Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bartitsu School of Arms: London 2011

Details of the upcoming international Bartitsu conference and seminar event, taking place in London, U.K. between August 26-28:

Premise

To preserve and extend the pioneering martial arts cross-training experiments begun by E. W. Barton-Wright at the original Bartitsu School of Arms and Physical Culture, circa 1901 ...

The 2011 School of Arms will be a “combat laboratory” with participants collaborating as martial athletes, historical scholars and research analysts. Our days will include whole-group training sessions as well as skills-based circuit training and breakout groups concentrating on particular areas of interest. Some cross-training sessions will be team-taught by instructors and others will involve peer-to-peer work.

Our training themes will include:

“Belabour him as you see fit” – Bartitsu cross-training and combat improvisation drills

“The manly and efficacious art” – fisticuffs/19th century pugilism

“The ordinary walking-stick as a means of self defence”

“Secret styles of Japanese wrestling” – the eclectic jujitsu of early 20th century London

“Returning kicks with interest” – kicking and counter-kicking drills

“Physical culture” – strength and fitness exercises in the Edwardian tradition

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 1:23am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post

Details of the upcoming international Bartitsu conference and seminar event, taking place in London, U.K. between August 26-28:
    How can there be a seminar on something that A:Doesnt exist. B: Has no-one to teach it. C: Still wont exist no matter how hard you all try.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 1:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    How can there be a seminar on something that A:Doesnt exist. B: Has no-one to teach it. C: Still wont exist no matter how hard you all try.
    Start here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu - and feel free to get back to me with any questions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 1:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didnt say it never existed. I merely implied that it was in the same state as Koga Ryu. It existed, but there is no Direct knowledge passed on other than in text.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 2:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    I didnt say it never existed. I merely implied that it was in the same state as Koga Ryu. It existed, but there is no Direct knowledge passed on other than in text.
    Are you sure that Koga Ryu existed historically in the sense that Bartitsu existed?

Anyway, I understand the argument that a martial art has to be passed down directly from teacher to student to be considered legitimate. Bartitsu is among the dozens of historically extinct martial arts that are being revived by a combination of research and pressure-testing. The fact that no revived style is ever going to be an exact duplicate of the original is taken for granted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 2:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont take it for granted. I just disagree with the lack of transparency in advertising.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 2:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you look at the promotional page, you'll see that the Wikipedia article on Bartitsu, which explains the modern revival as well as the history, is linked to in the very first sentence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome. If you dont mind me asking a personal question, do you think Bartitsu was the first real attempt at cross training/ MMA. i.e, styles that didnt develop together (MT, Krabi) being brought together with one focus in mind? Im discounting CMA'S for obvious reasons.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as we've ever been able to determine, Bartitsu was literally the first deliberate cross-training method between previously separate Asian and European styles for recreational and self defense purposes. There were earlier instances of, say, European weapons being adapted to Japanese MA (jukenjutsu and tanjojutsu are good examples, re, the European style bayonet and walking stick, respectively).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For reference, i dont believe cross training in weaponry counts. That , thanks to mans nasty habit of endless war was necessity. I personally like how each art was assessed on its efficacy before being invited into Bartitsu. It implies that rather go for quantity and variety, quality and potency were the real aims.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast