Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 7:00pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by psyren View Post
    ~170cm, ~60kg. I don't have much fat, at least.
    You've got about 2 cm on me, but I've got about 6 kilo and would probably be considerable skinny/lean by most people. You probably ought to look into some barbell training and weight gain.

Also, if you've got it around, maybe give Judo a shot, especially if you don't have boxing lying around anywhere.

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 10:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate (shitou ryuu)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't seem to put on or lose any sort of weight. If I eat more and don't exercise, I turn into a space heater to burn off the energy. If I do exercise, all the energy is burnt. Even if I do extra muscle training in my spare time (push ups, sit ups, squats), it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Having said that, I don't really want to bulk up too much. I'm quite happy with my speed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 2:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by psyren View Post
    I can't seem to put on or lose any sort of weight. If I eat more and don't exercise, I turn into a space heater to burn off the energy. If I do exercise, all the energy is burnt. Even if I do extra muscle training in my spare time (push ups, sit ups, squats), it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Having said that, I don't really want to bulk up too much. I'm quite happy with my speed.
    Good lord. I see why strength trainers get really snappy. That said, I can appreciate where you're coming from.

First, the answer should be apparent from your statements: you should eat a LOT more, and you should exercise. That way, you'll gain weight, largely in the form of muscle. In particular, I like the Starting Strength program, but any program with compound barbell lifting (5x5, Westside for skinny bastards, GOMAD, Texas method, to name a few) will do you good.

Second, it's a huge misconception that lifting weights will make you slower. If you're gaining muscle, you'll move faster (to a point, anyway).

Ask any of the more experienced folk to confirm this if you'd like. I'm under the impression that this is the consensus for experienced martial artists.

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 11:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice.
    Do you have any good links on how I should go about building a diet/eating regime? I tend to eat until I'm quite full, but still end up (sometimes) snacking later on (more often drinking a bit of water to belay the hunger).

I currently have apps on my phone that I'm using to build my strength up to do X number of push ups/sit ups/squats in a row (sit ups, at least. Haven't started the others yet).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Comprehensive, concise, interesting: http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Follow it. All of it. Starting strength is among their recommendations, I would also recommend it.

I currently have apps on my phone that I'm using to build my strength up to do X number of push ups/sit ups/squats in a row (sit ups, at least. Haven't started the others yet).
    No. Again,

any program with compound barbell lifting (5x5, Westside for skinny bastards, GOMAD, Texas method, to name a few) will do you good.
    Look, if you really want some good strength for martial arts, you may have to get a bit fat for a while. You'll lose your six pack (you can't fool me, I was your height and weight before I started, I liked my pathetic six pack too) for a few months. Deal with it; it's not a good indication of strength anyway. Once you get heavier (probably at least 70kg), you can cut the fat, and you'll have your beloved six pack again. Besides which, if you put on that muscle, it'll stretch your skin out more, making the six pack more pronounced.

Posted On:
    7/30/2011 5:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, I don't care about my muscle tone, I just want them to work when needed.

Seems I just need to force myself to eat more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 11:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems I just need to force myself to eat more.
    No. Again,

No. Again,

any program with compound barbell lifting (5x5, Westside for skinny bastards, GOMAD, Texas method, to name a few) will do you good.
    Hard bodies take hard work.

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 7:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eating more will simply make you fatter, not bigger in the sense that you want. Good site: http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/index.htm A lot of misinformation out there so be careful and be sure to consult professionals before dedicating yourself to anything.

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 11:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the links you posted said that I need to eat 3 meals a day for the energy needed to exercise and gain weight.

Currently, I usually don't eat breakfast because I don't feel hungry in the morning, hence the 'force myself to eat more'.

In any case, how did this thread turn from a review of a school into 'you need to bulk up'?:Thoughtful:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12