All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 4:57pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I have never actually been beaten the crap out of?"

Was the punch to the groin a counter for a jab?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 11:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, it's just a standard move. I had to demonstrate it with my sensei for the benefit of the newbies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2005 12:53pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone punches you, you step to the side in a deep horse stance, inside-forearm block the punch with the rear hand on belt, lean into a forward stance and elbow with the rear hand at the solar plexis (with their leg (and knee) right between both of yours), then take a long step (maintaining that deep stance of course) behind them, take them down over your leg, then punch them once on the ground on one knee.

Yes, all one technique. When the guy demonstrated it on me, firstly I always keep my non-punching hand in my centerline by habit, so I just instinctively blocked his elbow. Also, I could have kneed him in the groin or tripped him very easily at virtually any point in the technique. And during the long step he was really vulnerable.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm. i take it techniques never seen outside of kata are off limits for this thread, in a sort of "no making fun of the crippled clown who just pissed himself" way?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two fingered flick to the nose, with the power coming from whipping the wrist.

Even as a kung-fu newbie, I felt strongly that it seemed much more sensible to close your fist if you could reach the nose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 2:02pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An "Upper X block" (with the hands crossed at the wrists) to defend from an attacker who is swinging a hammer straight down at your head. Right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 8:25pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knife hand to opponent's thigh if he attempted a kick. The thing was, everytime someone tried that, they'd receive a barrage of punches to the head for striking that low with their hand. Especially when people tried this on shin kicks.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 9:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In TKD, something about sidestepping a punch (that was fully committed, of course, freezing the opponent in space) and then striking the back of their forearm to 'stun' it or something when you could easily apply a choke, takedown, punch and just about all kinds of ****-all **** from there.

That was the day I lost faith in TKD. Wait a minute, I never had any faith in TKD, I just took the class for PE credits. BJJ wasn't certified for that. Bastards.

Not bitter at all.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    4/01/2005 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    In TKD, something about sidestepping a punch (that was fully committed, of course, freezing the opponent in space) and then striking the back of their forearm to 'stun' it or something when you could easily apply a choke, takedown, punch and just about all kinds of ****-all **** from there.

That was the day I lost faith in TKD. Wait a minute, I never had any faith in TKD, I just took the class for PE credits. BJJ wasn't certified for that. Bastards.

Not bitter at all.
    You didn't just say slipping and sidestepping a punch is bullshit did you?

Taking a couple of TKD classes and calling bullshit on a slip/dodge drill for noobs doesn't really fit in a "most useless techniques" thread.

Striking the back of the forearm though. That sounds kind of... odd. Sure about that?
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2005 2:57pm

Style: BJJ blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The actual technique was not bad, but the explanation of its effects "on the streets" was. We were doing some hip throws, and the instructor said that the real aim of the technique was to shatter all of the attackers ribs, which would almost always drive at least one bone shard into the attackers heart, killing them. The reason that didn't happen to us when we practised was because of the mats, and becuase we knew how to fall properly.