My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, is that Mr Porter was forced out when USJI threatened to revoke USJA's class A status if he were not removed. Now I am not saying that JA did not give some formal, internal reason for the dismissal, but I am saying that the actual reason for the action was the pressure from the NGB,

Secondly, Mr. Pedro and Ms DeMarrs resignations from office had absolutely nothing to do USJA rank policy or procedures. This is a totally false state based on an erroneous supposition. James Webb was President of the USJA at the time Mr. Lowery's certificate was issued. Mr. Webb is now a Board member for USA Judo. Virgil Bowles was Chair of the USJA Promotion committee and is now deceased. The promotion is dated 12/7/06 occuring after Ms Demarrs and Mr. Pedro elections to office. They both resigned their USJA positions in April 2010.
    This is a strawman. No one on this thread has said that Mr Lowry's case was uniquely responsible for Pedro and DeMars' exit. I spoke with Coach Pedro a few days after he resigned and he told me he left because (paraphrase) "Some people there have an atttude towards promotions and money I can not support."
    Mark comes on here and suggest that very thing, in his own tranparently manipulative way, and you can semantically deny that no one specifically stated it.

Brilliant, Matt, just brilliant.

Unlike Mark, I still do not think you believe yourself to be smarter than everyone else here or elsewhere for that matter.

We have a bonafied member of the USJA BOD on Bullshido now, and you go off on 'strawman' arguments.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:05am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    BTW, Matt, you realize that someone could have paid the fee for the "silver life membeship" and never told Lowry about it.

I'll give you an example.

Back in the late 80s I went to a clinic given by Phil Porter in Pensacola, Florida or some small town nearby the name of which escapes me. There was a shiai the next day.

I was at the time a member of USA Judo (USJI back then). I paid my fee for the clinic, attended, got schmoozed by Porter (that's another story), and attended the shiai.

Lo and behold, I started getting tons of junk mail from USJA, stating how I could support Judo in the US by upping my basic USJA membership to "bronze patron whatever" etc etc.

What, I was a member of USJA? How the **** did that happen?

Simple. Porter took my $20 entry fee, and FUCKING BOUGHT ME A USJA MEMBERSHIP, WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

Ben
    Wow, I know he is a pariah but the guy was freaking smart.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since Geis' dojo was a JA club (TX0002) I'm assuming Nick had to register wth USJA just to get on the mat (the same way I had to with JF), so 1989 may mark the beginning of his association with Geis' school. I appreciate your comments about other people putting you in for enhanced membership, but the Silver Life is the only membership he has ever had with them; it is the original membership he would have had to file to get insurace, etc. and get on the mat. You have to sign that form yourself don't you?

As I said before, this may very well end up in front of the USJA. In the mean time it's business as usual to have a dscussion about the case in this forum.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to say this one last time.

If you believe there was wrong doing with Lowry's promotion and what some concrete action to result from that allegation:

You have to go to the USJA ethics committee and BOD

You're not dealing with a tin pot strip mall Krotty instructor here. You're dealing with a major Judo NGB that counts legitimate world champions, olympians and other major luminaries of US Judo amongst its senior and ordinary membership.

These kind of orgs do not respond to loads of people who don't even do Judo running around pointing fingers on the internet.

If you want stuff done in a legit Judo org you do either one of two things:

1. Go through back channels using your extensive personal connections and influence gained from a lifetime in Judo and of rubbing flesh with those who matter.

2. Go through the appropriate bureaucracy and endure all the tedium and frustration that accompanies it.

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Mark comes on here and suggest that very thing, in his own tranparently manipulative way, and you can semantically deny that no one specifically stated it.

Brilliant, Matt, just brilliant.
    I believe Mark suggested that the persistence of rank inflation was the cause, not Lowry's specific case.

Unlike Mark, I still do not think you believe yourself to be smarter than everyone else here or elsewhere for that matter.
    My experience with Mark is that he doesn't say a word until he's got all his ducks in a row. If you have a proble with his personality, that' really irrelevant.

We have a bonafied member of the USJA BOD on Bullshido now, and you go off on 'strawman' arguments.

Ben
    I'm still reading back. Who exactly is that? Neil?

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I'm going to say this one last time.

If you believe there was wrong doing with Lowry's promotion and what some concrete action to result from that allegation:

You have to go to the USJA ethics committee and BOD

You're not dealing with a tin pot strip mall Krotty instructor here. You're dealing with a major Judo NGB that counts legitimate world champions, olympians and other major luminaries of US Judo amongst its senior and ordinary membership.

These kind of orgs do not respond to loads of people who don't even do Judo running around pointing fingers on the internet.

If you want stuff done in a legit Judo org you do either one of two things:

2. Go through the appropriate bureaucracy and endure all the tedium and frustration that accompanies it.
    USJA is not the NGB. This is an argument (and a good one) for going to USA Judo with this.

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    USJA is not the NGB. This is an argument (and a good one) for going to USA Judo with this.
    It is a NGB.

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a NGB.
    I understand why you might get that impression from across the ocean, and I understand why you might hesitate to take my word for it, so I leave it to the very qualified group of American Judoka on this thread to confirm that USA Judo (USJI) is the sole NGB for the United States.

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand why you might get that impression from across the ocean, and I understand why you might hesitate to take my word for it, so I leave it to the very qualified group of American Judoka on this thread to confirm that USA Judo (USJI) is the sole NGB for the United States.
    USJA and USJF were founder members of USJI a.k.a USA Judo and are Group A members. As such they are NGBs for Judo in the United States alongside USAJI a.k.a USA Judo

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 11:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    USJA and USJF were founder members of USJI a.k.a USA Judo and are Group A members. As such they are NGBs for Judo in the United States alongside USAJI a.k.a USA Judo
    The group A's are not NGBs, they are "grassroots organizations". Only USA Judo belongs to the continental union and the IJF.

In 2009 USJA tried unsucessfully to replace USA Judo as the NGB (see http://assets.usoc.org/assets/docume..._Nov._2009.pdf

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast