Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 10:23am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to strengthen one's bare fist and tibia

Hi, as we all know, bare knuckle or street fights are a different situation all together than a sparring match. I think that a boxers first problem could be braking his own hand while punching. What can we do against that? do you guys know of an affective way to strengthen the bare fists? On that subject, we mostly box but also kick box a little, if you can give me and my friends some tips on conditioning the shin bones, especially in way that maybe incorporate some technique.

We don't fight in the streets by the way :) , we just live in a dangerous city, and it will be a shame not to be able to implement some of our boxing ability if need be. We also hardly compete now, its more of a "white collar" gym for students, a few law enforcement people, and some young dads and moms, so beside the great workout, i want to make it also "self defense" oriented a bit.

Thanks in advance

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 10:33am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved; not an advanced striking inquiry.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 11:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you can't condition the bones themselves. However, training the muscles around them will most probably get you the results you're looking for.

I don't know for the shins, tell me if you find anything: I have tibial periostitis (a.k.a. shin splints or medial tibial stress syndrome, MTSS) and I think strengthening the shin muscles might be helpful in my case.

For the fists though, I know quite a bit about conditioning of the forearms, wrists, fingers an grip strength in general, all of which will be useful for you and your friends. I must say that I use the following tips/exercises mostly to develop grip strength for powerlifting/strongman training more than for martial arts purposes so they might be a little overkill. Adapt them all you want, I'm merely providing ideas.

First of all, wrist strength is extremely important to be able to deliver a powerful punch safely. I like knuckle push ups to work that. Since I practice karate, I do them with most of my weight on the two first knuckles. I suppose you can do them with all four. What's great with these is that they also teach you proper wrist-fist alignment: if you aren't properly aligned, you will immediately feel it.

Next is finger and grip strength. The two are intertwined: build a strong grip and your fingers will get stronger, plus a strong grip is always useful in martial arts. FINGER PUSH UPS ARE USELESS. Seriously, don't do them. They do more harm than good. Rice digs, hand grippers, plate pinches, farmer's walks, heavy dumbbell holds and a myriad of other exercises I can't think of right now, on the other hand (no pun intended), will do wonders for you. Also, I don't know if you lift weights but if you do, for f*cks sake, do not use lifting straps. Deadlifts or shrugs (or again, other lifts I can't think of at the moment) without lifting straps are also a great, time-efficient way to work your grip.

And then there's the forearms. I'm in love with the wrist roller to work these. However, do not use it like most people do, with your arms up in front of you. Your shoulders will tire way faster than your forearms. Climb on a bench or something and roll the roller with your arms down. That way you can really focus on your forearms. I have found wrist curls to be completely useless for me so I don't do them at all.

There are also plenty of ways to work finger, grip and forearm strength together: buy a pair of fat gripz and do some assistance exercises with them on the barbell/dumbells you use. You will feel your hands and forearms work. I also like using sledgehammers: various sledgehammer swings on a tire and sledgehammer levering work especially well. Towel chin-ups/pull-ups are also really fun and really challenge your grip.

A last word of advice: it is very, very easy to overtrain your fingers, hands and grip. Be careful. Ease into your grip training and don't forget, you will get the best results if you choose just a few exercises and perform them well and consistently.

If anyone has any questions regarding this, just ask and I'll do my best to provide answers!
    Last edited by Ir0nHead; 7/20/2011 11:17am at . Reason: Edited out some typos.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 11:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    f you can give me and my friends some tips on conditioning the shin bones, especially in way that maybe incorporate some technique.
    Every decent MT fighter I've ever asked this just said to kick the bag about a trillion times.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 11:59am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ir0nHead View Post
    I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you can't condition the bones themselves. However, training the muscles around them will most probably get you the results you're looking for.

I don't know for the shins, tell me if you find anything: I have tibial periostitis (a.k.a. shin splints or medial tibial stress syndrome, MTSS) and I think strengthening the shin muscles might be helpful in my case.

For the fists though, I know quite a bit about conditioning of the forearms, wrists, fingers an grip strength in general, all of which will be useful for you and your friends. I must say that I use the following tips/exercises mostly to develop grip strength for powerlifting/strongman training more than for martial arts purposes so they might be a little overkill. Adapt them all you want, I'm merely providing ideas.

First of all, wrist strength is extremely important to be able to deliver a powerful punch safely. I like knuckle push ups to work that. Since I practice karate, I do them with most of my weight on the two first knuckles. I suppose you can do them with all four. What's great with these is that they also teach you proper wrist-fist alignment: if you aren't properly aligned, you will immediately feel it.

Next is finger and grip strength. The two are intertwined: build a strong grip and your fingers will get stronger, plus a strong grip is always useful in martial arts. FINGER PUSH UPS ARE USELESS. Seriously, don't do them. They do more harm than good. Rice digs, hand grippers, plate pinches, farmer's walks, heavy dumbbell holds and a myriad of other exercises I can't think of right now, on the other hand (no pun intended), will do wonders for you. Also, I don't know if you lift weights but if you do, for f*cks sake, do not use lifting straps. Deadlifts or shrugs (or again, other lifts I can't think of at the moment) without lifting straps are also a great, time-efficient way to work your grip.

And then there's the forearms. I'm in love with the wrist roller to work these. However, do not use it like most people do, with your arms up in front of you. Your shoulders will tire way faster than your forearms. Climb on a bench or something and roll the roller with your arms down. That way you can really focus on your forearms. I have found wrist curls to be completely useless for me so I don't do them at all.

There are also plenty of ways to work finger, grip and forearm strength together: buy a pair of fat gripz and do some assistance exercises with them on the barbell/dumbells you use. You will feel your hands and forearms work. I also like using sledgehammers: various sledgehammer swings on a tire and sledgehammer levering work especially well. Towel chin-ups/pull-ups are also really fun and really challenge your grip.

A last word of advice: it is very, very easy to overtrain your fingers, hands and grip. Be careful. Ease into your grip training and don't forget, you will get the best results if you choose just a few exercises and perform them well and consistently.

If anyone has any questions regarding this, just ask and I'll do my best to provide answers!
    You are right. You are no expert. Maybe you shouldn't say anything on this.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 12:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hit a banana bag bare shinned and bare handed. Make sure you actually know how to punch before you go too nuts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 1:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    You are right. You are no expert. Maybe you shouldn't say anything on this.
    I meant to help, not overstep.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 2:53pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ir0nHead View Post
    I meant to help, not overstep.
    I understand. I tend to be blunt. Sometimes the best help is not to say anything at all. This thread made me put my class through hand conditioning today. I'm going to try to get a real expert on here. I could give advice but I know somebody who is more educated than I.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 2:57pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand. I tend to be blunt. Sometimes the best help is not to say anything at all. This thread made me put my class through hand conditioning today. I'm going to try to get a real expert on here. I could give advice but I know somebody who is more educated than I.
    I would appreciate that too Omega, I have always wondered about the effect of the 2 knuckle push ups for instance, I realised I was repeating what was said above (hand postion etc) by rote without any real understanding to students (very bad of me) so it would be great to get someone with real knowledge to put some facts out

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 3:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well then why the **** did I register if it's better that I say nothing at all? I do have "real knowledge" on finger, hand, forearm and grip strength and I thought I was qualified to answer erezb's question. This is a forum after all, not an expert's Q&A. Anyway, if you do find an expert in hand conditioning for martial arts and get the answers you want, I'll be interested. Until then, just wondering, why isn't my answer satisfying?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast