Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 2:56pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Moving to Seattle

I've recently accepted a job offer at Microsoft, and as such will be moving to Seattle. I'm looking at Gracie Barra Seattle. I'd like to stay in the Redmond area, to maximize my training time, while minimizing my commute.

However, the great folks at Bullshido gave high marks to Sea-Town SAMBO as well. While it's a bit farther afield I'm willing to travel for better training. I've also heard there are some wonderful Judo clubs in Seattle.

My current background is in Judo, but I'm looking to move more towards BJJ. I have no experience with SAMBO, thought I'm not adverse to learning.

I'm looking for grappling over stand up, as I found Judo to be difficult at 6'3" 285lbs. However, I'm also looking for a solid workout, and I found that to be the case with Judo.

I guess I'm asking for advice, given a Judo background, and the fact I'm a big guy, would I get a good workout with Gracie Barra, are there any issues with the school, or the politics? Would Sea-Town SAMBO be worth the commute? Is there another viable option?

Thank you for the feedback.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could go see Bruce Lee's grave if you're into that kind of stuff.

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 4:57pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    I've recently accepted a job offer at Microsoft, and as such will be moving to Seattle. I'm looking at Gracie Barra Seattle. I'd like to stay in the Redmond area, to maximize my training time, while minimizing my commute.

However, the great folks at Bullshido gave high marks to Sea-Town SAMBO as well. While it's a bit farther afield I'm willing to travel for better training. I've also heard there are some wonderful Judo clubs in Seattle.

My current background is in Judo, but I'm looking to move more towards BJJ. I have no experience with SAMBO, thought I'm not adverse to learning.

I'm looking for grappling over stand up, as I found Judo to be difficult at 6'3" 285lbs. However, I'm also looking for a solid workout, and I found that to be the case with Judo.

I guess I'm asking for advice, given a Judo background, and the fact I'm a big guy, would I get a good workout with Gracie Barra, are there any issues with the school, or the politics? Would Sea-Town SAMBO be worth the commute? Is there another viable option?

I travel anywhere from a half hour to 45 min (hell an hour if their is really bad traffic) to train at Sea-Town, in my opinion it is worth it. I have closer options that would allow me to include grappling / throwing into my game (or school for that matter) but I find the knowledge level at Sea-Town SAMBO hard to beat. You can find my review here on Bullshido, just do a search for it.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    I travel anywhere from a half hour to 45 min (hell an hour if their is really bad traffic) to train at Sea-Town, in my opinion it is worth it. I have closer options that would allow me to include grappling / throwing into my game (or school for that matter) but I find the knowledge level at Sea-Town SAMBO hard to beat. You can find my review here on Bullshido, just do a search for it.
    Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking. I'm most likely going to be in the area of Redmond Town Center, any idea what the commute would be like?
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also can't find the fee schedule for Sea-Town, is it somewhere on their website and I'm just blind?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 11:40am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SeaTown Sambo is awesome, and worth the drive if you have the time. I do KK primarily at this point, in Kirkland but I've also started going to Coga MMA in Woodinville (VERY convienent from Redmond) because they offer BJJ (under instruction of a brown belt at this time, and he's very cool), boxing, kickboxing and some additional fitness classes, all for a pretty good price. PM me if you want to know more details.

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 12:41pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking. I'm most likely going to be in the area of Redmond Town Center, any idea what the commute would be like?
    I come more from the South side of Seattle (Kent or Issaquah) so sorry I can't really help you their.

I also can't find the fee schedule for Sea-Town, is it somewhere on their website and I'm just blind?
    It's listed here:
    http://www.seattle-jujutsu.org/contact.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Town Web Site
    Practices are held at 7pm on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
    They practice more often than that however, those are just the posted times.
    Last edited by lionknight; 7/15/2011 12:53pm at .

MADE OF STEEL!

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'm not the only one!
    I'm also planning on moving to Seattle in the Fall, and was looking at Sea-Town for a place to train.
    We should like, all hang out or something.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 1:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I've contacted Gracie Bellvue, and Seat-Town SAMBO, I think I'll spend a month, shop around, and then decide but you've given me some great food for thought.

Thanks guys.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 2:37pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I guess I'm not the only one!
    I'm also planning on moving to Seattle in the Fall, and was looking at Sea-Town for a place to train.
    We should like, all hang out or something.
    Seriously, guys, PM me when you get to the area if you want to just meet some people in your new town. I've got a fun circle of friends who like to BBQ, go out, watch football, see shows and stuff. We're not cliquey assholes.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast