Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 11:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First Bjj rolling sesh.

So i had my first two Bjj classes yesterday. The first one was spent pummeling over and over again to get the technique and flow down, it was a little weird because im a very tall guy and the person i was pummeling with was probably a foot or more shorter then me.

the 2nd class we were shown the beggining of a guard pass (both hands on ukes biceps, lift and press your knee into the tail bone to open the guard and then collapse your arms and bring up their legs to lift their hips off the ground.

We then started rolling.

Other then the technique we were shown i had literally no idea what to do, my first opponent guillotined me on our first round, so i copied that and did it to him on the 2nd, he then told me that i should bring him into my closed guard after i establish the guillotine for more leverage, I did that the following three rounds and told myself for the most part this is the technique i would work on the rest of the day with my future opponents.

Needless to say it was significantly harder to do this to bigger guys I paired with next, I was able to sucessfully guillotine the 2nd guy twice, but he was able to choke me out the other 3 rounds with somthing that felt like a pin with pressure on my neck.

My third opponent was clearly the most experienced out of the three that i faced, he arm barred me twice and tapped me every round, during the 2nd round i wrapped my leg around the back of his neck and was able to successfully keep him from progressing for a good deal of time, i asked him if there was any pain afterwards and he said no, but that he thought i put myself in rubber guard, sure enough I went home and wiki'd rubber guard and it was exactly what I did, so that was kind of neat.

I'm looking forward to learning more techniques as this was the most fun i've had in a long time doing something new. Any tips other then listen to my instructor for a no-gi noob? I tried to break my first opponents guard with that technique that we learned but it seemed pretty impossible with how tight his closed guard was on me, he was up pretty far on my back and i couldnt get my knee in position, it kind of demoralized me and i regretfully didnt try it again on my other opponents.

Thanks for any input

Swank

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 11:49am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should great a training blog.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 12:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you think that would be constructive to my training i will, any tips on how to go about doing so?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 1:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, this will allow you to keep track of recurring techniques and such. When you hit a plateau you can ask some of the more experienced members to look at your blog and help see where things may be going on. There's a blog area on this site if you become a supporting member or you may go to various other blog sites and link accordingly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 1:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was considering supporting the site anyway, so this will probably be what pushes me over the edge to do so, that and my undying want for the PM function.

Btw, as far as subs/chokes go, guillo was natural for me, are there any in particular that you feel make for a strong foundation, maybe with an emphasis on things that are accessable from multiple angles of attack/defensive positions. I was thinking of looking over some triangle or RNC videos tonight and then trying them in tommorrows roll if we dont learn some sort of sub from the instructor.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 2:21pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guillotine this early on in your rolling career will prove detrimental.

Mark my words.

Mark them I'm telling you.

Now.

Let me see you mark them.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not much more advanced than you are, but I would encourage you to experiment with two things:

(1) Try starting (from the knees) with one knee raised. A lot of people will shoot on that leg, giving you more chances to play around with the guillotine (if you can sprawl quickly enough).

(2) Try forcing your opponent's knee down and passing your own through over his hip, keeping your instep over his leg for control. Get your other instep in the same position on his same leg (further down) and bring the first knee up close to his armpit, then release the second instep contol and pass fully to side.

I'm sure this advice sounds ridiculously noobish to more advanced people, but I've found both things constructive in that they are simple enough for a rank noob (me) to wrap their brain around in the beginning. Sometimes it even works :)
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 2:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    XThe guillotine this early on in your rolling career will prove detrimental.

Mark my words.

Mark them I'm telling you.

Now.

Let me see you mark themX.
    Words marked, now please explain why this is, if im making a huge mistake that will muck up my learning then I want to know why and I want to know better alternatives to said sub that will cater to a better foundation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 2:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    I'm not much more advanced than you are, but I would encourage you to experiment with two things:

(1) Try starting (from the knees) with one knee raised. A lot of people will shoot on that leg, giving you more chances to play around with the guillotine (if you can sprawl quickly enough).

(2) Try forcing your opponent's knee down and passing your own through over his hip, keeping your instep over his leg for control. Get your other instep in the same position on his same leg (further down) and bring the first knee up close to his armpit, then release the second instep contol and pass fully to side.

I'm sure this advice sounds ridiculously noobish to more advanced people, but I've found both things constructive in that they are simple enough for a rank noob (me) to wrap their brain around in the beginning. Sometimes it even works :)

I don't know if its because i have one class under my belt or because I lack imagination but what your describing is extremely difficult for me to visualize, do you have a video you could link to?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 2:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guillotine is one of the easiest submissions to get into trouble with. You will lose positions, waste your energy, and generally hurt yourself and other people until the lesson is fully realized. It is what it is.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast