Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2005 5:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    You didn't just say slipping and sidestepping a punch is bullshit did you?

Taking a couple of TKD classes and calling bullshit on a slip/dodge drill for noobs doesn't really fit in a "most useless techniques" thread.

Striking the back of the forearm though. That sounds kind of... odd. Sure about that?
    You've grossly misunderstood my post. I obviously appreciate slipping the punch, considering that I've done boxing, among other things.

Note what I said: The sidestep is fine, but instead of going into a choke, throwing a punch, etc. (as I mentioned!), we were instructed to strike the forearm. Yes. I'm serious. This was also described by our instructor as a 'real life' self-defense technique.

It wasn't a drill, it was bullshit.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    4/01/2005 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    You've grossly misunderstood my post. I obviously appreciate slipping the punch, considering that I've done boxing, among other things.

Note what I said: The sidestep is fine, but instead of going into a choke, throwing a punch, etc. (as I mentioned!), we were instructed to strike the forearm. Yes. I'm serious. This was also described by our instructor as a 'real life' self-defense technique.

It wasn't a drill, it was bullshit.
    Lol. Nice. Was is a knife-hand strike? :D I've heard of elbowing or hitting the biceps, that works pretty well if you get the chance, but the forearm? Would have to be a pretty hard hit when there are other options available :P
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2005 8:13pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    everyone knocking the x block, care to suggest viable alternatives?

i know the x block leaves you wide open, but i'd rather do it than do nothing and get stabbed in the head/throat/chest/whatever

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2005 10:15pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly

i know the x block leaves you wide open, but i'd rather do it than do nothing and get stabbed in the head/throat/chest/whatever

Use one arm to grab/parry the attacking hand, instead. What if the person had a knife in each hand? The first knife gets X-ed, the second slashes your abdomen. And that raises the whole argument of "Is it worth getting cut?". I don't know, haven't been attacked with a knife. But if it was just a fist, my option would fair much better. The idea of blocking one hand with both of your hands is just...bad.

Worst technique I've been taught: Chambered punches in a horse stance.

1. Your groin is wide open.
    2. If someone had their hands up, they could probably get in a nice combination or two by the time you got one punch and a "KIAI!" out.
    3. No mobility to the sides or backwards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2005 1:04am

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly
    Fair enough. How about getting out of the way?

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchTape
    The idea of blocking one hand with both of your hands is just...bad.
    Good call.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2005 3:26am

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "getting out of the way" <--- ok good point heh

skotchtape, i dont want to get into the "what if" thing, but yes thats one alternative.

basically what i'm saying is maybe x block sucks, but against a weapon i'll take what i can get if it saves me

anyhows, worst technique ever taught

2nd knuckle strike but it was braced in a way that would break your index finger if you hit anything but focus mitts or air

deep stances <-- ick

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 11:07pm

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    X blocks against knives are stupid. The knife fighter doesn't have to withdraw and strike again in a 'safe way'. Their simple counter, if you manage to stop the knife with the X block, is to slice the knife against the skin of your arms or against your fingers during the retraction.. remember you have exposed skin here not clothing (which only provides some protection from slashes). Once they have chambered the weapon again they can then do a very nice stab, and you might have lost the use of your hands.

Your better bet is to deflect with one hand if you have to, but dont do cross-blocking... of course your best bet is to be much faster over 100 metres.

The worst technique is to try any kick against a knife fighter... the counter for them is simply to stick the knife into your leg. Because of the momentum of your kick you may end up with the knife fairly deeply lodged in your leg. I spose thats a disarm in a way, but it might cost you an artery, nerves and a lot of pain.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 2:43am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if it's "bad" per se, but every every time we've been taught judo foot sweeps, I just couldn't "get it". Something just ain't clicking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 5:38am

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Front crosschoke with pinkyfinger pressing throat. :lol: (Secret ninja-trick)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2005 10:23am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After being specifically yelled at for not keeping our one step sparring realistic (funny all by itself) we where taught to do a reverse turning kick as counter to the punch. Nice.

****, just remembered that as an added bonus we where taught to jump to get the kick over the attackers punch.