My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 11:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Anyone who has read any sort of legalese knows "CYA" wording and it is all through the by laws.
    Anyone who has proclaimed themselves an expert and long time member of the USJA over the decades as well.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 12:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    It's funny Sam, but a bit much for MABS. If Yellow to 6th dan in 3 years is ridiculous, Yellow to 8th dan in 10 is almost worse just because of how high a rank that really is. Most of us would be lucky to be a lowly Nidan with 10 years of Judo, and will never meet a legit Hachidan as long as we live.
    Try to get your facts straight and state them correctly.

Lowry started Judo and Aikido in 1992, correct? So he had been doing Judo and was promoted in KG system. He was not a yellow belt. If you are talking about another of the KG group of promotions, the same thing probably applies.

I' m not defending the USJA procedures of howerver they wangled the deal, in fact, I don't care.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where does it say I was even talking about Lowry?

I was referencing this post:

There's no information in the data I posted that bears on the background check issue, but I wanted to comment on records of this type:

22651 1/31/2009 12/7/2006 Judo Hachidan 11/4/1996 Judo Schichikyu
    3632927 1/31/2012 12/7/2006 Judo Rokudan 1/15/2003 Judo Schichikyu

While someone coming in from Geis' organization at (say) Rokudan might well be at that level, since we don't know how long theywere with Mr Geis before they joined JA, it's interesting to look at people from that group that had pre-existing JA rank prior to the mass promotion.

Promotion from Sichikyu (yellow belt) to Rokudan in 3 years? Really?
    Edit: removed after a reread of Ben's post.

The two individuals referenced above had no KG Judo rank, only Aikido and Jodo (yes, the stick thing).

C'mon. Admit those two promotions make you at least a little queezy.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 7/22/2011 12:32pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 12:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Try to get your facts straight and state them correctly.
    Sorry about that, I made a mistake.

Ben

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 12:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Matt, would it be helpful for you to focus your investigation on these names:
    http://www.karlgeis.com/resume.htm
    Several people on that list I recognize, and know for a fact they are legit judoka, a couple I know personally would in no way be involved in anything like is being investigated here.

Ben

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 12:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Several people on that list I recognize, and know for a fact they are legit judoka, a couple I know personally would in no way be involved in anything like is being investigated here.

Ben
    Is there anything on that list that surprises you, in terms of rank claimed in real life vs. rank listed on KG.com?

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 12:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Edit: removed after a reread of Ben's post.

The two individuals referenced above had no KG Judo rank, only Aikido and Jodo (yes, the stick thing).

C'mon. Admit those two promotions make you at least a little queezy.
    You think I'm surprised by any of this? I've seen guys get promoted in front of full promotion boards that made me more than queezy, it totally disgusted and pissed me off at the same time.

Then there are the guys who filled out all the paperwork, had time in grade, paid their fees, etc. And the STILL SUCK, and have no business being shodan let alone sandan or yondan and above. And who knows, they could still be pedos because unless they got caught and charged and/or convicted, a criminal history won't show anything.

In the big scheme of things, this is business as usual. You have a current JA BOD member here, who I know personally, and is an honorable man. He now is apprised of the situation. What is happening? We dont' know, because I know for a fact he won't report anything he does officially here, because it would be totally inappropriate.

Mark Tripp WAS here, and as usual stomped off in a huff when the world did not stop to take favorable notice. Honestly, I don't blame him for leaving JA, nor really for not starting an official complaint, despite the reaming I gave him. He knows the futility of it.

Mark Hunter, who has a lot more to lose than Tripp vis vis his huge investment in time, money, etc., in the JA, isn't likely to start anything official. I do see he suggested his club will be leaving JA, though, and I can't say I blame him for that.

Judo politics and money can be/is very dirty, Matt, just like anything else where power, prestige, ego, etc. is on the line. The BOD may well not have done anything to violate their bylaws at the time, which I see IIF has suggested, I suggested as well in either this thread or one or another of it's branches.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, and I'm not trying to put you down or discourage you, just giving my opinion for consideration.

My experience is that "powerful"people in Judo have attempted to use me to fulfull their own agendas over and over again back when I was attempting to be an honest broker in Judo politics, and actually get something done (along with a a few other folks).

Ben

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 1:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Is there anything on that list that surprises you, in terms of rank claimed in real life vs. rank listed on KG.com?
    I did not make the comparison. The names I recognized are long time judoka. One I know is a legit rokudan whom I know took his test and did his kata, fully deserves the honor. Another was doing judo before I started back in Texas, was a sandan when I was a white belt.

Ben

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 1:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did not make the comparison. The names I recognized are long time judoka. One I know is a legit rokudan whom I know took his test and did his kata, fully deserves the honor. Another was doing judo before I started back in Texas, was a sandan when I was a white belt.

Ben
    'kay. No worries.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You think I'm surprised by any of this? I've seen guys get promoted in front of full promotion boards that made me more than queezy, it totally disgusted and pissed me off at the same time.

Then there are the guys who filled out all the paperwork, had time in grade, paid their fees, etc. And the STILL SUCK, and have no business being shodan let alone sandan or yondan and above. And who knows, they could still be pedos because unless they got caught and charged and/or convicted, a criminal history won't show anything.

In the big scheme of things, this is business as usual. You have a current JA BOD member here, who I know personally, and is an honorable man. He now is apprised of the situation. What is happening? We dont' know, because I know for a fact he won't report anything he does officially here, because it would be totally inappropriate.

Mark Tripp WAS here, and as usual stomped off in a huff when the world did not stop to take favorable notice. Honestly, I don't blame him for leaving JA, nor really for not starting an official complaint, despite the reaming I gave him. He knows the futility of it.

Mark Hunter, who has a lot more to lose than Tripp vis vis his huge investment in time, money, etc., in the JA, isn't likely to start anything official. I do see he suggested his club will be leaving JA, though, and I can't say I blame him for that.

Judo politics and money can be/is very dirty, Matt, just like anything else where power, prestige, ego, etc. is on the line. The BOD may well not have done anything to violate their bylaws at the time, which I see IIF has suggested, I suggested as well in either this thread or one or another of it's branches.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, and I'm not trying to put you down or discourage you, just giving my opinion for consideration.

My experience is that "powerful"people in Judo have attempted to use me to fulfull their own agendas over and over again back when I was attempting to be an honest broker in Judo politics, and actually get something done (along with a a few other folks).

Ben
    Fair enough. I don't know exactly where this is going myself because I'm still digging, but I will say that the "Judo politics is dirty and has been 4 evar" narrative just makes me want to look at it harder, not less. Shaolin Do has the same problems, right?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!