218300 Bullies, 9362 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 25
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. ignatzami is online now
    ignatzami's Avatar

    l Travel To Get Choked!

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,838

    Points
    2,960
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 2:56pm


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Moving to Seattle

    I've recently accepted a job offer at Microsoft, and as such will be moving to Seattle. I'm looking at Gracie Barra Seattle. I'd like to stay in the Redmond area, to maximize my training time, while minimizing my commute.

    However, the great folks at Bullshido gave high marks to Sea-Town SAMBO as well. While it's a bit farther afield I'm willing to travel for better training. I've also heard there are some wonderful Judo clubs in Seattle.

    My current background is in Judo, but I'm looking to move more towards BJJ. I have no experience with SAMBO, thought I'm not adverse to learning.

    I'm looking for grappling over stand up, as I found Judo to be difficult at 6'3" 285lbs. However, I'm also looking for a solid workout, and I found that to be the case with Judo.

    I guess I'm asking for advice, given a Judo background, and the fact I'm a big guy, would I get a good workout with Gracie Barra, are there any issues with the school, or the politics? Would Sea-Town SAMBO be worth the commute? Is there another viable option?

    Thank you for the feedback.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.
  2. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,365

    Points
    16,727
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 3:58pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could go see Bruce Lee's grave if you're into that kind of stuff.
  3. lionknight is online now
    lionknight's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    1,170

    Points
    2,030
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 4:57pm


     Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    I've recently accepted a job offer at Microsoft, and as such will be moving to Seattle. I'm looking at Gracie Barra Seattle. I'd like to stay in the Redmond area, to maximize my training time, while minimizing my commute.

    However, the great folks at Bullshido gave high marks to Sea-Town SAMBO as well. While it's a bit farther afield I'm willing to travel for better training. I've also heard there are some wonderful Judo clubs in Seattle.

    My current background is in Judo, but I'm looking to move more towards BJJ. I have no experience with SAMBO, thought I'm not adverse to learning.

    I'm looking for grappling over stand up, as I found Judo to be difficult at 6'3" 285lbs. However, I'm also looking for a solid workout, and I found that to be the case with Judo.

    I guess I'm asking for advice, given a Judo background, and the fact I'm a big guy, would I get a good workout with Gracie Barra, are there any issues with the school, or the politics? Would Sea-Town SAMBO be worth the commute? Is there another viable option?

    Thank you for the feedback.

    I travel anywhere from a half hour to 45 min (hell an hour if their is really bad traffic) to train at Sea-Town, in my opinion it is worth it. I have closer options that would allow me to include grappling / throwing into my game (or school for that matter) but I find the knowledge level at Sea-Town SAMBO hard to beat. You can find my review here on Bullshido, just do a search for it.
  4. ignatzami is online now
    ignatzami's Avatar

    l Travel To Get Choked!

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,838

    Points
    2,960
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:06am


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    I travel anywhere from a half hour to 45 min (hell an hour if their is really bad traffic) to train at Sea-Town, in my opinion it is worth it. I have closer options that would allow me to include grappling / throwing into my game (or school for that matter) but I find the knowledge level at Sea-Town SAMBO hard to beat. You can find my review here on Bullshido, just do a search for it.
    Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking. I'm most likely going to be in the area of Redmond Town Center, any idea what the commute would be like?
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.
  5. ignatzami is online now
    ignatzami's Avatar

    l Travel To Get Choked!

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,838

    Points
    2,960
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:12am


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also can't find the fee schedule for Sea-Town, is it somewhere on their website and I'm just blind?
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.
  6. RWaggs is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kenmore, WA
    Posts
    906

    Points
    1,787
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 11:40am


     Style: KK

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    I've recently accepted a job offer at Microsoft, and as such will be moving to Seattle. I'm looking at Gracie Barra Seattle. I'd like to stay in the Redmond area, to maximize my training time, while minimizing my commute.

    However, the great folks at Bullshido gave high marks to Sea-Town SAMBO as well. While it's a bit farther afield I'm willing to travel for better training. I've also heard there are some wonderful Judo clubs in Seattle.

    My current background is in Judo, but I'm looking to move more towards BJJ. I have no experience with SAMBO, thought I'm not adverse to learning.

    I'm looking for grappling over stand up, as I found Judo to be difficult at 6'3" 285lbs. However, I'm also looking for a solid workout, and I found that to be the case with Judo.

    I guess I'm asking for advice, given a Judo background, and the fact I'm a big guy, would I get a good workout with Gracie Barra, are there any issues with the school, or the politics? Would Sea-Town SAMBO be worth the commute? Is there another viable option?

    Thank you for the feedback.
    SeaTown Sambo is awesome, and worth the drive if you have the time. I do KK primarily at this point, in Kirkland but I've also started going to Coga MMA in Woodinville (VERY convienent from Redmond) because they offer BJJ (under instruction of a brown belt at this time, and he's very cool), boxing, kickboxing and some additional fitness classes, all for a pretty good price. PM me if you want to know more details.
  7. lionknight is online now
    lionknight's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    1,170

    Points
    2,030
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 12:41pm


     Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking. I'm most likely going to be in the area of Redmond Town Center, any idea what the commute would be like?
    I come more from the South side of Seattle (Kent or Issaquah) so sorry I can't really help you their.

    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    I also can't find the fee schedule for Sea-Town, is it somewhere on their website and I'm just blind?
    It's listed here:
    http://www.seattle-jujutsu.org/contact.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Town Web Site
    Practices are held at 7pm on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
    They practice more often than that however, those are just the posted times.
    Last edited by lionknight; 7/15/2011 12:53pm at .
  8. TheMightyMcClaw is offline
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar

    MADE OF STEEL!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,379

    Points
    8,581
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 1:15pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'm not the only one!
    I'm also planning on moving to Seattle in the Fall, and was looking at Sea-Town for a place to train.
    We should like, all hang out or something.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
  9. ignatzami is online now
    ignatzami's Avatar

    l Travel To Get Choked!

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,838

    Points
    2,960
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 1:19pm


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I've contacted Gracie Bellvue, and Seat-Town SAMBO, I think I'll spend a month, shop around, and then decide but you've given me some great food for thought.

    Thanks guys.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.
  10. RWaggs is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kenmore, WA
    Posts
    906

    Points
    1,787
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 2:37pm


     Style: KK

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I guess I'm not the only one!
    I'm also planning on moving to Seattle in the Fall, and was looking at Sea-Town for a place to train.
    We should like, all hang out or something.
    Seriously, guys, PM me when you get to the area if you want to just meet some people in your new town. I've got a fun circle of friends who like to BBQ, go out, watch football, see shows and stuff. We're not cliquey assholes.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.