Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 3:13pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think if anything people are leaning towards more of the sport/combat oriented martial arts. like kickboxing/wrestling/mma whatever..and not even for the self-defense side of it, but more for the sport or fame.

some people dont care about the self-defense side of it, they just want to fight. for sport. as ironic as that may sound?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 3:26pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    In the future Martial arts will go in one of two directions

a) MMA will progres to become a Death Sport where futuristic gladiators fight to the bitter bloody end. No quarter will be asked for and none shall be given. (Sponsered by McDonalds)

b)In the post apocalyptic hell we have created only those that know THE DEADLY will survive to pass the sacred knowlege on to thier decendants. No quarter shall be asked for and none shall be given (Sponsered by BurgerKing)
    lol sounds better if it goes in both of those directions and then theres 2 factions. and then you can make a movie of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:19pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    i think if anything people are leaning towards more of the sport/combat oriented martial arts. like kickboxing/wrestling/mma whatever..and not even for the self-defense side of it, but more for the sport or fame.

some people dont care about the self-defense side of it, they just want to fight. for sport. as ironic as that may sound?
    Fighting for sport is self defense. In MMA you are trained to punch and grapple people. How is that not being able to defend yourself. More defense than Chun by a long shot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 11:53pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do... do you know the definition of ironic? Because I'm not sure that you do.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 2:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

If you can fight against other trained MMA fighters and win, chances are you can fight against a random untrained guy and win. Unles you think eye gouging,groin kicks and head butts are the true D3dly.(if so you should know anyone can do them no training is actually needed)

But what about multiple oponents you say? Run away.

because there is no MA grand master or boxing /MMA champ that can take on 3 or more guys unles they are midgets and even then they would have to be unarmed midgets.

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 3:04am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by karma2343 View Post
    Don't be so effervescent
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 4:15am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlove View Post

But what about multiple oponents you say? Run away.

because there is no MA grand master or boxing /MMA champ that can take on 3 or more guys unles they are midgets and even then they would have to be unarmed midgets.
    Maybe not in Finland...because your all either pissed on vodka, or have no will to live due to seasonal affective disorder
    :TrollDad:

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 7:26am

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by karma2343 View Post
    It's like rain on your wedding day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 12:37pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Fighting for sport is self defense. In MMA you are trained to punch and grapple people. How is that not being able to defend yourself. More defense than Chun by a long shot.
    i disagree. training for the ring is totally different then self-defense. which is something the chun strongly addresses. as opposed to your "wrasslin"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 1:03pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, I just draw a different conclusion from it I think.
    Sure the old CACC and Vale Tudo traditions existed, and even enjoyed some niche popularity, but this is the first time in modern history that something with an MMA like ruleset is becoming widely popular in a way that rivals other established sports.
    And again, as the sport grows I think it will appeal to those same immigrant communities. In fact, anyone that feels disenfranchised as a people should be attracted to fight sports. Where else do you get the potential opportunity to beat the holy **** out of some middle class white guy and not go to jail for it?

The bottom line is that I agree with what you are saying, but I think that as the paychecks get bigger and we get some boxers crossing over to a sport where they can actually be THE world champion and more people who grew up with the idea of MMA as an acceptable sport enter the sport fan culture we'll see those same nationalistic sentiments from all of the same populations that you see them from in boxing.

Just give it time. The modern sport is really only 15 years old, in 15 more years it's going to be much much larger than it is now.
    I admire your optimism, and I hope you're correct.

My concern is due to people's natural inclination towards spectacle. MMA is a sport of extremes. It can tilt towards Hughes-Penn or Shamrock-Severn II.

The more "realistic" a ruleset is towards authentic fighting, the less likely we'll see spectacle. This was very true in early UFC where the more effective fighters were often the boring fighters.

So far, UFC has done a great job with match-ups -- being careful to tread the fine line between realism and spectacle. However, there's a reason that kayfabe pro wrestling usurped genuine, authentic pro wrestling. Kayfabe has more spectacle -- and spectacle is what gets feet at the gate.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast