Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 1234 56781454 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/22/2004 3:04pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd: That is SIMPLY amazing........I think you win.

I've slapped the bicep on a hook, difficult to do and won't work for many people.

And since this thread seems to interest some of you, check out this thread.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...&threadid=8783
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2004 6:34pm

Style: Judo/wrestling/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably the astronomy they tried to teach us in TKD, that was when i was young and immreshionable by the way.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    3/22/2004 8:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by hedgehogey

Chopping the bicep
    While it may not be the easiest thing to pull of a strike to the peak of the bi does hurt like hell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2004 8:41pm

Style: Shotokan/TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    spear hand and side snap kick, either way, you break one of your bones.

Posted On:
    3/22/2004 9:06pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't how you would break one of your hands by doing spear hand.

I used to do it on a punching bad myself, with fingers slightly bend, which seemed to add more forth......but I'd rather punch the poor guy instead. :)

Edit: **** I said "punching bad" again.

Your hands wouldn't break that easily the way I did it.....blah, nevermind.
    Last edited by PizDoff; 3/22/2004 10:01pm at .
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    3/22/2004 9:20pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, Boyd, you ARE supposed to grab with only your middle finger and ring and pinky and thumb, not your whole hand (this is when grabbing a gi). No gi I think it's just middle finger and thumb.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    3/22/2004 9:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why's that?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    3/22/2004 10:05pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it just has something to do with how your wrist joint is aligned, I know when I'm rock climbing we try to use our index finger as little as possible.

If you think about pulling on a handle (aligned vertically, like a refrigerator handle, esp. at eye level), the force is naturally concentrated closer to the bottom of your hand, around your ring finger and pinky. If you cock your wrist so that the majority of the force is being applied by your index finger, you end up with your wrist bent at a funny angle and it's just pointless.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Posted On:
    3/22/2004 10:10pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, on second thought, what I wrote above doesn't make that much sense, because there are definitely times in rock climbing when you would use your index finger (generally when the next handhold is small and directly above your head). However, you usually use your ring and pinky finger when the handholds are to the side, and you try to plan your route so that you're pulling sideways on the handholds. So you do end up using your fourth and fifth fingers more.

I think in judo and BJJ most of the pulling is more similar to the climbing situation where you're pulling on a grip laterally, rather than something directly above your head.

Of course, this provides no explanation of WHY this is the case, so I guess this whole answer was somewhat pointless. Maybe someone with some knowledge of anatomy will chime in now.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2004 10:48pm

Style: koryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Double knife hand strike to the nerves on the inside surface of the upper arm WHILE someone is throwing a haymaker at you with that arm. I laughed. "

I did this - to a smart ass 16 yr old in my class who said it wouldn't work. I also gave him a club, to make it more interesting. I don't know how you were shown, but this kid screamed upon impact, dropped the club then dropped to the ground. Of course, those were the good old days, before you could get sued over a broken toenail * sighs *
Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 1234 56781454 ... LastLast