Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 1st thread!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

1st thread!

Hello, I'm G. I'm 16 years old, from Quebec City, Canada, and I started martial arts training about a month ago. My school teaches Nick Cerio's Kenpo and I love it, I go to these classes 4 to 6 times a week. And there's also more "general" combat classes, I go there two times a week.

So yeah, I'm completely new to martial arts. I know almost nothing yet but I'm motivated and ready to learn everything I can.

I do not, say again I DO NOT do it to impress friends or whatever. I just plain don't give a **** about what they'd think anyway (plus karate really isn't the most impressive martial art I could have picked, right?). Almost no one knows I practice karate, I don't talk about it at all. I do it for myself. It might sound weird but I'm sure at least some of you can relate.

What else.

I'm currently about 5'11", 180 lbs, 10% bodyfat.

I also play football (outside linebacker) and competitive (all-star) cheerleading. Laugh all you want about the latter, once again I don't give a flying f*ck what people think, I think cheer is friggin awesome.

My big passion is strength. Not only training but also eating, recovery, etc. I think I'm pretty knowledgeable on stuff relating to that but I keep learning new things every day.

Oh and I had some questions regarding meditation. I really want to do it, I think it might help me with many aspects of my life, but I don't know where to begin. I've read a bit about zazen and qigong, I know they're quite different but I heard both are good.

What should I start with? Are there any resources I can use (books, websites...) to learn these methods?

Thanks to all of you, this website seems to be a great place!

PS: As I said in the beginning, I'm from Quebec City, Canada. My first language is French, not English. Sorry if my English isn't perfect, I hope it's still understandable!

Style
    Stabbing the Face.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. There are some other Ke?po practitioners on here, like Ke?po Fist, who might be able to help you out if you need advice.

And don't worry, English isn't my first language either, you're doing just fine.

Style
    Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido from another ESL, you're doing great!

There are also great people to ask about physical training on this board.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you! I didn't come here to learn more about physical training though, but more to learn about martial arts and, as I said, meditation. Can anyone here help me with the questions I asked on that subject?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bump?

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For meditation, I'd recommend starting with a basic Taoist style Microcosmic orbit.

Ideally get a guided recording of some kind that'll talk you through it as you do it.

The guy telling you what to think about will help stop you daydreaming. After that, doing the same without someones voice will still offer distraction deterrent by way of having a sequence to think about.

Shift to something like zazen when you can sit still for 15 minutes without drifting into thinking about what you're having for dinner.

In my (humble) view, the simpler is better. Also, sadly, simpler is HARDER.

You are likely to find your body will resist. Things will itch, twitch and otherwise attempt to distract. In hypnosis, we used to refer to this as "reality checking". That'll reduce with familiarity.

Chances are though that you may find other forms of internal resistance that will manifest as excuses for not doing it at all. Make fixed times to do it, and stick to them until this passes.

When I first meditate after any time off, I find I am likely to have bad dreams that night. That could just be me.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ir0nHead View Post
    I also play football (outside linebacker) and competitive (all-star) cheerleading. Laugh all you want about the latter, once again I don't give a flying f*ck what people think, I think cheer is friggin awesome.
    Welcome to Bullshido! You don't need to censor yourself here.

Style
    Judo Sandbagger
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Site,

Quebec represent!

I have no answer to your meditation question, as I am too tired, stressed, busy and overwhelmed to look into it.

I didn't know about your style until recently. Just a note, eventually when you have a cut, bruise or black eye, someone is going to find out you are doing MA.

Glad there are more 'beckers here.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ignorami, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks a lot for the advice. Is this how you started? And do you have any idea where I could find some guided recording? I searched a bit but nothing comes up.

KO'd N DOA, do you speak French? And yeah, I know some people will eventually know about me and MA but I don't care. I'm not trying to hide it, I just don't tell people about it. However I don't think cuts, bruises or black eyes (well ok maybe black eyes) will be a problem, I already got a fair share from football.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

You're far too enthusiastic and up beat for this place. You need to be more jaded and cynical.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last