Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 7:26am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MIXED martial Arts huh? Let's try to cook without any of the ingredients mentioned on the package!!!

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 7:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    option 3 - go take the MMA class and light people up when they try takedowns. Thats what I do.
    That falls under Option 1 - Hurt them.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 7:38am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually go, "Really? How many fights have you had? I haven't had a fight in awhile (or I just had a fight) so I need someone to beat on!"
    This usually does the job of shutting them up.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 7:51am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm waiting for Universities to come up with the modern freshman seminar that covers exositiory writing and differential calculus in the same user friendly 1.5 hour session. I am so down for an MIT rashguard.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 8:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    I'm waiting for Universities to come up with the modern freshman seminar that covers exositiory writing and differential calculus in the same user friendly 1.5 hour session. I am so down for an MIT rashguard.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tour-Calculus-.../dp/0679747885

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 9:14am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's mostly the younger MMA noobs and teenager types who go for MMA only at our club. In those classes they get to spar other guys just like them and they get to say to their school friends they are 'cage fighters'. From time to time one of these guys comes to the BJJ class and gets abused wholesale by white belts. The serious MMA guys who compete regularly all take BJJ (gi and nogi), judo, boxing and MT classes religiously. Then again, these guys are mostly older and extremely focussed on what they do. Cross training is encouraged at our club but the younger types with the ego problems prefer to drift back to their comfort zone after one or two classes of being manhandled. Part of the growing up process I guess...
    Then again, when I was a kid I always wanted to train with people who were better than me. Kids these days and their pesky PlayStation/instant gratification lifestyles!

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 9:48am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    :staredad:

I am totally talking about the guy who did MMA for 3-6 months, walks in to bjj class (some of them don't even take the class and jump right into the open mat time), acting all tough (sometimes without even removing mma gloves), picking people to roll, get his ass handed to him and then say:
    "Hey, by the way, I train MMA and it has punches and kicks inside, it's totally a different game...so..." and leaves it blank...
    as in:
    "Bro, don't think you are tougher than me, cuz i do mma, if we did an mma sparring with you, since that you only train in bjj(source unknown) and i also mastered the other things, i would kick your ass"

Actually this doesn't only happen in rolling.

I've seen similar things happen to my friends, who are competitive MT guys.

The guys come in and want to spar MT and when they do, they first start to get their ass kicked and then they either resort to "half-assed attempts to take downs which are mostly unsuccesful" or just try to convince the MT guy after the sparring like:
    "Bro, I normally do MMA and it has grappling, it's a different game, you know, you do these MT stuff but in MMA we just take you down etc."

Dude...

- As a side note...most of the MMA competitors or teachers I've trained with (or saw training with a guy skilled in another martial art) are often very modest and they try to act humble, even trying to learn something from the people they have just trained with.

But these 6 month mma guys often have this attitude (or it's just my luck)

If there are any other guys just started to train in MMA around here, it is very good that you train something very fun and very useful, i congratulate you. Hope you can all be very successful guys in future or at least keep having fun doing it.

But don't think you know everything or don't give stupid excuses after you've lost a spar.

Training MMA doesn't make you a MASTER-OF-ALL, especially not in 6 months!

It's just annoying.

TL, DR

If you did just 6 months of MMA and get your ass kicked in a sparring session to a person who is of higher level in that martial art, just shut up.
    You know, on the other hand do you have any idea how many guys I have come into my gym spouting out the side of their faces "Yeah I've done MMA......(insert small bragging)...lots of BJJ. Muay Thai guys who come in say they do kickboxing. Kickboxers who come in saying they do Muay thai?

Yeah, get over it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 10:09am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, this behavior pattern sounds really annoying. I just did my second BJJ class, plan on doing more, and I will certainly endeavor not to be this person, though at 30 I feel like I've learned to be a tad more humble than that.

I can see how people with the propensity for half-assing things (the aforementioned teens, for example) would have a hard time sticking with BJJ. The opening workout is not as strenuous as what I experience at Kyokushin, but the art itself is more painful and high impact than I would've imagined and it requires a lot of focus. And humbling...oh man, I can tell I'm gonna suck for a long time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 10:40am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    You know, on the other hand do you have any idea how many guys I have come into my gym spouting out the side of their faces "Yeah I've done MMA......(insert small bragging)...lots of BJJ. Muay Thai guys who come in say they do kickboxing. Kickboxers who come in saying they do Muay thai?

Yeah, get over it.
    I think I kinda understand how you must be feeling.

Because my current BJJ instructor also told me same kind of stories and told me it was annoying as hell.

*Some "tough" looking guy comes inside the gym while people just starting to the class*
    Tough guy - Hey! I heard you are pretty good in this area! (to the teacher) I am a fighter(!!!) I want to try your class.
    Instructor - Oh yeah? You fought mma?
    Tough guy - No...I am a fighter, I fought many times on streets...
    Instructor - *Facepalm*

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 10:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I call this the "Orange Belt Swagger"
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast