31 days registered

Posted On:
    7/17/2011 4:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kashima Shinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anybody remember Noble House Kenjutsu?

If you've been around e-budo's Bad Budo forums in the past few years or so, you might have heard about these guys. If not, I suggest you look them up over there. All sorts of weird flag worship, leaky lineage claims involving the Shinkage-ryu, etc. Meik Skoss et al. thoroughly picked them to pieces, so that's not really an issue.

But I always wondered just how bad it really was. There were all these silly pictures on the old site, but... no videos.

But then I found this. A video!

I recognized the enormous flag they carry around immediately -- it's them, alright. Best quote: "The single most important thing [in kenjutsu practice] is cooperation." THOUGHTS?

Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    7/17/2011 12:33pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fluffers View Post
    Best quote: "The single most important thing [in kenjutsu practice] is cooperation."
    What's wrong with that quote?

I know there's lots of issues with Noble House and their lineage, and Meik took them to task for that years ago. The video looks pretty innocuous though. Without more context I couldn't tell you whether that was a bunch of people doing what they were supposed to do, a bunch of beginners/intermediates trying to do what they were supposed to do, or a bunch of poorly taught people. There's stuff that looks funky to my kendo eye but then I've learned to try not to judge koryu too closely by what I know.

Featherweight

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    7/17/2011 6:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    What's wrong with that quote?

I know there's lots of issues with Noble House and their lineage, and Meik took them to task for that years ago. The video looks pretty innocuous though. Without more context I couldn't tell you whether that was a bunch of people doing what they were supposed to do, a bunch of beginners/intermediates trying to do what they were supposed to do, or a bunch of poorly taught people. There's stuff that looks funky to my kendo eye but then I've learned to try not to judge koryu too closely by what I know.
    I agree regarding judging koryu by the outside... you can't really do it, and often kata will be changed slightly for public demonstrations anyway. But was it decided that this really is koryu? From what I remember, the general consensus was that this probably wasn't... The weird "kyujutsu" they were doing springs immediately to mind. But hey, what do I know? It's "Shinkage-ryu" so I'd say that if somebody would know, it's Mr. Skoss.

Their website has changed a good bit it seems, as well. Random kanji strewn about... Completely avoiding rendering any Japanese terminology in English characters, though the kanji still clearly reads "Shinkage-ryu" (「心影流」 in this case). As for the quote, I don't think kata = compliance.

Anyway, I just brought it up because I ran into that video and started thinking "hm, I wonder what happened to them." Seems like nothing much has changed, except now they're even more secretive than they were. I'm not expecting a lengthy discourse on the matter, just thought I'd pass on this video in case anybody wanted to take a look.
    Last edited by Mr. Fluffers; 7/17/2011 7:02pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points31 days registeredRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 6:43pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never understood how showing beginers doing things poorly is supposed to be good for a school in any way, and I assume that's what videos like this one are.

Anyway, never heard of these guys or how Meik handled them, but I'm currious now... Care to fill me in?

Featherweight

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 10:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...ht=Noble+House if you're curious. I kinda wish they still had the old gallery up, it was some goofy looking stuff they were doing. Steve referenced an earlier post by Mr. Skoss, but it doesn't seem to be showing up for some reason... I can't figure out why.
    Last edited by Mr. Fluffers; 7/29/2011 10:36pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 10:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bet, there was some goofy looking stuff on the vid you put up. It looked like they were doing their cutting with a stick...

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 11:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but that link was no help at all. None of the links in the convo still work, and all that was said in it is what you said here.