Posted On:
    8/04/2011 4:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GKR_Instructor View Post
    Hi guys,

I have done a lot of reading on this site about the style in which I train in and have noticed that not a single Go Kan Ryu (henceforth "GKR") Instructor has posted to answer any question's you all seem to have.
    Perhaps, in turn, we can answer any questions you might have about training in a martial art.

I have decided to personally attempt to take some tension away and answer any questions you have for me and the style I represent.
    Are you speaking as a representative of GKR, or personally?
    Are you UK? Which region?
    Australia? Which region?
    Before you get started into ripping in on what I believe is a system that has its flaws, please keep in mind that I am volunteering my time to try and make a positive difference. If you choose to take this opportunity to try and rip on me for everything you have against the School, I will simply walk away and never return.
    For reference, I'm the guy that's been posting an awful lot about your system. I have access to your paper training manuals, your DVD (how 2 b an instructor and stuff), attended classes, visited a tournament... I have a black belt instructor to supply me with info; I have a brown belt instructor on tap, also.
    What can you tell me about GKR that I can't find out by picking up a phone?

I have no interest in fighting
    LOLZ

A little about me;

- I have been training since I was 13
    - I am now 20 (going on 8 years of training)
    - Recently appointed Sho Dan (1st Dan Blackbelt) as of Nov. 2010.
    Have you done any martial arts, or just GKR?

I only ask that we all be civil and will make the most of this :-)
    Non-contact discussion? How very, very sweet.
    :problem:
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 1:10am

Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GKR isn't a martial art. I went to a few classes about 4 years ago. There was very little organisation. "Instructors" were not correcting student mistakes. Gradings were just given out. Pyramid scheme

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 2:45am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    GKR isn't a martial art. I went to a few classes about 4 years ago. There was very little organisation. "Instructors" were not correcting student mistakes. Gradings were just given out. Pyramid scheme
    Just as was asked of the gentleman who brought this thread... can you elaborate on your experience? Tell us about what you found in those classes, why you claim they're not even a martial art, why they are a McDojo and pyramid scheme, etc etc.

You know, parity and all.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 4:07am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by O.P
    GKR Instructor willing to have a conversation with you...
    Even the title was bullshit and full of untruths apparently.

* sad monkey*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 5:03am

Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    Just as was asked of the gentleman who brought this thread... can you elaborate on your experience? Tell us about what you found in those classes, why you claim they're not even a martial art, why they are a McDojo and pyramid scheme, etc etc.

That's fair. I guess I can't speak for the entire organization, but from my own personal experience. I have been to a few of these dojos. But every time I've been to one, i've seen black belts kick just as poorly as white belts. Then the instructors were unwilling to spar. There is definitely nothing martial about that. The pyramid scheme from my understanding, is where does all the money go? You become a black belt, you teach, you try to get more students into your club? Get them to bring in friends, etc. Then where does the money go? The instructors, some of it. But I'm sure that Robert Sullivan gets his "fair" percentage as well. In fact I hope that Robert Sullivan can join this forum and dispel what I have to say with solid evidence. If he can do that, I will make a very public apology.
    Last edited by Ben Grimm; 8/09/2011 5:09am at . Reason: Needed to type more

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 5:51am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    That's fair. I guess I can't speak for the entire organization, but from my own personal experience. I have been to a few of these dojos. But every time I've been to one, i've seen black belts kick just as poorly as white belts. Then the instructors were unwilling to spar. There is definitely nothing martial about that. The pyramid scheme from my understanding, is where does all the money go? You become a black belt, you teach, you try to get more students into your club? Get them to bring in friends, etc. Then where does the money go? The instructors, some of it. But I'm sure that Robert Sullivan gets his "fair" percentage as well. In fact I hope that Robert Sullivan can join this forum and dispel what I have to say with solid evidence. If he can do that, I will make a very public apology.
    Couldn't agree more, I've seen exactly the same in the UK as per previous posts. I think perhaps the problem is that all of us on this site are looking at GKR from the perspective that it is a martial arts organisation. It isn't, it's a sales company that happens to sell karate as it's product. If it could make more money out of nuts and bolts then it would move to selling nuts and bolts.

GKR does not view itself as somewhere where you can learn well taught karate but rather as a way of maximising the profits for it's members higher up it's chain. Due to this the quality of the karate will always be crap.

Do GKR care about this? - no I don't think they do. It's managements prime goal is too make money so I really don't think that they could give a toss about Bullshido or other negative feedback in other forums whilst they are making cash. There are a few well meaning souls like the guy who started this post who question the ethos of GKR but they are not representative of the organisation and only represent the "punters", who in this case are trying to justify that GKR is ripping them off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 6:03am

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post

In Australia even the lamer martial arts put **** on gkr.

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 9:22am

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many Go-KanRyu does it take to break a board?

Three.

One to sell you the board.

One to promote you to instructor before you break the board.

And one to tell you go out and recruit more students before you try to break the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 10:38am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    who sells you the insurance?

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 10:50am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One part of the GKR's Martial arm must be effective.

The bit that snuffs out the leaks. Where did the OP go? We'll never know.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast