Posted On:
    2/21/2007 2:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj,mt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NJ Schools????

Hey everyone, brand newbian here.
    Anyone know of good schools in NJ that do MMA, but also some reality self-defense type stuff. I was looking into Alex Wilkie's in Bridgewater, Modern Martial Arts in Woodbridge and Royler Gracie schools in the area. Anyone know any other good ones in the Union County area?
    First, does anyone know Alex Wilkie's background and who he trained under exactly?
    Second, does anyone know if the Royler schools are strictly BJJ, or do they crosstrain in anything stand-up, self-defense, etc. I would rather do a little of everything, not just strictly MMA.
    Thanks!

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 7:05pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved to YMAS.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 8:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Louis Vintaloro is RGDA and i think has kickboxing, judo, and maybe mma?
    Advanced Martial Arts in North Brunswick is RGDA has kickboxing, mma (i think), bjj taught by purple belt, and judo taught by black belt judoka

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 10:21am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by witchway
    Hey everyone, brand newbian here.
    Anyone know of good schools in NJ that do MMA, but also some reality self-defense type stuff. I was looking into Alex Wilkie's in Bridgewater, Modern Martial Arts in Woodbridge and Royler Gracie schools in the area. Anyone know any other good ones in the Union County area?
    First, does anyone know Alex Wilkie's background and who he trained under exactly?
    Second, does anyone know if the Royler schools are strictly BJJ, or do they crosstrain in anything stand-up, self-defense, etc. I would rather do a little of everything, not just strictly MMA.
    Thanks!
    if you ever come back... try this thread...
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47789

Mostly its talking BJJ around the union area but a bunch of these schools have a mixed curriculum. For anything RBSD you may be looking for a different mix. The Integrated Martial Arts schools ( or whatever they're called now - they seem to have split and rebranded - you should be able to find them still through google) offer FIGHT and they also teach a mix of other stuff... JKD, Escrima, kickboxing....

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 12:00am

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two-time U.S. Olympic Judo Coach, Sensei Yoshiada Yonezuka, has his school in Cranford.

www.cranfordjkc.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can vouch for that,
    I know a guy that trains there, competes in the Nationals for Judo, very successful too, and they have David Ellis, who I heard taps black belts in BJJ as a brown, etc.

I saw them training and it was intense, and the instructor participated in the randori and helped along the less experienced, and is obviously a good instructor and has pumped out MANY great competitors

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 11:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twKoxinga
    I can vouch for that,
    I know a guy that trains there, competes in the Nationals for Judo, very successful too, and they have David Ellis, who I heard taps black belts in BJJ as a brown, etc.

I saw them training and it was intense, and the instructor participated in the randori and helped along the less experienced, and is obviously a good instructor and has pumped out MANY great competitors
    any idea on the fees? monthly?

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 11:17pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you pay ahead for six months, last time I checked, it's $75 a month. Even more if you pay ahead for a year. Otherwise it's like $110 a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 3:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just go visit the dojo and watch a session, if you go early the instructor seemed really friendly and explained the pricing and details.

I know I would definitely be training there if it wasn't like 30-45 minutes away.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 10:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twKoxinga
    Just go visit the dojo and watch a session, if you go early the instructor seemed really friendly and explained the pricing and details.

I know I would definitely be training there if it wasn't like 30-45 minutes away.
    cheers. I'm not quite that far away but not totally close either so was just wondering if it's priced well enough to be worthwhile.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast