Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    According to the TASKORD I just got the age limit is will be enforced.

My old Company is classing up on Monday. I did a little bit of investigating to see how many candidates will be attempting to class up. Without revealing too much - There are over 150 with around 90 of them being Active Duty. Of those 90 Active Duty there were only 19 prior service. Of the 71 college option, non-prior service there are 10 that are over the age of 30. I will be able to give more statistics after Tuesday.

However, I stand on first hand experience again. They are still accepting the over-30 crowd as college option.

Like I said...not buying bullshit about denial into OCS based on age. I am sure someone can quote a MILPER message - but I can look at PERSTATS first hand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 12:43am

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9 View Post
    My old Company is classing up on Monday. I did a little bit of investigating to see how many candidates will be attempting to class up. Without revealing too much - There are over 150 with around 90 of them being Active Duty. Of those 90 Active Duty there were only 19 prior service. Of the 71 college option, non-prior service there are 10 that are over the age of 30. I will be able to give more statistics after Tuesday.

However, I stand on first hand experience again. They are still accepting the over-30 crowd as college option.

Like I said...not buying bullshit about denial into OCS based on age. I am sure someone can quote a MILPER message - but I can look at PERSTATS first hand.
    Good to know. It is possible that the recruiter just gave him the info and was to lazy to bother with seeking a waiver (as when we were having this discussion he hadn't even left for basic yet.) I'll pass on the info to him, Im sure he'd appreciate it.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 3:04am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just and FYI the age requirement is being strictly upheld now for OCS. I have been tasked to sit on an OCS board and age waivers will no longer be taken since the Army, as well as the rest of the Armed Forces, is downsizing. So if you are over 28 I suggest ROTC. Reserve and NG OCS may be different (Phrost can weigh in on that)

Proffesional people (doctors, lawyers, dentist, Vets, etc) are indeed needed and still being accepted.
    What are those age limits, Gezere? My 28th birthday is April 9th. Is it different among the branches? Also, I've looked into ROTC, but from everything I've been able to find, read, and ask people, it seems that age is an even bigger restriction for ROTC.

I would love to pursue an ROTC option, but had written it off long ago largely because of the age issue. If my information is incorrect, or you know of other methods, I say please please please tell me what you know.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 3:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just and FYI the age requirement is being strictly upheld now for OCS. I have been tasked to sit on an OCS board and age waivers will no longer be taken since the Army, as well as the rest of the Armed Forces, is downsizing. So if you are over 28 I suggest ROTC. Reserve and NG OCS may be different (Phrost can weigh in on that)

Proffesional people (doctors, lawyers, dentist, Vets, etc) are indeed needed and still being accepted.
    I knew a 55yo MD who joined the Navy, he was commissioned at an 0-6 with respect to his medical experience, with no expectation for advancement. He wanted his wife to have the best medical care she could get for her illness and the military can't deny a dependent just because it's a pre-existing condition, so....
    It happens, but you have to have skills that they REALLY can't say NO to.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9 View Post

You also have to keep in mind that some of the people may have been grandfathered in. It was almost a year before I went to OCS when I got accepted. Others have been longer.

I know for the board I will sit on that Age waivers will not be accepted, period. And I will quote the MILPER on this:
    B. REQUEST FOR WAIVERS FOR TIME IN SERVICE (TIS), AGE, AND UCMJ/CIVIL CONVICTIONS ARE SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY.
    C. ACCEPTANCE OF MEDICAL WAIVER REQUESTS IS SUSPENDED
    INDEFINITELY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taebo Master
    What are those age limits, Gezere? My 28th birthday is April 9th. Is it different among the branches? Also, I've looked into ROTC, but from everything I've been able to find, read, and ask people, it seems that age is an even bigger restriction for ROTC.

I would love to pursue an ROTC option, but had written it off long ago largely because of the age issue. If my information is incorrect, or you know of other methods, I say please please please tell me what you know.
    The age limit is 28 when you submit your application. However I am not sure how that will affect you as a college op. Also keep in mind these do change from year to year by the next year they might realize they let too many officers out and then try and rush to fill them again.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 9:57pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know for the board I will sit on that Age waivers will not be accepted, period. And I will quote the MILPER on this:

The age limit is 28 when you submit your application. .
    So did they drop it even further?

from go army.com

At least 18 years of age at the time of regular Army enlistment and entered active duty or ship to training on or before your 30th birthday. For Army Reserve, you must be at least 18 years of age at the time of enlistment and entered active duty or ship to training on or before your 35th birthday. (Age waivers will be granted for meritorious cases only.) High school seniors may also apply.

The way I read that you'd still have till 30 as long as you had entered prior to that? or am I just misinterpreting. Obviously I'm sure you have the regs in front of you, so Im not questioning you, I just find the wording weird and somewhat misleading. But thanks for cooberating what my friend was told.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The MILPER message I have states you have to submit it before your 28th birthday. As long as it has been submitted and approved I don't think it matters what age you are when you actually go through OCS. As I said before it was almost a year before I went to OCS after I got accepted. For some of my peers it was longer than a year.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 8:42am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post

The ROTC reg is you must accept the commission prior to age 30, but waivers are granted all the time for this, and you are close. Definitely worth talking to an ROTC officer at the college you want to attend.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415