somebody will grab my wrist, I will so unleash on that poor ****.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 8:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Western Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I would love you to video tape that, I believe that learning wrist grabs for the apocalypse is an ideal, and key life saver. HAHAH, poor fucker.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 4:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A self defense technique taught by our instructors to combat someone grabbing your hair was to interlace your fingers over their wrist and bend over, pulling them into a wristlock.

Note - We learned this immediately after studying how to knee someone in the face.

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 4:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See I don't exactly know what technique you are talking about (since you don't discribe it so well) but if it is the technique I think it is, it works. Here is why.
    - The attacker is in front of you grabbing your hair
    1) you grab his hand by smashing down your two on his bend fingers, you will dislocate or breaks his fingers, trust me, I have been an accidental victim to this, hurts like hell and I couldn't use two fingers for a week
    2) you bend slightly forward and into your attacker, putting pressure on his wrist, forcing him to go down to his knees and/or push his hips back, in order to release the pressure on his wrist
    3) this will prevent him from kneeing you in the face, you then push his hands further down towards the ground (out of your hair) while keeping the pressure on his wrist
    4) you now apply knees or kicks to his face, push kick him backwards and either mount+gnp or soccer kick him for a little wile in the nuts or you retreat from the threat

So if you want to come across all cool and talk about stupid technique, pick one that is stupid, there are millions, yet you managed to pick one that actually works. Well done, I will neg rep you for your stupidity after posting this.

Schools I trained at:
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    f4n4n,

You are assuming he learned it that way. Those 'little' details like bending forward into it weren't necessarily taught to him, and are critical to putting pressure on the wrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 5:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay then just lets assume I have a positive approach in life (okay I don't but just for the sake of argument).
    I assumed he learned the technique correct because this is what you are supposed to do, learn a technique that is taught to you in the correct way, think about why you do those moves and then maybe even tweak it, make it better, add a twist.

When I go and assume that everything is taught wrong, why bother learning in the first place?

I am saying just because
    1) he does not have the skill/experience to understand the technique
    2) his teacher is a fuckwit who don't know ****
    does not make it a wrong technique.
    All I am saying.

PS: When you come out here and point it out then you better have your facts down. I don't come here and say the omaplata does not work because I never managed to get one work the 2 times I tried. It says only that a) I am stupid and don't know **** b) I should have tried it more c) I haven't been taught it right

It is actually a,b and c but that does not negate the fact that the technique is good and works.
    Last edited by M.C.; 7/30/2008 5:38pm at .

Schools I trained at:
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough. However, it comes down to knowing what you don't know. You know that omoplata's work because:

1.) You've seen them work on televised MMA fights.
    2.) You've had them done to you with full resistance in a competitive sparring match.
    3.) You've had an expert show you how to make them work from a variety of positions.

If you have the above body of knowledge and can't make them work then the only conclusion is: you suck at it.

However, with something like a wrist lock hair pull defense it is likely and probable that:

1.) It was shown in a class with little or no resistance allowed.
    2.) It was taught by someone who has not had to use it themselves under pressure.
    3.) No one in the class has ever had to use it.

Seeing it in that kind of environment, especially if the details are omitted, would lead one to believe: this technique is shitty. I'll eat a knee to the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 6:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, keeping your chain of thoughts, here is how it boils down.
    1) I know my training is good and my teacher is good, so I trust him
    2) I don't think my trainer/training is good, so what am I doing there in the first place?

I have been taught techniques that are easy, fast and work and every other shade to complete Bullshido.
    The point is, when ever there is something I come across that either strikes me as "wrong" or "I don't get it" or "I have doubts about" there are three things I do.
    1) I ask to show me again and point out the "markers" (make or break points) of the technique
    2) I ask after class because I know my trainers are forced to show some technique (due to the curriculum) they would never use and mostly they point that out, sometimes they don't due to they don't want to drive a way new students.
    3) I know the technique is BS but I want to learn some of the good 10% the System offers me, I ignore the technique and take the pep talk for not training what I have been taught.

Schools I trained at:
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 6:34pm

Style: Confused variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It struck me reading this that techniques saying something like "wrist locks dont work" or saying "wrist locks do work" is not specific enough.
    I have succssesfully applied wrist locks on resisting people whilst working security, but they were not fighting me, nor were they trained fighters, but then I have also failed to apply wrist locks in fights and paid dearly for fucking about trying to. On other occasions I have succsessfully applied wrist locks in real situations against more dangerous opponents, but only after already hitting and stunning the person.
    I do believe it would be suicide to try to wrist lock a decent fighter without setting them up first?
    When debating techniques, I think we need to be more specific about the scenario or "theatre of operation" in which the techniques are being attempted?