Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 1:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Maintaining judo skills while injured

I hurt my neck during Randori, now I'm seeing doctors, having MRI's etc. I don't know when I'll be able to get back to training. Does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do on my own to at least maintain some skill?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have you been doing judo? How does your doc feel about you exercising in general?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 1:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing Judo for about two years. Not terribly long. My doc has ok'd me for bodyweight exercises, pushups, squats etc. as long as I'm not feeling any pain. But wants me to stay away from the weights, and no Judo of course.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 6:50pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At two years in I don't feel that you're ready to do solo directly judo-related exercises without supervision without breeding bad habits (unless you're in an incredible club with extremely good coaches and thus progress very rapidly). In theory there's a lot of things you can do with elastic straps of some sort and a solid object, or a wall, but I think it would do you more harm than good at this point in your training.

A much more important goal would be to maintain physical status quo (assuming you were in okay shape before your accident). It was very annoying to return to judo after my clavicle fracture(s) and not to be able to follow along as well as I used to. At least maintain cardio, and since you can do calisthenics that might also be a good idea (stop if there's any pain).

Just remember that you do not need to push yourself to your limits to maintain shape. I don't remember the details, but I do remember being lectured about how you can do a minimum amount of exercise and maintain your current capabilities.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 3:01am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    At two years in I don't feel that you're ready to do solo directly judo-related exercises without supervision without breeding bad habits.
    Jesus christ, If you're not capable of doing a bit of solo work after two years then you've got problems. My coach usually recommends doing foot sweeps to music when you're injured. Keep it simple though and don't try to learn anything new.

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 3:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you run?

Can you do pull ups?

Can you swim?

Do as much of each of those that you're able to.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 7:59am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmyhra View Post
    I hurt my neck during Randori, now I'm seeing doctors, having MRI's etc. I don't know when I'll be able to get back to training. Does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do on my own to at least maintain some skill?
    The BEST thing is to do nothing and heal. This is the advice I give to many but not often heeded. It much better to come back when you are healed and can but full effort into training than to try and train an might make things worse.

Now you're probably not going to listen to this, few do, so have a heart to heart with your doctor and stay well within the limits he sets. Neck injuries can be serious and they are very easy to re-injure so be very careful.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 8:42am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    The BEST thing is to do nothing and heal. This is the advice I give to many but not often heeded. It much better to come back when you are healed and can but full effort into training than to try and train an might make things worse.

Now you're probably not going to listen to this, few do, so have a heart to heart with your doctor and stay well within the limits he sets. Neck injuries can be serious and they are very easy to re-injure so be very careful.
    The pinched nerve in my neck that has caused me pain every day for five years agrees with you whole-heartedly. But I'm also the genius who did ne waza with his knees tied together for three months with a sprained MCL.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 7:47pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Jesus christ, If you're not capable of doing a bit of solo work after two years then you've got problems. My coach usually recommends doing foot sweeps to music when you're injured. Keep it simple though and don't try to learn anything new.
    It depends, I was thinking more along the lines of solo uchikomi with inner tubes and the like. Shadow sweeps are alright to do at his level.