Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    7/17/2011 10:21am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Plyometrics

can someone tell me more about them? i'm not entirely retarded and have read up a little on the internet on it, but i feel like i still dont know enough.
    is it okay to do them after a bodyweight strength workout or should i do them before? is there a level of strength i need to possess before i start doing them? partial range of motion or full? information on the web is either vague or conflicting.
    help is greatly appreciated!

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 11:18am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only ever did them as part of structured Circuit Training class under an instructor. I did Circuits for many years and usually 4 times a week.

There are various types, Burpees, Starbursts, Starburst Burpees (effing hard and very demandling) squat jumps (sometimes with a Medicine Ball), and others.

If you have a local gym, you might like to have a go at a Circuits class which incorporates Plyos and see how it feels for you. Don't make a snap opinion as you may need a bit of time to adjust to an exercise regime you may not be familiar with or which may not suit you but take the chance to ask the Instructor for his or her advice and remember to mention your reason for enquiring and your MA training.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 5:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am by no means an expert but I think plyometrics are great for everyone regardless of fitness level. I've taken small group "boot camp" type classes and our trainer had our fat a$$es doing burpees on the first day, so I don't think you need to possess a certain level of strength to do them, but they are hard. I feel it's beneficial to attempt them even if you can't do them all the way (which is how I was with plyometric push ups). Plyometrics was mixed into our training and it was really challenging when the trainer would throw them in between circuits, such as doing 10 burpees or squat jumps between stations. I'm much stronger now than I was a few months ago. So, although I can't speak for them as far as your MA training, I still say it wouldn't hurt to try them if you don't over do it.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 8:19pm

Style: Freestyle Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when it comes to plyo

- it develops explosive and speed strength
    - quality over quantity. too much to soon will stress the cns
    - should possess and adequate foundation of strength and flexibility. to avoid injuries and the inability to train

ask yourself what are your goals. and how will plyo benefit you? i have seen people used plyos with max strength workouts, dedicated plyo session for sport (basketball) and with work capacity/gpp type work.

so to answer your question if they are ok before or after a strength session. yes and no depending on your goals.

Lightweight

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 8:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, MT, KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plyo is explosive and pretty high impact. When I incorporate these workouts I tend to need more recovery time.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 9:32am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Certified Fitness Trainer

Achievements:
    VeteranYour first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesTagger First Class

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 5:53pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Girl View Post
    I am by no means an expert but I think plyometrics are great for everyone regardless of fitness level. I've taken small group "boot camp" type classes and our trainer had our fat a$$es doing burpees on the first day, so I don't think you need to possess a certain level of strength to do them, but they are hard. I feel it's beneficial to attempt them even if you can't do them all the way (which is how I was with plyometric push ups). Plyometrics was mixed into our training and it was really challenging when the trainer would throw them in between circuits, such as doing 10 burpees or squat jumps between stations. I'm much stronger now than I was a few months ago. So, although I can't speak for them as far as your MA training, I still say it wouldn't hurt to try them if you don't over do it.
    You're confusing the word plyometric with the word calisthenic, which is what you really mean. Burpees are not a plyometric exercise, and squat jumps only qualify under certain conditions.

And no, they're absolutely not acceptable for any fitness level.

Quote Originally Posted by BearHammer View Post
    Plyo is explosive and pretty high impact. When I incorporate these workouts I tend to need more recovery time.
    Quote Originally Posted by serey View Post
    when it comes to plyo

- it develops explosive and speed strength
    - quality over quantity. too much to soon will stress the cns
    - should possess and adequate foundation of strength and flexibility. to avoid injuries and the inability to train

ask yourself what are your goals. and how will plyo benefit you? i have seen people used plyos with max strength workouts, dedicated plyo session for sport (basketball) and with work capacity/gpp type work.

so to answer your question if they are ok before or after a strength session. yes and no depending on your goals.
    Both of these posts are correct.

As is this one. Always use the Search Function.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel