Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Competition tip for a noob

So I finally decided to man up and signed up for a BJJ tournament. Can some of the more experienced members give some tips and advice for this Jiu Jitsu noob?

EDIT:
    The Tournament is this Saturday the 30th.

Style
    Aikido, bits of jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from one noob to another: you are not going to rock the world like BJ Penn entering his first judo competition. That's ok.

Do all the sensible things that you should with any sport. Now is too late for technical advice and probably the wrong place to get it (your coach should be where you get your technical advice).

Aside from technical advice I'll put on my captain obvious hat:

• eat well, relax and get a good night's sleep the day before
    • pack your bag the night before and check it has everything you'd use for normal class plus paperwork, water bottle, snacks, extra top to keep warm between bouts, a small video recorder and extra safety gear if needed
    • arrive on time (leave extra time for traffic / getting lost if it's an unfamiliar gymn)
    • meet up and talk with your team mates and coach
    • check out when your division is on, keep up to date with changes as the day goes on
    • weigh in and register on time
    • plan when you need to start warming up well ahead of your first bout
    • talk to your coach
    • ask a team mate to record your bouts for you
    • mentally switch on a few minutes before your bout
    • shake hands with your opponent
    • don't be a dick on the mat, you'll be meeting these people again, but realise that this will be a little more intense than rolling in class
    • it's ok to tap but not ok to injure someone else or yourself, see "don't be a dick" above
    • continue to be "not a dick" after your match, shake hands with the guys in your division afterwards
    • cool down and talk to your coach
    • shower and go home
    • review the videos
    • get back to training armed with the review from the video e.g. "Coach, I got caught twice by guillotine choke, what should I be doing differently?"

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not really looking for technical advice, more things along the lines of mental preparation and attitude I should have walking into it. Besides, I have been preparing since beginning of the month :p

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have fun, try not to get too nervous (nobody is counting except you) and tap if you're caught.

Oh yeah, and decide in advance if you've got a take-down good enough that it's worth going for or just pull guard and do it quickly. The most common losing mistake I see in white belt BJJ is blowing all your energy on the feet when you have 0 wrestling/Judo.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it wrong to rely on just ONE throw/take down? I have been drilling drop seoi nage endlessly and pulled it off during rolling.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For your first comp as a white belt having one throw/takedown is probably one more than most of your opponents.
    If you think you can hit the drop seoi nage then go for it, but have an plan/idea for what you will do if it fails.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepykid156 View Post
    Is it wrong to rely on just ONE throw/take down?
    Not at all, especially at low-level it's a lot more productive than having five half-arsed ones. And it's one more than the average BJJ white belt will have.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepykid156 View Post
    I have been drilling drop seoi nage endlessly and pulled it off during rolling.
    Most people consider that a pretty dangerous move for BJJ, but if you can do it fairly consistently without getting your back taken then go for it.