228327 Bullies, 4493 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 56
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Kouch is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    147

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 3:13pm


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think if anything people are leaning towards more of the sport/combat oriented martial arts. like kickboxing/wrestling/mma whatever..and not even for the self-defense side of it, but more for the sport or fame.

    some people dont care about the self-defense side of it, they just want to fight. for sport. as ironic as that may sound?
  2. Disastorm is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    62

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 3:26pm


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    In the future Martial arts will go in one of two directions

    a) MMA will progres to become a Death Sport where futuristic gladiators fight to the bitter bloody end. No quarter will be asked for and none shall be given. (Sponsered by McDonalds)

    b)In the post apocalyptic hell we have created only those that know THE DEADLY will survive to pass the sacred knowlege on to thier decendants. No quarter shall be asked for and none shall be given (Sponsered by BurgerKing)
    lol sounds better if it goes in both of those directions and then theres 2 factions. and then you can make a movie of it.
  3. The Juggernoob is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:19pm


     Style: 'Grapplin'

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    i think if anything people are leaning towards more of the sport/combat oriented martial arts. like kickboxing/wrestling/mma whatever..and not even for the self-defense side of it, but more for the sport or fame.

    some people dont care about the self-defense side of it, they just want to fight. for sport. as ironic as that may sound?
    Fighting for sport is self defense. In MMA you are trained to punch and grapple people. How is that not being able to defend yourself. More defense than Chun by a long shot.
  4. karma2343 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    619

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 11:53pm


     Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    i think if anything people are leaning towards more of the sport/combat oriented martial arts. like kickboxing/wrestling/mma whatever..and not even for the self-defense side of it, but more for the sport or fame.

    some people dont care about the self-defense side of it, they just want to fight. for sport. as ironic as that may sound?
    Do... do you know the definition of ironic? Because I'm not sure that you do.
  5. SilverGlove is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    finland
    Posts
    47

    Posted On:
    7/16/2011 2:51am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    i think if anything people are leaning towards more of the sport/combat oriented martial arts. like kickboxing/wrestling/mma whatever..and not even for the self-defense side of it, but more for the sport or fame.

    some people dont care about the self-defense side of it, they just want to fight. for sport. as ironic as that may sound?
    If you can fight against other trained MMA fighters and win, chances are you can fight against a random untrained guy and win. Unles you think eye gouging,groin kicks and head butts are the true D3dly.(if so you should know anyone can do them no training is actually needed)

    But what about multiple oponents you say? Run away.

    because there is no MA grand master or boxing /MMA champ that can take on 3 or more guys unles they are midgets and even then they would have to be unarmed midgets.
  6. 100xobm is offline
    100xobm's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,206

    Posted On:
    7/16/2011 3:04am


     Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by karma2343 View Post
    Do... do you know the definition of ironic? Because I'm not sure that you do.
    Don't be so effervescent
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.
  7. doofaloofa is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wesht Cark
    Posts
    1,575

    Posted On:
    7/16/2011 4:15am


     Style: mma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlove View Post

    But what about multiple oponents you say? Run away.

    because there is no MA grand master or boxing /MMA champ that can take on 3 or more guys unles they are midgets and even then they would have to be unarmed midgets.
    Maybe not in Finland...because your all either pissed on vodka, or have no will to live due to seasonal affective disorder
    :TrollDad:
  8. ermghoti is online now
    ermghoti's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,226

    Posted On:
    7/16/2011 7:26am


     Style: BJJ+Sanda

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by karma2343 View Post
    Do... do you know the definition of ironic? Because I'm not sure that you do.
    It's like rain on your wedding day.
  9. Kouch is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    147

    Posted On:
    7/16/2011 12:37pm


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Fighting for sport is self defense. In MMA you are trained to punch and grapple people. How is that not being able to defend yourself. More defense than Chun by a long shot.
    i disagree. training for the ring is totally different then self-defense. which is something the chun strongly addresses. as opposed to your "wrasslin"
  10. atomicpoet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    876

    Posted On:
    7/16/2011 1:03pm


     Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, I just draw a different conclusion from it I think.
    Sure the old CACC and Vale Tudo traditions existed, and even enjoyed some niche popularity, but this is the first time in modern history that something with an MMA like ruleset is becoming widely popular in a way that rivals other established sports.
    And again, as the sport grows I think it will appeal to those same immigrant communities. In fact, anyone that feels disenfranchised as a people should be attracted to fight sports. Where else do you get the potential opportunity to beat the holy **** out of some middle class white guy and not go to jail for it?

    The bottom line is that I agree with what you are saying, but I think that as the paychecks get bigger and we get some boxers crossing over to a sport where they can actually be THE world champion and more people who grew up with the idea of MMA as an acceptable sport enter the sport fan culture we'll see those same nationalistic sentiments from all of the same populations that you see them from in boxing.

    Just give it time. The modern sport is really only 15 years old, in 15 more years it's going to be much much larger than it is now.
    I admire your optimism, and I hope you're correct.

    My concern is due to people's natural inclination towards spectacle. MMA is a sport of extremes. It can tilt towards Hughes-Penn or Shamrock-Severn II.

    The more "realistic" a ruleset is towards authentic fighting, the less likely we'll see spectacle. This was very true in early UFC where the more effective fighters were often the boring fighters.

    So far, UFC has done a great job with match-ups -- being careful to tread the fine line between realism and spectacle. However, there's a reason that kayfabe pro wrestling usurped genuine, authentic pro wrestling. Kayfabe has more spectacle -- and spectacle is what gets feet at the gate.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.