Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 11:45pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

All Three Judges Suspended for Williams-Lara Decisions

There have been consequences for the scoring of last weekend's Williams-Lara bout. Despite Erislandy Lara clearly winning, the judges scored it 115-144 and 116-144 for Paul Williams, with one draw of 114-114. This has outraged fans and media for days, and we're now seeing the fallout.

As reported by The Ring:

The three judges responsible for the controversial scoring of the Paul Williams-Erislandy Lara bout that took place last Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J. -- Donald Givens, Hilton Whitaker Jr. and Al Bennett -- have all been placed on indefinite suspension, according to a legal letter from Aaron M. Davis, commissioner of the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board ("NJSACB"), issued on Wednesday.

The NJSACB, which regulates professional boxing in New Jersey, selected the three inexperienced judges for the HBO-televised junior middleweight bout that most observers believed Lara won handily. However, Givens (116-114), Whitaker (115-114) and Bennett (114-114) inexplicably scored the 12-round bout for Williams by majority decision, an action that sparked outrage throughout the boxing world.

After conducting a full review of the controversial scoring, the NJSACB concluded that there was "no evidence of bias, fraud, corruption or incapacity on the part of any of the judges," and therefore, the government agency is not authorized to invalidate the decision or mandate a rematch, although the commissioners believe a return bout is warranted.

However, the NJSACB was "unsatisfied with the scoring of the contest, even after hearing the explanations from the judges." Thus all three were placed on indefinite suspension and "required to undergo additional training prior to their return to professional boxing."
    I'm happy the NJSACB is taking a stand against what has probably been one of the more grievous scoring decisions lately, but I don't think a rematch should happen.

Not only would a rematch give credibility to judges' decisions, it would also put Paul Williams' health at risk. Last November, Williams was the recipient of a vicious KO from Sergio Martinez. I fear this fight has taken its toll.

During the Lara fight, Williams looked worse for wear. Although he was able to last the distance, a knock out was close several times. If a rematch happens, what will happen to Williams?

So, while it's nice that there were consequences for what has surely been one of the biggest robberies recently in boxing, I fear Williams official "win" has put him at risk. After all, if a fighter feels he's winning, why would he stop fighting?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 10:47am

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His crew needs to get over making money off of him and drill it into him that he needs time off at the very least. I doubt anyone can convince him he's finished, and until he's examined properly, who's to say this fall isn't a temporary mental thing...

And it's great to finally see something happen over bad judging. Even if the judges were green as hell, it's hard to believe they weren't already fans of boxing and were that clueless on how to score a fight. I think it's more likely this "no evidence of bias___" thing is that they just can't proove it or the guys already spent it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 11:16am

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope the judges don't ever return to boxing or any commissioned combat sport for that matter!

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, if only they would take the same sorts of actions against Cecil Peoples et al.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 5:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, this is good news..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 6:46pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super8astard View Post
    until he's examined properly, who's to say this fall isn't a temporary mental thing...
    Problem is, since the Martinez fight, Paul Williams has made no adjustments to his style. And now that he's "won" against Lara, why would he? Next fight, he'll keep on getting hit by the same punches -- hoping he can eke out another win. This is especially true if a rematch happens with Lara.

Watch Williams-Lara. Because he was either unwilling or unable to better protect himself, there was swelling all around Williams' head. At certain times, he was practically defenseless. Yet, he was given the "win".

If he lost, maybe Williams would have done some soul searching and opted to either retire or make needed changes. Since he won, both are unlikely. The real loser in this "win" is Paul Williams.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 11:33am

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Problem is, since the Martinez fight, Paul Williams has made no adjustments to his style. And now that he's "won" against Lara, why would he? Next fight, he'll keep on getting hit by the same punches -- hoping he can eke out another win. This is especially true if a rematch happens with Lara.

Watch Williams-Lara. Because he was either unwilling or unable to better protect himself, there was swelling all around Williams' head. At certain times, he was practically defenseless. Yet, he was given the "win".

If he lost, maybe Williams would have done some soul searching and opted to either retire or make needed changes. Since he won, both are unlikely. The real loser in this "win" is Paul Williams.
    Which is why the part where I said he needs to take time off at the very least was put in in front of the part you responded to. He's young enough that retirement might not be neccissary, but he at least needs a lay off to get his confidence back and re-examine his style.