Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 8:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chaps, can we not **** up Stu's thread with BJJ vs Judo and 'waah you meanie' kyu grade stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    That funny i was just discussing this comp with my instructor and yes i will probably enter, once The Boss has given me clearance. Re the dieting, yes i am 91kg so will make sure i get in that under 90kg category
    Not surprising given its in your area and is basically one of the 'go to' beginner comps.

If you get a taste for it and don't mind venturing further afield, here's the other 'go to' beginner comp, Rod Lane.

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/pdf/De...eKyuGrades.pdf

Haffner means what he says on the entry form and he does police it to keep out undergraded players, gong hunters etc...

So its a nice entry level comp.

Re: weight.

Losing a key is nothing, just don't eat that much the day or two before. Not starve yourself, but just smaller portions than usual. Have a **** in the morning and don't eat or drink anything until after weigh in. And bam there's you're key gone.

After weigh in

You'll probably be in Judo trousers and a t-shirt for weigh in.

So I like to put some trackies on over my Judo trousers whack on a hoodie and then have a banana and some water, but don't go mad.

If you haven't got any mates competing bring your ipod or a book to read and just chillax. Obviously keep an ear open for them calling your category.

In the weeks before

If you've never competed before, then I strongly suggest that you practice with your coach the bowing procedure in the weeks before the comp.

I can't tell you how many beginners get themselves psyched up and ready, but come on and **** up the rei, so the ref stops them and makes them do it again. They don't understand why they've been stopped, often need to be walked through the rei and by the time its all done they've completely lost focus, their nerves are all back and they're not concentrating.

So yeh, get your coach to teach you how to do it and practice it.

On the day

Make sure you go to the bog before your category is called, you don't want to end up all over youtube.

See my tips and tricks thread -section 'being knackered' - subsection 'shiai', for how to deal with sucking wind at minute 4.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106682

And as always when you're out their you only need to remember three things:

1. Get your grip.
    2. Do your Judo.
    3. Throw them for Ippon.

On and enjoy yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 9:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Chaps, can we not **** up Stu's thread with BJJ vs Judo and 'waah you meanie' kyu grade stuff.

Not surprising given its in your area and is basically one of the 'go to' beginner comps.

If you get a taste for it and don't mind venturing further afield, here's the other 'go to' beginner comp, Rod Lane.

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/pdf/De...eKyuGrades.pdf

Haffner means what he says on the entry form and he does police it to keep out undergraded players, gong hunters etc...

So its a nice entry level comp.

Re: weight.

Losing a key is nothing, just don't eat that much the day or two before. Not starve yourself, but just smaller portions than usual. Have a **** in the morning and don't eat or drink anything until after weigh in. And bam there's you're key gone.

After weigh in

You'll probably be in Judo trousers and a t-shirt for weigh in.

So I like to put some trackies on over my Judo trousers whack on a hoodie and then have a banana and some water, but don't go mad.

If you haven't got any mates competing bring your ipod or a book to read and just chillax. Obviously keep an ear open for them calling your category.

In the weeks before

If you've never competed before, then I strongly suggest that you practice with your coach the bowing procedure in the weeks before the comp.

I can't tell you how many beginners get themselves psyched up and ready, but come on and **** up the rei, so the ref stops them and makes them do it again. They don't understand why they've been stopped, often need to be walked through the rei and by the time its all done they've completely lost focus, their nerves are all back and they're not concentrating.

So yeh, get your coach to teach you how to do it and practice it.

On the day

Make sure you go to the bog before your category is called, you don't want to end up all over youtube.

See my tips and tricks thread -section 'being knackered' - subsection 'shiai', for how to deal with sucking wind at minute 4.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106682

This is great, thanks. Mind if I pinch some of this for my blog? i will of course give you credit for it

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 9:23am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When do you weigh yourself? If it's in the morning, after a dump and before you eat or drink anything, that will be your lightest weight. If that weight is 91 you might need to do a couple more things to make 90. Try skipping booze and carbs for 3 or 4 days leading up to the competition - they make you retain water and so be a little heavier than you ought. If you're still a little heavy, a half-hour of cardio in sweats ought to do the trick.

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 9:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is great, thanks. Mind if I pinch some of this for my blog? i will of course give you credit for it
    No that's fine, but what do you want it for?

If you want 'teh officialz' Judoka_uk guide to your first contest I can knock one up over the weekend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 9:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No that's fine, but what do you want it for?

If you want 'teh officialz' Judoka_uk guide to your first contest I can knock one up over the weekend.
    Just wanted to post it on my blog for easy reference. Also there are couple of noob Judoka who read my blog who would find this information both very useful and amusing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 9:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    When do you weigh yourself? If it's in the morning, after a dump and before you eat or drink anything, that will be your lightest weight. If that weight is 91 you might need to do a couple more things to make 90. Try skipping booze and carbs for 3 or 4 days leading up to the competition - they make you retain water and so be a little heavier than you ought. If you're still a little heavy, a half-hour of cardio in sweats ought to do the trick.

I weigh myself at the same time everyday, which is after I have worked out in the gym (approx 1pm) and before I have eaten lunch. Yesterday I was 89.5kg and today I was 91.5kg. I've managed to lose a couple of KG since cutting out bread from my lunches and replacing it with salad, for example I now eat Tuna Salad instead of Tuna rolls.

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 10:17am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to post it on my blog for easy reference. Also there are couple of noob Judoka who read my blog who would find this information both very useful and amusing.
    Very well then. Go forth, with my blessing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 10:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very well then. Go forth, with my blessing.
    Cheers

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 11:28am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone mentioned the importance of warming up properly and keeping warm?

If you're sat about a long time between bouts, it's possible to cool down and go stiff. Which sucks.

Anyway, good luck Stu, kick some ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2011 3:00pm

Style: Judo noob, BJJ uber noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Sucking air at minute 4". Ha, for a first comp* I'd say more like 30 seconds in.

*May not actually apply since Stu's already done the Wycombe newaza tournie a few times AFAIK. Although I recently did my first BJJ comp, having competed a handful of times in Judo, and still completely gassed out from nerves even though I was mindful of it. Sad face.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast