Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 3:09am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    I would keep it here because he is attempting to address other MABS threads, and presumably will bring proof to help his GKR defense. Now if such a factual based defense is not offered after a couple months then it could probably be moved to YMAS. The contents of the thread will make it either MABS or YMAS worthy.
    I would say YMAs, with the best will in the world I really don't that GKR Instructor will be able to offer any new insights beyond what has been posted on other threads on this or other forums. However, I am pleased that at last a GKR Instructor has posted, it would be better to have one of their regional sales managers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 3:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you ever trained at any other karate/other martial art schools? If so, how did they compare to GKR? If you haven't done so may I suggest that you do so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 5:27am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a question...

How long is the average time and what are the requirements to gain a black belt in GKR karate?

I ask this as I've read on a few threads (not only here) contradicting information, eg: GKR is a black belt mill (they hand them out like candy) and no it isn't (it take years, in some cases with the same amount of training up to twice as long as other traditional & modern karate styles). I know everyone trains differently, so assuming the same person trains the same at both clubs. As I've read (can't remember if it was on here or another forum) that unofficially (or even officially), you have to generate X amount of revenue/spend X amount (depending if you're an instructor or a student) before you can gain your black belt.

I'm not trying to knock or defend GKR karate, as I've no experience with this style. However this thread, as well as others, has peaked my interest.

-Ken

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 6:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Combat SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ask this as I've read on a few threads (not only here) contradicting information, eg: GKR is a black belt mill (they hand them out like candy) and no it isn't (it take years, in some cases with the same amount of training up to twice as long as other traditional & modern karate styles).
    I trained with GKR maybe 15 year ago in NZ, and from what I remember, gradings were generally based on how many classes/how much training you did. So if you trained once a week, it would take much longer than if you trained 3 times a week or more. And then it depends on your instructors view of 'if you're ready' for a grading. So it could be very different for different people.
    Again the gradings were based on (I haven't been near a GKR dojo in over 10 years) kata, so before shodan grading you could be hopeless at kumite and still go up a grade. Wow, congratulations! Now you're a red belt!
    I guess that's what I appreciate about SAMBO; no 'belts'. Only grades where a grading is a fight. If you're not ready for your grading you may get your arm broken.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 6:43am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks mate :)

Quote Originally Posted by PCFinn View Post
    ...I guess that's what I appreciate about SAMBO; no 'belts'. Only grades where a grading is a fight. If you're not ready for your grading you may get your arm broken.
    :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 6:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PCFinn View Post
    I trained with GKR maybe 15 year ago in NZ, and from what I remember, gradings were generally based on how many classes/how much training you did. So if you trained once a week, it would take much longer than if you trained 3 times a week or more. And then it depends on your instructors view of 'if you're ready' for a grading. So it could be very different for different people.
    Again the gradings were based on (I haven't been near a GKR dojo in over 10 years) kata, so before shodan grading you could be hopeless at kumite and still go up a grade. Wow, congratulations! Now you're a red belt!
    I guess that's what I appreciate about SAMBO; no 'belts'. Only grades where a grading is a fight. If you're not ready for your grading you may get your arm broken.
    From what I gather, that is the same in the UK. From what I've seen (not a lot) that belts are just given out at lower levels (probably to keep the paying kids coming)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 9:31am

Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    From what I gather, that is the same in the UK. From what I've seen (not a lot) that belts are just given out at lower levels (probably to keep the paying kids coming)
    In the UK you are guarenteed a yellow belt within 3 months or you get your membership fee back, which was 85 but discounted to 22 if you signed up on the spot.

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 6:49pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    Plus new members have to make an initial payment to cover the school's insurance costs. The last time I heard this amount it was $165. For a non-contact school, that's a ridiculous add on expense.
    My FULL CONTACT MMA insurance is roughly $500 a year...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2011 12:47am

Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason View Post
    My FULL CONTACT MMA insurance is roughly $500 a year...
    in contrast my annual UK AMA insurance and membership is 11 a year...

the other concern with GKR is that if the insurance is for Non contact are you covered if the instructor actually does contact sparring?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2011 2:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzbevan View Post
    in contrast my annual UK AMA insurance and membership is 11 a year...

the other concern with GKR is that if the insurance is for Non contact are you covered if the instructor actually does contact sparring?
    I suspect that knowing insurance companies that probably invalidates it.

The other thing I wonder is that bearing in mind that the majority of students are kids - how many of the instructors are CRB (police) checked???

I suspect that we might wait a long time for that answer as I suspect that our GKR instructor won't be posting again on this forum. Shame as I was looking forward to his replies.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast