218358 Bullies, 7532 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 61 to 70 of 148
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Cassius is online now
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,950

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 2:23pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, but I think you're using the best possible scenario to represent military pay and I think you're grossly underestimating the earning potential of doctors and lawyers. I understand the benefits of military pay. My work also gives me access to earnings info for many doctors and lawyers. Despite the numbers from Kiplinger, I can assure you there are lots of opportunities for ambitious doctors and lawyers to exceed the total career earnings of a typical enlisted man in less than five years.
    Hey man, it's a free country. Agree to disagree. I am sure there are lots of opportunities for doctors to earn more, but according to actual figures that I can see and touch, it seems that many don't take those opportunities. Regardless, I am kind of disappointed that you are so fixated on something I was only using to show that service members do better than one might think. Would it make you feel better if I were to say that I make quite a lot more than the majority of financial analysts and accountants that I know who are in the same stage of career progression that I am? I was only trying to characterize the military as a competitive alternative to fairly common young professional jobs.

    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I also don't think your healthcare examples are typical for military personnel. I know a lot of folks who had horrible experiences with military medical and dental facilities.
    I know a lot of people that have had problems. And I know a ton of people who have had great experiences. For instance, 10 days ago, I had my C5-C6 disc replaced with a medtronics prestige @ Walter Reed. In and out same day, scar is healing nicely. No complications. My surgeon had performed approximately 2000 of these procedures. I hope he makes a lot more money than I do, by the way. Because he was awesome. My doctors at Ft. Benning were great, too.

    As for the people I personally know who have had serious problems with military healthcare, a large number of them admit now that it was because they were not proactive regarding their healthcare options. I'm sure there are many who are dissatisfied, but I would be surprised if the actual instances of medical incompetence were statistically significant compared to the civilian realm. Maybe I'm completely wrong. I'd love to see numbers on the issue.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  2. Gezere is offline
    Gezere's Avatar

    My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,587

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 2:34pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    For starters, you realize that a dentist who makes $9000/month is a serious underachiever, right? I've personally seen dentists start up small practices and make around $500-$600K/yr in just a few years.
    Again depends on the area. There is no way a dentist is going to make that much here. The average salary for a dentist with their own practice is $125K.

    Seriously, you guys are painting the most ridiculous picture of military pay I've ever seen. Especially enlisted pay. If you honestly think you can compare your pay and lifestyle to that of a doctor, you're delusional. For starters, I don't know where you live but lots of guys live in base housing which is often shitty. If you're getting combat pay, it won't last forever. Plus, the other benefits from being in the military are balanced by the **** factor of being in the military, like being away from family for months on end.
    Who obviously have been out for a while and talking out your ass. One base housing here is nice and comparable to pretty much any new subdivision being built.
    Second I really don't think you understand how a practice works. Yes doctors can make a lot of money but that also depends on a) what they do and b) where they are.

    If you want to talk about the fun deployments, tell the whole truth. The time off overseas is only a piece of it. The rest of the deployment your ass belongs to them. If you're in the Marine Corps or Navy you're likely stuck in a ship. That means weekends too. Or maybe you're in Iraq or Afghanistan and you can't leave your base except to go look for bad guys. When you look at the number of hours you're obligated to be somewhere for the government, your per hour pay is closer to a burger flipper than a doctor.
    Reading comprehension isn't your friend.
    Note I said STATIONED overseas NOT deployed is when you have the fun.
    No burger flipper makes nowhere near as much as I do.

    No matter how you want to slice it, the bottom line is this. If you're a career enlisted man in the US military, you're going to retire in the middle class. If you're a doctor, you're probably going to retire fairly wealthy. I'm not knocking military guys like "Ha ha, you're poor!" The pay is WAY better than when I was in. But quit trying to explain how someone can make doctor pay as an E6 in the military. It's silly.
    FYI many doctors retire in the middle class too. My parents neighbor is a retired doctor my dad is a retired officer. My parent's they both live in Covington, GA. Again I really don't think you truly know what you are talking about here.
    Again you are not comprehending what I said. Military Pay isn't going to make you rich but it will make you well off. Add to it the other perks makes things better. Yes you have the suck to but you will have that at any job you work.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
  3. Cassius is online now
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,950

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 2:43pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    No matter how you want to slice it, the bottom line is this. If you're a career enlisted man in the US military, you're going to retire in the middle class. If you're a doctor, you're probably going to retire fairly wealthy. I'm not knocking military guys like "Ha ha, you're poor!" The pay is WAY better than when I was in. But quit trying to explain how someone can make doctor pay as an E6 in the military. It's silly.
    My apologies if it was not clear, but I was specifically referencing interns and residents in terms of MY salary. Of course they are going to eventually crush me in terms of salary, I'm just pointing out that by the time they catch up, I will have had quite a bit of lead time to invest my money, which I have been pretty successful at so far.

    As to your comments on deployments, I've done the OEF thing twice, and I had a lot of fun both times. Lot of good productive work. I guess life would have sucked if I somehow had joined the military assuming I wasn't going to deploy and go hunt down bad guys that want to kill me, but that was why I joined the military in the first place, so I was fine with it. Most of the time I was at outstations without a lot of amenities, but also without a lot of restrictions. I've never been stationed overseas (as in South Korea, German, Italy, etc), though.
    Last edited by Cassius; 7/15/2011 2:46pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  4. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,362

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 2:43pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** it, I give up. Again, I've been in your shoes or at least in pretty damn similar shoes. I think the difference between you and I is that I've experienced first hand the difference between being an enlisted man in the military and a college educated white collar professional.

    I think the difference will become more apparent when you and your doctor/lawyer friends reach your retirement years.

    And I'm not fixating on anything. You brought it up.
  5. Cassius is online now
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,950

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 2:49pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    FYI many doctors retire in the middle class too. My parents neighbor is a retired doctor my dad is a retired officer. My parent's they both live in Covington, GA. Again I really don't think you truly know what you are talking about here.
    Again you are not comprehending what I said. Military Pay isn't going to make you rich but it will make you well off. Add to it the other perks makes things better. Yes you have the suck to but you will have that at any job you work.
    My friend's dad is a retired Army physician, and her mom is a retired army Nurse Practitioner. They both insist that being able to fly Space-A whenever they want was worth the 20 some odd year careers. I somehow question that, but it's pretty funny.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  6. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,362

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 2:58pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Again depends on the area. There is no way a dentist is going to make that much here. The average salary for a dentist with their own practice is $125K.


    Who obviously have been out for a while and talking out your ass. One base housing here is nice and comparable to pretty much any new subdivision being built.
    Second I really don't think you understand how a practice works. Yes doctors can make a lot of money but that also depends on a) what they do and b) where they are.


    Reading comprehension isn't your friend.
    Note I said STATIONED overseas NOT deployed is when you have the fun.
    No burger flipper makes nowhere near as much as I do.


    FYI many doctors retire in the middle class too. My parents neighbor is a retired doctor my dad is a retired officer. My parent's they both live in Covington, GA. Again I really don't think you truly know what you are talking about here.
    Again you are not comprehending what I said. Military Pay isn't going to make you rich but it will make you well off. Add to it the other perks makes things better. Yes you have the suck to but you will have that at any job you work.
    I have been out for a while, true. I understand many things have changed. There's still plenty of suck ass base housing and you know it. I was at Midway Park at Camp Lejeune six months ago. Still ****.

    You're a soldier. Don't tell me about how a medical practice works. I've forgotten more than you'll ever know.

    I know you said stationed overseas. But you can't use that to represent military life in general. Sometimes guys get lucky and get stationed somewhere awesome. Sometimes they're deployed without their family for a year and a half. The whole picture is all I'm asking for.

    Carry on Doctors Gezere and Cassius.
  7. Cassius is online now
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,950

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 3:00pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    **** it, I give up. Again, I've been in your shoes or at least in pretty damn similar shoes. I think the difference between you and I is that I've experienced first hand the difference between being an enlisted man in the military and a college educated white collar professional.

    I think the difference will become more apparent when you and your doctor/lawyer friends reach your retirement years.

    And I'm not fixating on anything. You brought it up.
    I actually went to college before I enlisted, and I was not happy at all with how my life was going until I did so. I would say the big difference between my friends who graduated at the same time and me up until this point is that I have actually gotten to LIVE my 20s while still making a living wage and starting a nest egg. And I've gotten shot at a lot, but that's the job I signed up for. My friends are mostly just finishing up school or in their 1st or second year of actually working, have no savings, huge debt and some disposable income but not enough to travel a lot, and some have even bought houses and started having kids. Even with all that debt. Which is cool too, if that's what you want to do.

    Maybe in 20 years I'll regret changing my mind about med school, but I doubt it.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  8. Cassius is online now
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,950

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 3:06pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!


    Devil: Show me on the doll where your squad leader touched you . . .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  9. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,362

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 3:13pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    I actually went to college before I enlisted, and I was not happy at all with how my life was going until I did so. I would say the big difference between my friends who graduated at the same time and me up until this point is that I have actually gotten to LIVE my 20s while still making a living wage and starting a nest egg. And I've gotten shot at a lot, but that's the job I signed up for. My friends are mostly just finishing up school or in their 1st or second year of actually working, have no savings, huge debt and some disposable income but not enough to travel a lot, and some have even bought houses and started having kids. Even with all that debt. Which is cool too, if that's what you want to do.

    Maybe in 20 years I'll regret changing my mind about med school, but I doubt it.
    I'm not hating on you man. I think joining the military is a fine choice. Earlier in this thread I was explaining how much I've benefited from my military experience. I wouldn't be where I am now in my career without it. I just thought the whole discussion about how much money can be made as an enlisted man in the military was a bit much. I wouldn't encourage anyone to join the military for the money. It should be way down on their list of considerations. If money is a priority, there are better directions to take in life.
  10. Gezere is offline
    Gezere's Avatar

    My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,587

    Posted On:
    7/15/2011 3:28pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I have been out for a while, true. I understand many things have changed. There's still plenty of suck ass base housing and you know it. I was at Midway Park at Camp Lejeune six months ago. Still ****.

    You're a soldier. Don't tell me about how a medical practice works. I've forgotten more than you'll ever know.

    I know you said stationed overseas. But you can't use that to represent military life in general. Sometimes guys get lucky and get stationed somewhere awesome. Sometimes they're deployed without their family for a year and a half. The whole picture is all I'm asking for.

    Carry on Doctors Gezere and Cassius.
    Evidently you don't know how it works because what you have been stating isn't accurate.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.