Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 4:30pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From some of the preliminary reading I've done, it seems like if I were to do something than active duty, it should probably be ROTC. It looks like reserves end up having a lot of the same duties, with drastically less in benefits.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 10:13pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    From some of the preliminary reading I've done, it seems like if I were to do something than active duty, it should probably be ROTC. It looks like reserves end up having a lot of the same duties, with drastically less in benefits.
    A solid choice. Another option that I think a lot of people overlook is doing the 18X program as national guard, and going to either 19th or 20th Group. The guys I know doing that seem to like it quite a lot.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 11:03pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    Once you're a reservist it's generally pretty easy to go active. Not like you lose rank by doing it.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 12:48pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Devil, maybe you haven't been around long enough to know but you are arguing with the two most non-standard Military people on the entire site and possibly the entire internet. Both Gezere and Cassius have been making the ARMY work for THEM since before I started posting here. If you were in the military then you know there are perks and programs that exist. The guys you are arguing with have likely taken advantage of ALL of them and IIRC Gezere invented a few.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 10:23pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice. I'm gonna ask too when its my time to enlist :)
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was in the navy for a little over a year. one year i was working in the recruiting office as a secretary/gopher, and then i was finally able to ship out to boot where i got a fucked knee and rolled out on the next greyhound.

however, i was in for nuke tech, and i have been friends with many people who were nuke techs.

the first 2 years have ~50% attrition. they are basically cramming 3 years worth of training into 2. after that, things start to suck. the job is not nearly as glamorous as recruiters would have you believe, the college credits don't transfer (one of my buddies had 3 PE credits transfer to his state college, ironically the college only required 2 PE creds for his engineering degree). also, the duties of a nuke tech aren't all that great. in your last 4 years of your 6 year enlistment, you don't get the experience you hope to get to serve you in the civilian world. you'd have to be in for 10 years for that. or, you could go to college and finish out your degree and be doing nuclear technology work in 3ish years.

furthermore, you don't get a life. you don't have time to do your college work while enlisted, you don't get much time to ****. the reason? you will work about 40-50 hours a week minimum. but then you have to do ship duties (cleaning, polishing, standing guard, all that good ****) on top of your regular work. then you have all the seminars and everything you want to go to so that you look more attractive at promotion time. after that, you get reviewed every 13 months to see if you get to keep rate. bad review, you're swabbing poop decks until your enlistment is up. so, you will want to do extra work on top of your extra work.

after your work, extra, and extra extra, you will have invested about 100 hours a week into your job. that doesn't leave much time for taking classes, and your pay comes out to less than minimum wage.

finally, nuke techs don't get the ***** like other MOS guys do.

you want a challenge? do SEAL or SWCC. it sucks, same long hours and ****, same shitty pay, but at least you're doing something cool instead of going behind somebody and double checking valves and cataloging tools.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by STB'A View Post
    you want a challenge? do SEAL or SWCC. it sucks, same long hours and ****, same shitty pay, but at least you're doing something cool instead of going behind somebody and double checking valves and cataloging tools.
    I'm not sure about SWCC guys, but SEALs get a decent pay bump with SDAP (I believe they are level 5, so that's $375 a month), dive pay (somewhere between $110-340), HALO/HAHO Pay ($225 a month . . . They only do 3 days of static line, completely bypassing the 3 week annoyingness of Ft. Benning's BAC), demo pay ($150), and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. DEVGRU guys get a lot more than that, obviously. Also being TDY/TAD all the time (which you will be) has some amazing financial benefits if you frequent places with high per diem rates. I believe they are slotted to receive language pay as well, which caps out at 1000 bucks a month (400 max per language, usually).

So the pay is most definitely not the same, but I agree that people tend feel quite a lot more rewarded by work in the SOCOM arena.

As a side note, you would receive approximately the same type of pay scheme at the Special Forces Groups (probably not both dive pay and HALO/HAHO pay), and a bit less after completing Ranger School at the 75th Ranger Regiment (300 SDAP, 150 static line airborne, 150 master breacher, some other perks that make up the pay differential).
    Last edited by Cassius; 7/21/2011 10:01am at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 1:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Devil, maybe you haven't been around long enough to know but you are arguing with the two most non-standard Military people on the entire site and possibly the entire internet. Both Gezere and Cassius have been making the ARMY work for THEM since before I started posting here. If you were in the military then you know there are perks and programs that exist. The guys you are arguing with have likely taken advantage of ALL of them and IIRC Gezere invented a few.
    I don't dispute that at all, and that is great for them. The fact that their experience isn't typical is my exact point.

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 5:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I don't dispute that at all, and that is great for them. The fact that their experience isn't typical is my exact point.
    I would say that a major difference between me and the guys to my left and right is that I'm not afraid to ask people tons of questions (At the appropriate time! Not when there are work priorities) about what's out there in the military. I would say the biggest selection factor (at least in the Army) between the guy that gets a sweet duty position and the guy that ends up cutting grass all day is that they guy who got the job did the necessary legwork to find out that said job exists. The type of person who looks for these types of opportunities is the type of person who will do whatever hard work is necessary to take advantage of them, in my experience.

The other major trick is flexibility. No matter where you are, always look for ways to improve yourself with whatever is unique and/or advantageous about your current situation. If that means learning an entirely new skill, that's great. If that means having to discipline to use TA to knock out a college class at a time you know you're not going to be busy instead of screwing around, that's great too. People in the military are too quick to fall into routines or continue doing what they are used to doing instead of taking advantage of what's actually there. If you do take advantage of what you have instead of trying to force, buy, or make what you do not have, you will likely avoid the vast majority of problems service members seem to run into. The cost is that you can often end up doing things you never thought you would do, but what's the point of joining the military in the first place if you're not up for that?

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    I'm not sure about SWCC guys, but SEALs get a decent pay bump with SDAP (I believe they are level 5, so that's $375 a month), dive pay (somewhere between $110-340), HALO/HAHO Pay ($225 a month . . . They only do 3 days of static line, completely bypassing the 3 week annoyingness of Ft. Benning's BAC), demo pay ($150), and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. DEVGRU guys get a lot more than that, obviously. Also being TDY/TAD all the time (which you will be) has some amazing financial benefits if you frequent places with high per diem rates. I believe they are slotted to receive language pay as well, which caps out at 1000 bucks a month (400 max per language, usually).

So the pay is most definitely not the same, but I agree that people tend feel quite a lot more rewarded by work in the SOCOM arena.

As a side note, you would receive approximately the same type of pay scheme at the Special Forces Groups (probably not both dive pay and HALO/HAHO pay), and a bit less after completing Ranger School at the 75th Ranger Regiment (300 SDAP, 150 static line airborne, 150 master breacher, some other perks that make up the pay differential).
    i stand corrected. i figured that SEAL/SWCC got paid about the same as a bubble head nuke tech. apparently, SEAL qualification is great on your pocketbook.

so, according to cas, if you make it through buds and into a seal team, not only will you derive more job satisfaction, but you will be swimming in the dough. now the only question is, do you think you can make it?
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast