Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/03/2011 3:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The beginner guys from my club laughed at me for shouting at our guys competing at Uni nationals 'Get your grip', 'Throw him for ippon'.

But really there is no other advice you can give.

Any possible opening you see as a spectator, by the time you've seen it, processed it, shouted it out, they've heard it, processed it and bam the opening is gone.

I always cringe when I hear people shout 'Tai otoshi, now!' in the back ground of videos, or if its from America 'Tie O toast, now!' its retarded and no one has ever had a throw suggestion shouted at them and then done it succesfully.

Literally all you have to do is;

1. Rei,
    2. Step off
    3. Circle
    4. Get your grip
    5. Move about a bit
    6. Throw him.

If its not ippon, hold him down or get back up again and rinse repeat.

That's all there is to competing in Judo at kyu grade level, really.

Oh and for fucks sake, don't bow at every restart it just tells everyone watching that you're a noob at your first comp and don't know what you're doing.

You only rei at the first hajime and after the sore made, never in between.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2011 4:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go have fun with it, compete while you're still young. I turn 40 next year as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2011 4:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    "Sucking air at minute 4". Ha, for a first comp* I'd say more like 30 seconds in.

*May not actually apply since Stu's already done the Wycombe newaza tournie a few times AFAIK. Although I recently did my first BJJ comp, having competed a handful of times in Judo, and still completely gassed out from nerves even though I was mindful of it. Sad face.
    I completely gassed in my first competition as well but was a lot better the last time I fought. Of course they were both Newaza only comps so I am a little more aprehensive about this one, especially if I don't make weight. Doing Newaza against bigger, stronger, younger guys is one thing but getting picked up and dumped on ones ass is another.

thanks for all the support though

Posted On:
    9/05/2011 6:08pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    I completely gassed in my first competition as well but was a lot better the last time I fought. Of course they were both Newaza only comps so I am a little more aprehensive about this one, especially if I don't make weight. Doing Newaza against bigger, stronger, younger guys is one thing but getting picked up and dumped on ones ass is another.

thanks for all the support though
    Oh!

You meant this!

http://stuartjudo.blogspot.com/2011/...nd-tricks.html

I thought you wanted to publish this, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Chaps, can we not **** up Stu's thread with BJJ vs Judo and 'waah you meanie' kyu grade stuff.

Not surprising given its in your area and is basically one of the 'go to' beginner comps.

If you get a taste for it and don't mind venturing further afield, here's the other 'go to' beginner comp, Rod Lane.

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/pdf/De...eKyuGrades.pdf

Haffner means what he says on the entry form and he does police it to keep out undergraded players, gong hunters etc...

So its a nice entry level comp.

Re: weight.

Losing a key is nothing, just don't eat that much the day or two before. Not starve yourself, but just smaller portions than usual. Have a **** in the morning and don't eat or drink anything until after weigh in. And bam there's you're key gone.

After weigh in

You'll probably be in Judo trousers and a t-shirt for weigh in.

So I like to put some trackies on over my Judo trousers whack on a hoodie and then have a banana and some water, but don't go mad.

If you haven't got any mates competing bring your ipod or a book to read and just chillax. Obviously keep an ear open for them calling your category.

In the weeks before

If you've never competed before, then I strongly suggest that you practice with your coach the bowing procedure in the weeks before the comp.

I can't tell you how many beginners get themselves psyched up and ready, but come on and **** up the rei, so the ref stops them and makes them do it again. They don't understand why they've been stopped, often need to be walked through the rei and by the time its all done they've completely lost focus, their nerves are all back and they're not concentrating.

So yeh, get your coach to teach you how to do it and practice it.

On the day

Make sure you go to the bog before your category is called, you don't want to end up all over youtube.

See my tips and tricks thread -section 'being knackered' - subsection 'shiai', for how to deal with sucking wind at minute 4.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106682

And as always when you're out their you only need to remember three things:

1. Get your grip.
    2. Do your Judo.
    3. Throw them for Ippon.

On and enjoy yourself.
    The 'people will find it amusing' bit makes sense now, lol!

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/05/2011 7:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always wonder WTF coaches are thinking when they send students to shiai and have not drilled them on reiho/procedures. It annoys me to no end and slows down the entire tournament.

I've seen adults who literally did not know anything about bow in procedures, although it's much more of a problem with little kids.

Typical scenario: Kids throws another for yuko, gets Kesa Gatame, ref yells "Osaekomi", kid stand up from hold down. Then ref has to explain to kid what "osaekomi" is. All the while coach is screaming at kid for letting the other guy up!
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2011 6:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo & Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Then ref has to explain to kid what "osaekomi" is.
    If this action were to occur at anything other than a "training" tournament I'd be complaining about the referee to the Head Referee or Jury. It's not the Referees place or job to explain the rules to the player during the match. It is the Coach's job to prepare and train the player in the dojo prior to the competition. If the coach fails to competently do his job by not ensuring rules familiarity and understanding then that is a weakness that can be exploited by a better trained player. It is not the Referee's place to provide remedial training at the expense of the other player. The Referee's job is to administer the match. The Referee is actually being unfair to the other player by this action. By explaining the rules to the opponent it takes away an advantage to my player, that I have prepared by explaining and ensuring they understand the rules.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/07/2011 6:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warchief View Post
    If this action were to occur at anything other than a "training" tournament I'd be complaining about the referee to the Head Referee or Jury. It's not the Referees place or job to explain the rules to the player during the match. It is the Coach's job to prepare and train the player in the dojo prior to the competition. If the coach fails to competently do his job by not ensuring rules familiarity and understanding then that is a weakness that can be exploited by a better trained player. It is not the Referee's place to provide remedial training at the expense of the other player. The Referee's job is to administer the match. The Referee is actually being unfair to the other player by this action. By explaining the rules to the opponent it takes away an advantage to my player, that I have prepared by explaining and ensuring they understand the rules.
    At a larger tournament, no, but at the local level we do it all the time, it's part of the process, and also depends on age group. Judo Canada has it's own specific guidelines per age and experience of the contestants,and those include modifications of the rules and referee behavior.

In any case, the kids should be prepared by their coach no matter what, I agree.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 3:35pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warchief View Post
    If this action were to occur at anything other than a "training" tournament I'd be complaining about the referee to the Head Referee or Jury.
    Maybe if we're talking about older kids but if it's a couple of 8 year olds in a local tournament then I'm with Ben - your job as a ref is to keep them safe, help them enjoy their tournament experience and learn something more about judo. In all likelihood their coach did tell them what to do and it went in one ear and out the other. Some kids have no memory whatsoever for Japanese terminology.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 8:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah.

And some of refs often go really overboard with the pronunciation anyway.

Osaekomi often comes out as skmi! Sounds like the fucker is sneezing, I don't blame kids for being confused.

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 8:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're probably not aware, but the contest between you and your opponent is not the main contest on the mat.

The real contest is between the referees as to who can shorten the calls to the loudest and sharpest cries possible.

As such;

'TE!' means 'matte'.
    'Jime' means 'Hajime'
    'Keta' means 'toketa'

And

'Komi' means 'Osaekomi'

Any referee who can further shorten these to even more unintelligibly blurted monosyllables wins extra points.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast