Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 10:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never done anything like this, i just copied what my first rolling partner did to me, then added the closed guard addition to it for leverage, i didnt even know what it was called until my 2nd rolling partner.

It felt natural, but i understand that its dangerous so i will be attempting to take the back and execute triangles today instead.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 11:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    You're doing a sprawled Guillotine? Yeah, stop doing that. There are a lot of good ways to reverse you from that position.
    Depends which version, you can 10-finger guillotine someone off the sprawl with minimal risk: http://www.grapplearts.com/Ten-Finger-Guillotine.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    These beginners classes are only two days a week and 12 weeks is not that long if you think about it. We also teach them boxing on the other days and that in itself takes a while to learn to plus they get a workout hitting focus mitts and the other drills we have.
    Are some of those drills live with objectives for both participant like "guy on bottom, escape the mount, guy on top, keep the mount" or is it all dead reps?

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Depends which version, you can 10-finger guillotine someone off the sprawl with minimal risk: http://www.grapplearts.com/Ten-Finger-Guillotine.html
    10 finger for guillotne, Gable grip only for FFL.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 5:33pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP I was shut down on resorting to the guillotine early on as a newb. The escape to a guillotine is pretty easy and can be painful on a newb. Example, I guillotined a blue belt he performed the escape and drove his shoulder into my neck to force me to let go but my hands were pinned under him and I couldn't let go, it sucked and I stopped trying to guillotine everyone.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 4:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    The escape to a guillotine is pretty easy and can be painful on a newb. Example, I guillotined a blue belt he performed the escape and drove his shoulder into my neck to force me to let go but my hands were pinned under him and I couldn't let go, it sucked and I stopped trying to guillotine everyone.
    The escape to that version is, indeed, pretty easy. If you lock in the Marcelo/elbow-lift guillotine then the only escape that sometimes works is giving up mount. IMHO the fall-straight-back guillotine is pretty much in a class with the school-yard headlock, it's worth teaching only to show the defences.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:01am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    As far as the rolling on first day goes. I find the different perspectives form different BJJ schools pretty interesting. We make all beginners take a beginner only class for 10 weeks I think. Newbies may roll on the first day but usually only for position and only with a much more advanced student who will not hurt them.
    My first BJJ lesson consisted of 30-45 minutes of drilling techniques with other white belts and then over an hour of rolling with everyone. Needless to say I tapped a lot

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by swankmoney View Post
    So i had my first two Bjj classes yesterday. The first one was spent pummeling over and over again to get the technique and flow down, it was a little weird because im a very tall guy and the person i was pummeling with was probably a foot or more shorter then me.

the 2nd class we were shown the beggining of a guard pass (both hands on ukes biceps, lift and press your knee into the tail bone to open the guard and then collapse your arms and bring up their legs to lift their hips off the ground.

We then started rolling.

Other then the technique we were shown i had literally no idea what to do, my first opponent guillotined me on our first round, so i copied that and did it to him on the 2nd, he then told me that i should bring him into my closed guard after i establish the guillotine for more leverage, I did that the following three rounds and told myself for the most part this is the technique i would work on the rest of the day with my future opponents.

Needless to say it was significantly harder to do this to bigger guys I paired with next, I was able to sucessfully guillotine the 2nd guy twice, but he was able to choke me out the other 3 rounds with somthing that felt like a pin with pressure on my neck.

My third opponent was clearly the most experienced out of the three that i faced, he arm barred me twice and tapped me every round, during the 2nd round i wrapped my leg around the back of his neck and was able to successfully keep him from progressing for a good deal of time, i asked him if there was any pain afterwards and he said no, but that he thought i put myself in rubber guard, sure enough I went home and wiki'd rubber guard and it was exactly what I did, so that was kind of neat.

I'm looking forward to learning more techniques as this was the most fun i've had in a long time doing something new. Any tips other then listen to my instructor for a no-gi noob? I tried to break my first opponents guard with that technique that we learned but it seemed pretty impossible with how tight his closed guard was on me, he was up pretty far on my back and i couldnt get my knee in position, it kind of demoralized me and i regretfully didnt try it again on my other opponents.

Thanks for any input

Swank
    So, you have never done BJJ before, and you are now applying and having applied to you chokes/neck cranks.

That seems kind of odd to me. Nothing on positioning, escapes, etc., just "pummelling to get flow" and then roll? Shrimping?

Glad t hear you like BJJ, just be careful with those neck cranks and chokes.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    You say you rolled on your first day. In my opinion no newbie should roll until after three months of learning basic techniques. All my new students learn basic BJJ techniques that adopted for street fighting. By doing this you learn basic techniques properly and learn how to use it in self defense applications.

In my academy you would have learned the guillotine from a standing position first and then learn how to defend against as well. Once you get that down you would then learn how to apply it from the guard.

I don;t allow new students to roll because they have no clue what they are doing and this is how injuries occur. Also some people get frustrated because they see sparring as a competition and after getting tapped out left and right they discouraged and quit. not good for them and not good for me.
    Well, it's good to hear I'm not the only one who feels this way, regarding noobs rolling their first class.

I don't allow noobs to do randori their first class or two, either. On the ground or standing. Recipe for disaster.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 7:55pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** subs, just work on positional control. Work on taking the back, as people have stated. Work to get cross-body, mount, north-south. Learn a guard pass and just keep working it. Learn a sweep and just keep working it. If you can positionally dominate someone, the subs really don't matter, they'll come.

At my club we frequently restrict newbies to positional rolling only. (Get pins/backmount, etc., with no subs.) It helps them to get the feel of live rolling, but tends to greatly reduce the chance of spaz-injuries.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 8:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We typically have newbies rolling from the first day, but they're paired with experienced people who can control them without anyone getting hurt. The first several months they typically just work on position; I don't believe I learned any subs till I was 2 or 3 months in.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234