Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 12:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=25456&page=1 the rape of karate

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=54284&page=1 GKR is a pyramid scheme

Among other similar theads (read like 6 of them ) that reapeat the same sentiment

its a comercial organisation Mcdojo with point sparing karate and focus on self defense. There maybe 1 or 2 good dojos out there but generally it sucks and best to stay away.

i think that sums it up.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 12:14pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mmmmm...kay.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I'll take a whack at it, having no firsthand opinion of GKR because I don't think you're in my neck of the woods. So, I'm mostly going to try to reference their own materials so I can't be changing the tone or whatever.

First, there's this: "GKR Karate is taught in a non-contact environment", so apparently there's no contact in GKR. Which would be fine, if they weren't learning to defend themselves from, one would presume, contact. But they also say this: "GKR is a club for all ages and promotes self-defence, fitness, coordination, discipline, confidence and stress relief." Note: self defense. Learning self defense via martial arts requires contact, at least many of us here will tell you. How do you respond to this paragraph?

Next, there's been some talk about high pressure door to door sales tactics administered by instructors who have very little experience in karate. Both parts of that concern me, and the term "pyramid scheme" was used. Does GKR use some kind of multilevel marketing? How much experience does it take to be a door to door GKR salesman?

I think that's a good start.

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 8:22pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plus new members have to make an initial payment to cover the school's insurance costs. The last time I heard this amount it was $165. For a non-contact school, that's a ridiculous add on expense.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 9:49pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll go ahead and play a little devil's advocate here.

Why did you decide to start training in GKR originally, as opposed to another style?
    Since you started training in GKR, have you trained in any other styles, or have you considered doing so? If not, why not?
    You stated above that you believe there are flaws within the organization that you recognize, but don't believe constitute enough to leave the style. (All styles and organizations have them) What are these flaws, and why are they insignificant?
    What are the best aspects of GKR? Why have you stayed so long, what makes you happy?
    If you could go back and do it all over again, would you still choose GKR? Why or why not?
    Alright man, here's your chance. Give it to us straight.

I'm actually holding out a little bit of hope for this one, as far as reason is concerned. But I've been disappointed before...
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    subscribed.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 11:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fail to see why this is still in MABS, unless GKR_Instructor is accusing his own style of being Bullshido. This does not appear to be the case.

However, since several staff members who are all senior to me have seen fit to leave it here, I will do the same.

To GKR_Instructor, so you'll leave the site if we don't agree to have a civil discussion with you? Your lack of discipline and tenacity is duly noted. That does not reflect well upon your chosen martial art by the way.

I've been here for six years and been insulted countless times. I'm still here because uncivilized debate doesn't make me cower. How about you?

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 11:20pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would keep it here because he is attempting to address other MABS threads, and presumably will bring proof to help his GKR defense. Now if such a factual based defense is not offered after a couple months then it could probably be moved to YMAS. The contents of the thread will make it either MABS or YMAS worthy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 2:54am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My question for you is which country do you practice GKR in? I've seen some of their "sensai's" in the UK who have been doing GKR for 6 months and are leading classes. I saw one "sensai" demonstarting kicks and falling over. Not exactly a ringing endorsment for your style.

I've have also sat in on classes where the "sensai" spends roughly a third of the lesson playing "sensai says" (e.g. Simon Say's but changed to a karate environment), this hardly constitutes high quality training.

In the classes that I have seen the majority of the students are young kids who's parents drop them off and are probably not too critical of what is being taught as some door to door salesman has told them it is Karate.

I have no problem with a school agressivly marketing itself providing the quality of what is being delivered is of high quality. GKR's "karate" in the UK is anything but high quality.

I can't comment on the quality of the karate delivered in the rest of the world but in the UK it is dire. I would be interested to see how you can defend such rubbish.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 3:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am assuming you ended up in what you consider a more competent GKR school, so I would ask you where you train, or if you don't want to answer that, do you have any videos of your training?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast