Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314152161 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2004 4:04pm

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jkdbuck76
    Telephone is fine. Why not put the counter-strike into his face?
    I think the idea is that once you get the arm out of the picture for a moment, you can hit his face all you want. It might also be a distancing thing; too close for a straight punch, too far for a hook, but you can hook into the bicep just fine, which clears way to the face.

a boshiken (thumb strike) to the opponent's shoulder
    There was recently a thread addressing the value of attacking the shoulder. It can be very useful, particularily with setting up throws and other standing grappling. A thumb drive fits into the area pretty well.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    7/12/2004 4:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When somebody grabs your wrist (and just stands there, too), you hit them with a Leopard fist (you know...those knuckles you knock on a door with) on the back of the hand. I'm sure the Dillman-Worshippers would call this a knockout technique.

somebody grabs the knot on your belt palm-up with their left hand. You grab their hand with your right hand palm up and then make sawing motions with the bottom of your left forearm on the top of their left forearm. All this happens while they just stand there and let you do it, too.

somebody grabs your hair one-handed in the front (and just sits there). You grab his one hand with both of our hands, trapping his grabbing hand to your head. Step 2: bow. This will bring the guy to his knees writhing in pain! HA!
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    7/12/2004 4:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    X-block vs a knife attack.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    7/12/2004 8:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grab your opponent's belt, step back into a cross stance, yank them back, punch to the ribs.

Standing arm bar defense: Apparently, there's a very small pressure point on your back that, when pressed, makes you immune to armbars. I'm not shitting you. We were taught to use our free hand to activate this point and simply rise out of it like the time Christ rose from the murky depths to deliver Excalibur to King Arthur.

Hook defense: Throw a smaller, tighter hook inside of their hook. The idea was their bicep would push into your elbow, powering your punch with virtually no effort on your part. No consideration was given to the fact that he's still gonna hit you.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    1/01/2005 3:43am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How to escape if a bigger, stronger, man grabs you by the wrist: Just jerk your wrist until he lets go. Brilliant.

In-out forearm block. Doesn't matter what situation, the thing is horrible and counter-intuitive.

Walking down the street, and someone tries to grab you by the arm -- you spin around in the direction he pulled and clothesline him with your other arm, while putting your foot behind his, so he trips. "Hey mister, what time is it?" *SMACK!* "Time for you do DIE!!!!!"

Guy has you in a 2 arm choke from behind, not a RNC, but something much less stable: You grab his thumb somehow and that's all I can remember. It's just that looking for someone's thumb while they are choking you doesn't seem very productive.

Someone grabs you with both hands by the wrist: Do EXACTLY the same thing you would if they grabbed you with one hand: twist towards your body, grab his hand's backside, and keep twisting. Nevermind the fact that he is using both of his hands to overpower one of yours and that you have a free hand.

Hell, all of the TKD "self-defense moves".

PL

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    1/01/2005 4:08am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogey
    Double palm strike to the area just below the heart. A killing blow.

Sinking down really low for a crane beak, then iron palm to the nuts

Elbows. So many elbows. Elbows even when they're not remotely appropriate. Too far away? Leap into range then do elbows. Willingly turning your back to do an elbow to the solar plexus.

Chopping the bicep
    Ahhh, I remember elbows well from TKD. Out-in forarm block a punch, twist so that you are parallel to your opponent and close, then elbow in the solar plexus....

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Why's that?
    My friend who does Kendo says that you are only supposed to grab a shinai/bokken/sword with your bottom two fingers, lightly touch with your middle finger, and point the pointer finger outwards (relaxed, but not loose). AFAIK, that's with your bottom hand, the top one you only grab with your pointer and thumb and make that point act as a pivot for the whole thing. Grab a broom or something and play around with it. You'll see that you can exert more force with your bottom fingers than with your top ones.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2005 4:47am

Style: Adidas-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bottom fingers thing--for kendo, you grip lower on the shinai, meaning you get a longer moment of inertia-->more velocity-->more force at the end of your swing.

The judo reasoning is also leverage based i would think. Probably something like your right hand (on the opponents body) creates a straighter line if you only grab with the last three fingers (try grabbing some fabric and pushing your arm in a straight line parallel to it, like for a shoulder throw or a leg clip). Not sure about the left hand. Since you grip just behind the opponents elbow, it's possible that using all four fingers would result in more of the gi being held, and therefore some leverage being lost because your hand was pulling a section of the gi that was closer to the opponent's shoulder than if you used three fingers? Maybe it's just force of habit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2005 4:14pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Bujinkan in the UK, for about 6 months when I was 19. I was taught to deal with a punch aimed at my face by making a vertical fist with my thumb sticking out over the top of the knuckles, and jab at their incoming arm, running my thumb along the inside of their upper arm, where the bicep meets the tricep, digging in as hard as I could.

When I stood quite still, with my arm outstretched and unresisting, and let the instructor do it to me, it actually hurt a little, and could sometimes produce a very mild, short-lived 'dead arm' effect (like when you hit your 'funny bone', something to do with a Lymph gland, apparently). I tried repeatedly to pull this off in 'free' sparring against other beginners. Not only did it _never_ work, but the people I was attempting it against were told that they were 'sparring with too much tension and aggression'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2005 4:30pm

Style: shootwrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkdbuck76
    When somebody grabs your wrist (and just stands there, too), you hit them with a Leopard fist (you know...those knuckles you knock on a door with) on the back of the hand. I'm sure the Dillman-Worshippers would call this a knockout technique.
    I actually have an interesting story about this. My cousin was taught this at a self defence seminar of some kind. When she got home she decided to show it off to her dad. She told him to grab her wrist. She proceded to knuckle-whip his hand.
    Apparently it was incredibly painful and swelled up for a week or something.
    So that one might work, even if there are more productive ways of dealing with someone grabbing your wrist.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/01/2005 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops

My friend who does Kendo says that you are only supposed to grab a shinai/bokken/sword with your bottom two fingers, lightly touch with your middle finger, and point the pointer finger outwards (relaxed, but not loose). AFAIK, that's with your bottom hand, the top one you only grab with your pointer and thumb and make that point act as a pivot for the whole thing. Grab a broom or something and play around with it. You'll see that you can exert more force with your bottom fingers than with your top ones.

PL
    But we weren't grabbing with the bottom fingers. We were grabbing with the middle and ring fingers, like Victorian aristocrats sipping from a karate teacup.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon
Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314152161 ... LastLast