Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So has anyone started the formal grievance/investigation process with the USJA? Apologies if it's stated on already.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 5:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warchief View Post
    I don't have any idea what the thoughts were at that time by the USJA Leadership. Could be they thought that background checks would be forthcoming at some point. Your supposition is as good as mine regarding their thought process.
    I've seen USJA promotions held up for months over $16 for a background check. According to Mr Lowry he was never asked by JA to file the form, so I doubt they thought his paperwork was forthcoming. Really it's about the USJA promotion protocol vs the BOD's state of mind. By saying 'I expect that they would take the anti-pedophile regulations seriously' I'm not really inviting you to comment on our shared lack of telepathy.

You might send an email to Jim Webb, the Group A Representative over at USA Judo. He was the USJA President in 2006 and ask him.
    I have emailed Mr Webb several times since this began, but have yet to hear back.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 6:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I for one can not do it (I don't belong to USJA). Even if I could, the current persident of the organization seems to have been the person that set the deal up... at least that is what the evidence suggests so far, so I'm not sure if that would be the best course of action. It is USA udo that requires USJA to follow the rules regarding background checking their yodanshakai, and I suspect they will have the ultimate responsibility to investigate an alleged lapse from USJA. If I can't raise the Group A director, I'll try the General Secretary.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 6:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warchief View Post
    I don't have any idea what the thoughts were at that time by the USJA Leadership. Could be they thought that background checks would be forthcoming at some point. Your supposition is as good as mine regarding their thought process. You might send an email to Jim Webb, the Group A Representative over at USA Judo. He was the USJA President in 2006 and ask him.
    I appreciate that you came here to discuss this with us, Warchief.

Now, I don't want this to come across as overly-dramatic or all 'won't somebody think of the children!!!' in an attempt to score points, but this is something I feel that has to be asked of you directly, as the only member of the USJA BOD currently posting here. I'm also aware of the possibility that you may not be permitted to answer this...

I have no idea as to the number of unscreened people who are now on the books, but let's say 60+ for the sake of argument.

If all the other issues raised on this thread are set aside for a moment - will the USJA at least be taking it upon itself to promptly arrange background checks all these 60+ members? If only to make sure that there aren't any paedophiles, misc. sex offenders or guys with a violent criminal history currently walking around rocking black belts or coral belts w/ USJA credentials, I mean.

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 6:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    I've seen USJA promotions held up for months over $16 for a background check. According to Mr Lowry he was never asked by JA to file the form, so I doubt they thought his paperwork was forthcoming. Really it's about the USJA promotion protocol vs the BOD's state of mind. By saying 'I expect that they would take the anti-pedophile regulations seriously' I'm not really inviting you to comment on our shared lack of telepathy.
    I know of people who have been skipped from 1st kyu to 3rd dan, because of contest record and of people who have been 'incorrectly declared' as junior grades in order to facilitate conversion to senior grades and thus speed up their promotion.

The latter is relatively routine, the former rare.

However, the issue remains if you're on the inside you can pay your way and piss out, if you're on the outside don't expect anyone to let you piss in...

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 6:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure J_UK, I get that, I just don't think the background screening is something you can just skip.

Quoting from the USA Judo official policy on Abuse and Screening

D.
    It is the policy of USA Judo that it will not authorize or sanction, in its programs that it
    directly controls or sanctions, any volunteer or employee who has routine access to children
    (anyone under the age of majority) who refuses to consent to be screened by USA Judo/US Judo,
    Inc. before he/she is allowed to have routine access to children in USA Judo/ US Judo, Inc.
    sanctioned programs. Further it is the policy of USA Judo that it would require its affiliates and group A, B and C members to adopt this policy as a condition of its affiliation with USA Judo.
    SCREENING POLICY
    Emphasis mine.

From here
    Edit: I did get a reply from Webb. Will report back on the conversation when there is more of it.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 7/19/2011 7:12pm at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 8:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I for one can not do it (I don't belong to USJA). Even if I could, the current persident of the organization seems to have been the person that set the deal up... at least that is what the evidence suggests so far, so I'm not sure if that would be the best course of action. It is USA udo that requires USJA to follow the rules regarding background checking their yodanshakai, and I suspect they will have the ultimate responsibility to investigate an alleged lapse from USJA. If I can't raise the Group A director, I'll try the General Secretary.
    Matt, you have used the term "yudanshakai" a couple of times when referring to USJA.

USJA is not yudanshakai and does not refer to itself that way. USA Judo does not to my knowledge use the term yudanshakai to describe it's group A members. Only USJF uses the term yudanshakai (in the US, at least).

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 8:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt, yudansha is japanese term used for black belt holders, not yudanshakai, which is a black belt organization. FYI

Ben

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 9:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was using it, perhapse incorrectly, to refer to the group of players holding dan rank within one of the orgs. For example, the group of persons belonging to USJA who are required to submit to background checks. I was hoping to find a term that referred to that sub-group succinctly, and 'yodanshakai' was the bestI could come up with. It seems I should just go back to explaining what I mean the long way (or just use 'yodansha'). Cheers for the correction though, I hate sounding like an ijit :)

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 9:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was using it, perhapse incorrectly, to refer to the group of players holding dan rank within one of the orgs. For example, the group of persons belonging to USJA who are required to submit to background checks. I was hoping to find a term that referred to that sub-group succinctly, and 'yodanshakai' was the bestI could come up with. It seems I should just go back to explaining what I mean the long way (or just use 'yodansha'). Cheers for the correction though, I hate sounding like an ijit :)
    Yeah, yudanshakai is specific to a organization made up of yudansha.

Didn't want you to sound like an ijit for sure.
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast