Best way to assess an instructor's Muay Thai credentials?
So very near to my house I have a gym/dojo I am eyeballing. If the head instructor's claims are worth a toot, he seems like he has plenty of experience in several alive striking arts.
According to the gym's site http://www.emptyhandcombat.com sifu Cosmo Simik (spelled elsewhere as Cosmo Zimik) has the following experience:
• Burmese Thaing Bando - 25 years.
• Chin Nah - 19 years.
• Edge Weapons, Sword and Sticks - 20 years.
• Muay Thai - 19 years.
• Train Law Enforcement and Military.
• Law enforcement - 5 1/2 years.
• Taught in India, China, Nepal, Myanmar, Australia and USA.
• Tae Kwondo - 3rd Degree Black Belt.
• Shi Sei Kan Karate -Do - Black Belt.
• Compete in Muay Thai Boxing, Kick boxing, Kung Fu, Karate and Taekwondo Tournaments.
• Specialized in weapons retention and Chin Nah.
• Personal Coach for stand up fight in MMA and combat styles for survival.
• Train Bodyguard and VIP protection.
• Work with "At Risk Youth."
• Mentor Youth and Young Adult.
In an article linked to the "About" section of the website, it explains that Cosmo grew up on the India/Burma boarder where he began his martial arts journey, and has several years of law enforcement experience.
Basically I am looking for a way to asses his Muay Thai experience. It would also be nice if someone could weigh in on Shi Sei Kan Karate, since my googlings and wikipedia searching so far has told me little.
I have already emailed Cosmo and he told me he brings in outside instructors for Jiu Jitsu so he isn't trying to paint himself as all knowing or anything, which I appreciated.
Anyway, if anyone has a place I can look his credentials up, or some advice for further investigating the school, your input is appreciated.
How do I asses the legitimacy of a Muay Thai instructor.
Last edited by Krijgsman; 7/18/2011 4:21pm at .
Reason: spelling fail
Find out his record and if he's produced any fighters.
I found in the website's FAQ (its a pretty **** website) that the Muay Thai program is under Muay Thai Mission connected to a Kru Doc Docto. Ring any bells (good or bad) to anyone?
you left an "s" off your thread title, thus making its meaning VERY VERY DIFFERENT.
Best way to asses an instructor's Muay Thai credentials?
****. Sorry. I do not want to cornhole a local MT instructor. Title changed (though with my spelling skills I may have just failed harder).
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken