Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Questions about Self defense focus

I know allot of BJJ instructors that I have had seem to blatantly gloss over the self defense aspect of the class. I originally started taking BJJ because I am a soldier in the National Guard. The military uses BJJ heavily in their level 1 combatives so I thought it would be a good idea to stay on top of it. However when I saw that the instructor at a school I was going to really had no heart to teach that aspect of it I ended up not taking his classes anymore.
    Another BJJ instructor at a different school I visited blatantly stated BJJ is a great sport but its not for self defense. Bear in mind one was a purple belt and the other a blue belt but I was shocked by this.
    I have been thinking about visiting a Gracie school and seeing how they do things.

Style
    Kakutogi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Resurrection-jutsu

flyspy,

What exactly are you looking for? Even if you do BJJ purely for sport it will greatly help your self defense skills.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Style
    xingyi

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to suggest http://www.bullshido.net/forums/vbtu...ube&tubeid=822 either that or just be Bas Rutten, that way whatever martial art you use you will still be 100% tougher than 99.9% of the street-fighting morons.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can check out a Pedro Sauer GJJ school. The Pedro Sauer branch I train at has a heavy focus on self defense. Next week we are having a weapons defense seminar with Allen Hopkins, given my FMA background i'm interested to see what is offered. My instructor will still show x-guard,rubber guard or other competition based tactics if asked but he also advises that certain positions leave you open to strikes.

Style
    Limalama, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen and trained at several BJJ schools and I've seen very little self defense focus in any of the classes I've attended. I enjoy BJJ very much and it gives you a lot of good tools but it isn't my first choice when it comes to self defense. Have you considered trying Judo? You still get grappling and a much larger emphasis on stand up fighting and throws. There also tends to be more concern paid to self defense.

Style
    10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long story short, it varies greatly from school to school and from affiliation network to affiliation network. I've known some BJJ schools to work heavily on self defense, and some that don't touch on it at all but are instead purely competition/sport centered. Of course, even those schools will teach you a decent amount of skills that are applicable to self defense situations, but it isn't tailored for it.

Best of luck in finding a school that teaches what you're looking for.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 6'3" and about 235-240. I have been a LE professional since 1986 and involved in martial arts since the late 70s. My first BJJ class I was getting WTF Pwned by people half my size who had been doing BJJ for 10 months. Getting hung up on whether it is "sport" or "self defense" is stupid. It provides a crucial skill set for one of the most common ranges of combat.

Style
    Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest it isn't.

BJJ is slow- much faster to throw/sweep someone to the ground or punch/kick them then taking them down, putting up all those positions then trying to find a suitable submission/choke to finish them off. All of these times you are open to all kinds of assaults from said person's friends.

That and its useless in small and rugged spaces- lets face it. Unfortunate incidents may happen anytime, including in places such as stairwells and the washrooms.

Style
    MMA and Luta Livre noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't talk out of your ass about a martial art you don't practice, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last