Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 8:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

IWB holster with active retention

I'm looking for an IWB holster with some sort of active retention, I'd like to get a holster with some rigidity so I'm not fumbling to re-holster. It'd be nice to have a kydex type crossbreed holster where you have to rock the gun forward to un-holster. The best Holster I've found is this:
    http://shop.ragsdaleholsters.com/Com...Break-0002.htm

I bought this holster but the holster covers too much of the trigger to get a good grip on the gun for your draw and it's leather so it collapses when you draw the gun. So any ideas?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 11:41pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say forget about the active retention, build your own, or modify one. I've made all of my holsters so far and its great, because you can just make whatever your heart desires and not be limited when choosing a handgun.

Here the reasons why I think you should not get active retention handguns.
    1. Your weapon will be hidden, probably under a shirt if you carry IWB. "deep concealment" should I say. The chances of someone spotting and planing to take your weapon are very low.
    2. Its really easy to forget crucial steps like disengaging the retention device when you are drawing. KISS applies.
    3. It'll be harder to disengage a flap button or something if it is IWB, due to lack of space while IWB carrying.
    4. A good kydex holster will provide plenty of retention so you would not need active retention.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 12:30am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6 View Post
    http://shop.ragsdaleholsters.com/Com...Break-0002.htm

I bought this holster but the holster covers too much of the trigger to get a good grip on the gun for your draw and it's leather so it collapses when you draw the gun. So any ideas?
    This sounds like you're attempting to draw with poor technique. Having looked at the holster, I'd say the design would exacerbate any difficulties you have with such a small grip.

Would you mind posting a picture of the technique you use to draw?

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 9:09pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6 View Post
    the holster covers too much of the trigger to get a good grip on the gun for your draw
    What do you mean by this? Did you mean to say it's blocking the grip of the pistol? The trigger should be kept covered to keep things out of the trigger guard that could cause a snag and negligent discharge. If you're drawing the pistol and your finger is going into the trigger guard as you draw then you're doing it wrong.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/17/2011 10:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean, the holster cover too much of the area where the trigger guard meets the front grip. Not allowing me to get a full grip on the gun before drawing it.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with dwkfym about not wanting extra retention on an IWB - it's already going to be covered up, so it seems like that would unnecessarily complicate drawing the weapon. But if that's what you want, make sure you drill the hell out of it in order to minimize the extra time it takes to disengage the retention mechanism.

Are you saying you can't get your fingers all the way around the grip before drawing due to the holster blocking the front of the grip?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 12:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to a shoe repair store to get it modified. I'll let people know hoe it goes.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 1:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll agree that active retention for IWB seems a little weird. Personally, I'm becoming more and more tempted to move away from active retention holsters all together.

I've carried my Glock in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster a lot. I like it. It's a nice holster. I train a lot with it. I can draw the pistol fast and smooth. The part that sticks in my head though, is that every once in a while, I'll snatch it and miss the release button or I won't get quite enough pressure on it and the pistol stays put. ****!!!!

I worry about that occurring when I need the pistol in a hurry under stress.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 3:07pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I worry about that occurring when I need the pistol in a hurry under stress.
    I'd worry more about pressing to hard. But I've never actually regularly used a SERPA holster so please take this with a grain of salt. People shoot themselves with it with more frequency than you'd think. Finger is too close to the trigger when you actuate the switch. Especially since your fine motor skills are most likely to be to be compromised if you ever have to draw it. When I practice my draws, my finger is actually entirely off (arched back because my fingers bend that way a bit) until gun is pointed at target. With the serpa, I may have it in the general vincity of the trigger with my finger hopefully on the frame but perhaps unfortunately going into the trigger guard.

Anyways, yes, I think the desire for active retention is mainly just to feel better about it, even though it doesn't fix anything because the problem was there to begin with. I can run full speed with my IWB holsters. Even my OWB holsters I can run as fast as I can (I make my OWB's pretty tight).

I think the only time you actually need active retention is if its your duty weapon and its out and exposed, for people to grab.. like if you're a cop and its on your duty rig.
    Last edited by dwkfym; 7/18/2011 3:13pm at .
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Flyweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the range I use a Serpa with my sidearm. The idea is that it is the backup to my primary weapon system (AR15) so I want it well secured while I may be running, jumping, hitting the deck, etc.

When the pistol is my primary/only weapon, this isn't as important to me as I would have it in my hands in a bad situation.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast