Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 8:32am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, no. This is about Nick Lowry. We don't need a side story about why two members resigned or quit. Nor do we need a discussion on warchief's bonafides. Both of you stop.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 8:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo & Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    So you are saying that when Dr. Demars wrote that she was resiging because, "...it became clear to me that the infighting, petty jealousies and personal agendas had degenerated to such a point that it would be impossible for me to work with the United States Judo Association Board." that it had nothing to do with this issue, and you dont think that you're position as currently being on the BOD of the organization taints your point of view?
    Ms De Mars resignation is for the reasons she listed in her public statement. The reasons listed had nothing to do with Mr. Lowry or rank inflation. I don't see his name or rank inflation listed as a reason for resigning in her statement.. I spoke with Ms De Mars before she released her statement. I'm fully aware of her specific reasons for resigning. Ms De Mars can elaborate further if she chooses to do so. At this point however, 15 months after the fact, I think she has moved on with her life and is happily pursuing other challenges and opportunities. I was a participant on the BOD conference phone call when Mr. Pedro resigned. I know the reason he gave when he resigned. I'm confident He also has moved on and left his period of USJA board service behind. Having first person involvement and knowledge of events leading to the current administration of the USJA does not taint my view. It does however make me better informed than Mr. Tripp regarding the facts and events surrounding Ann Maria and Jim's resignations.

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 8:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And lo and behold Tripp has succeed in dragging Bullshido into a USJA **** fight.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 8:50am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You two aren't going to listen are you? Warchief, you know damn well soldier isn't speaking about the specifics of Lowry. He is talking about the ethics and integrity involved in a situation like this and buying, skipping testing and other problems.

Your posts will be culled and you can bicxker and play semantic games somewhere else.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    Hold on a second. I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I would like to remind everyone that other folks have presented similar, authentic Judo rank certs from USJA that turned out to be held improperly. Matt Morton's USJA rank was registered in the appropriate database, and his USJA documents were not forged in any way. Still the rank was not earned as the discussion on the forum brought to light.

I'm sorry, but I can not see, based on the description of events given by Mr Lowry, how this can be valid USJA rank. For starters Mr Geis can not have put Lowry in for the Hachidan promotion by himself; Nick would have had to sign the papers himself, swearing "I certify that the answers and scores recorded on the rank exam were properly earned and that the indicated promotion points and time in grade are correct and true." For the rank to be valid, Nick would have had to put pen to paper and certify that the he answered truthfully all the questions on the exam he says he never took; for the rank to be vailid, he would have had so sign a statement certifying that his time in grade requirement of 47 years from the award of Shodan was "correct and true" when ony 11 years had elapsed, and critically, for this rank to be vaid Nick would have had to give his consent in writing to submit to (and pay for) USJA's manditory background screening. If this was not done, not only is there no way his Hachidan can be valid, but USJA would be allowing an unscreened individual permission to coach minors.

Now one thing is clear on this thread so far: that Nick Lowry is a personable and reasonable guy, and not a MABS spaz of the sort we often see here, but Mr Lowry's personality in no way clears up any of the problems mentioned above. His rank cannot be valid, and his account of how he received it can not be correct. It is easy enough to imagine Sensei Geis putting Nick's name in the hat unilaterally... unless one is familiar with the actual forms that have to be filed. If his rank is invalid for the reasons I have given here, then folks are correct in pointing out that it is a matter for USJA to look at; this was the case with Morton's on the books rank as well. We did not tell Matt "Thank you for your time." and close the book simply because wealso had USJA to talk to. Karl Geis did not forge Nick Lowry's signature on a background check authorization form, and submit false fingerprints in Lowry's name. I'm sorry, but that never happened. Nick either signed section 5 of his promotion papers, certifying that his exam was in order, or he did not. If he signed them then he lied about taking the exam, and there is no rank; if he did not, then there never was any rank at all, and the record of it in the database, and the certificate he presented here are an illusion. That's it, there are no other possibilities: either he signed off on taking an exam he never took, and is holding his rank illegitimately, or he never was a USJA Hachidan at all.
    So, Matt, now you are an expert on USJA promotion procedures?

I tell you what, why don't you do what Mark should have done, if he had been serious, and contact the USJA with your concerns about Lowry's hachidan promotion? With all the pull and influence that Mark has at USJA, I'm sure he can get this attended to right away.

Something fishy looking DID happen, considering the evidence at hand, which is basically only word of mouth at this point. Have you personally examined USJA records pertaining to Lowry? Or just been "told" what "someone" else did?

Oh, and if you are not already, I suggest you join the USJA before trying to get any of this done.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:18am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    But surely you can receive an honorary law degree? After all, Oxford University has been known to give honorary doctorates of civil law to recipients who have not passed any tests.

I'm not saying this was the case, but for clarification, is this not possible with USJA?
    If Nick had said he was an honorory Hachidan with USJA I wouldn't have said a word; If someone get Honorary JD from Yale and then drops "Honorary" when they mention it, you can bet they are doing something wrong.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warchief View Post
    There are a couple of factual errors in Mr. Tripp's statement. First, Phil Porter was not forced out of the USJA due to selling inflated rank. Mr. Porter was removed from office for failing to meet his fiduciary obligations as President of the USJA BOD.
    My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, is that Mr Porter was forced out when USJI threatened to revoke USJA's class A status if he were not removed. Now I am not saying that JA did not give some formal, internal reason for the dismissal, but I am saying that the actual reason for the action was the pressure from the NGB,

Secondly, Mr. Pedro and Ms DeMarrs resignations from office had absolutely nothing to do USJA rank policy or procedures. This is a totally false state based on an erroneous supposition. James Webb was President of the USJA at the time Mr. Lowery's certificate was issued. Mr. Webb is now a Board member for USA Judo. Virgil Bowles was Chair of the USJA Promotion committee and is now deceased. The promotion is dated 12/7/06 occuring after Ms Demarrs and Mr. Pedro elections to office. They both resigned their USJA positions in April 2010.[/QUOTE]
    This is a strawman. No one on this thread has said that Mr Lowry's case was uniquely responsible for Pedro and DeMars' exit. I spoke with Coach Pedro a few days after he resigned and he told me he left because (paraphrase) "Some people there have an atttude towards promotions and money I can not support."

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, Matt, now you are an expert on USJA promotion procedures?
    I would say that the true experts on this process are the people who wrote the rules, but I have had to learn the details of this process over the course of several investigations where it was relevant. I know more about it that I care to.

I tell you what, why don't you do what Mark should have done, if he had been serious, and contact the USJA with your concerns about Lowry's hachidan promotion? With all the pull and influence that Mark has at USJA, I'm sure he can get this attended to right away.
    Maybe that's where it ends up, but the correct first step is a discussion in this forum.

Something fishy looking DID happen, considering the evidence at hand, which is basically only word of mouth at this point. Have you personally examined USJA records pertaining to Lowry? Or just been "told" what "someone" else did?
    I have contacted USJA and got the contents of his database entr, same as I would for anyone else. In the interests of disclosure, this is everything I learned that way:

- Silver life member since 10/24/89
    - Promoted to Shodan 7/10/1992
    - Promoted to Hachidan 12/7/2006

He never held any kyu rank, and he hs no promotion points earned for any activity of any kind. This is the pattern one sees when one is looking at a "Porter baby".

There is also the bizarre feature that Mr Lowry's silver life membership begins 3 years before he held his first rank in USJA. Why an individual not participating in any JA activity atall would feel the need to support them financially in that manner fr several years is beyond me.

What is clear though is that Mr Lowry likely bought rank from Phil Porter in the same manner than we have seen many times before, 14 years before Geis is said to have "gifted" him his Hachidan. To the extent that you can prove anyone to be a Porter baby with JA records, he looks like a Porter baby.

Oh, and if you are not already, I suggest you join the USJA before trying to get any of this done.

Ben
    I belong to JF.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 7/15/2011 9:48am at .

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:52am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    I would say that the true experts on this process are the people who wrote the rules, but I have had to learn the details of this process over the course of several investigations where it was relevant. I know more about it that I care to.

Maybe that's where it ends up, but the correct first step is a discussion in this forum.

I have contacted USJA and got the contents of his database entr, same as I would for anyone else. In the interests of disclosure, this is everything I learned that way:

- Silver life member since 10/24/89
    - Promoted to Shodan 7/10/1992
    - Promoted to Hachidan 12/7/2006

He never held any kyu rank, and he hs no promotion points earned for any activity of any kind. This is the pattern one sees when one is looking at a "Porter baby".

There is also the bizarre feature that Mr Lowry's silver life membership begins 3 years before he held his first rank in USJA. Why an individual not participating in any JA activity atall would feel the need to support them financially in that manner fr several years is beyond me.

What is clear though is that Mr Lowry likely bought rank from Phil Porter in the same manner than we have seen many times before, 14 years before Geis is said to have "gifted" him his Hachidan.

I belong to JF.
    Call USJA or write your concerns to USJA. That is the proper thing to do.

Oh, wait, you aren't a member of USJA. They might or might not listen to you.

But with Marks solid standing with USJA, I'm sure you guys could get an ethics or whatever sort of investigation exists under the JA byelaws started over there right away.

The current President of USJA has his signature on Lowry's rank certificate. I'm sure he would be very concerned to know about any possible fraud associated with the promotion.

Ben

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, Matt, you realize that someone could have paid the fee for the "silver life membeship" and never told Lowry about it.

I'll give you an example.

Back in the late 80s I went to a clinic given by Phil Porter in Pensacola, Florida or some small town nearby the name of which escapes me. There was a shiai the next day.

I was at the time a member of USA Judo (USJI back then). I paid my fee for the clinic, attended, got schmoozed by Porter (that's another story), and attended the shiai.

Lo and behold, I started getting tons of junk mail from USJA, stating how I could support Judo in the US by upping my basic USJA membership to "bronze patron whatever" etc etc.

What, I was a member of USJA? How the **** did that happen?

Simple. Porter took my $20 entry fee, and FUCKING BOUGHT ME A USJA MEMBERSHIP, WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

Ben
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast