If only it was hosted by a group with a somewhat less lame promo vid:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently they're imposing ten timed rounds, which is a major departure from the rules of the London Prize Ring. I'll be interested to see whether the promoters are allowing standing grappling and throws, as per original LPR rules, or whether the fighters will just be doing regular Queensberry-style boxing without gloves.

Under authentic LPR rules, the match continues until one fighter is KO'd or surrenders (no points decisions, etc.) and "rounds" are ended when a boxer hits the canvas, either via knockdown or throw.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 12:27am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a circus act.

OTOH, I'm curious how LPR compares to Queensberry. Is it safer due to lack of gloves -- as many people imply?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 2:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read an article by a neurosurgeon years ago, at least semi-seriously proposing a return to LPR/bare-knuckle as a safer alternative to Queensberry rules. The reasoning was that gloves preserve the fists and spread the force of a punch, allowing and more frequent concussive punches to the head as opposed to the cuts and fractures associated with bare knuckle blows, over a longer career. Also, I guess, the fact that LPR rules allowed throws from standing grapples would also cut down on the time spent getting punched in the head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 9:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Also, I guess, the fact that LPR rules allowed throws from standing grapples would also cut down on the time spent getting punched in the head.
    I could see this totally negating the pressure fighter's strategy of getting to the inside in order to deliver a few good hooks. As it stands, the reason why guys like Wladimir Klitschko are in good health is because of the clinch. Nobody's been able to get to his inside successfully for almost six years.

Contrast that with the Rios-Antillon fight I saw two weeks ago. The fight ended in three rounds because both of them prefer going to the inside. The whole thing was simply a battle of attrition -- it was about whose jaw wouldn't crack first.

Why do you think Queensberry superseded LPR?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 10:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO the decision had virtually nothing to do with the actual fighting style. LPR/BKB prizefighting was legislated out of existence during the 1880s due to the moral panic generated by the "Fancy" subculture of gambling, "womanizing", rioting etc. that surrounded it. Bare-knuckle pugilism was legally considered to be "assault with actual bodily harm", regardless of the fact that it was consensual.

The Queensberry rules significantly banned throwing and introduced timed rounds, leading to the concept of points victory rather than KO/submission, etc.; basically, it offered just enough of a "civilizing" influence to rescue boxing from being banned outright, allowing for the development of more professional and "respectable" legislating bodies.

I think a sensible, savvy revival of the LPR style (say, MMA gloves, any above the belt punches allowed, throws but not groundfighting allowed, fought to KO, surrender or points victory) would actually stand a chance of catching on. We've had those discussions before -
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...23&pagenumber=
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78207
    Last edited by DdlR; 7/20/2011 10:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 11:23pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DdlR,

Hope I don't derail this thread too much got a question for you regarding LPR experimental rules but I didn't want to necro that other thread. I read this

10) That kicking, or deliberately falling on an antagonist with the knees or otherwise when down, shall be deemed foul.

as being curious. I was under the impression that falling on the person you've just thrown, or rather falling onto the person you've thrown, as legal if you didn't do so with your knees. Am I recalling the rules wrong? Thanks for the help.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 12:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just re-reading that thread and I wondered about that, too. The wording is verbatim from the 1853 LPR rules, but it is a bit ambiguous. I think it means that you can't throw the guy and then fall on him as a separate action, or fall on him if he's down for some other reason (a knock-down or whatever); presumably falling on him is OK as long as the fall is an intrinsic part of the throw and doesn't involve striking with the knees.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 5:11pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just re-reading that thread and I wondered about that, too. The wording is verbatim from the 1853 LPR rules, but it is a bit ambiguous. I think it means that you can't throw the guy and then fall on him as a separate action, or fall on him if he's down for some other reason (a knock-down or whatever); presumably falling on him is OK as long as the fall is an intrinsic part of the throw and doesn't involve striking with the knees.
    Ok, makes sense. I was thinking something along the same lines. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 6:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Queensberry rules significantly banned throwing and introduced timed rounds, leading to the concept of points victory rather than KO/submission, etc.; basically, it offered just enough of a "civilizing" influence to rescue boxing from being banned outright, allowing for the development of more professional and "respectable" legislating bodies.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. LPR didn't have the same hook-ups in other locales that it had in Britain. There must have been some other overriding reason that caused LPR to die and Queensberry to reign supreme.

Personally speaking, I think the timed rounds of Queenberry may have had something to do with it. Instead of the 30 seconds of rest that could have happened whenever a boxer got winded, Queensberry rules stated that for 3 minutes boxers had to fight.

IMO, I think LPR with timed rounds could prove popular. Fighters could crosstrain in judo or old-style Cornish wrestling. There'd be less knock outs, but there'd also be more aesthetically pleasing knockdowns.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast