223980 Bullies, 4415 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 2:57pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AGR is also extremely difficult to get into; I've been trying for almost a year now.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 4:17pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Just crossed my mind as I didn't remember seeing it in the post. Have you considered the AGR route, lot of people consider it one of the best kept secrets in the Armed Forces
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    AGR is also extremely difficult to get into; I've been trying for almost a year now.
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is AGR?
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 5:25pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Active Guard Reserve; basically active duty National Guard. Positions like Training NCO, Recruiter, Supply, Armorer, Instructor, etc, that need to be full time to keep things running while everything else is part time.

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 6:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    In some states the guard is run like the mafia. You have to be an insider to get an AGR slot. I did five years active with the NJ guard but it was all ADSW.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 9:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    As the title would suggest, lately I've been strongly considering joining the United States' beloved Armed Forces. This is a desire that has been in the back of my mind for a very long time, but it is now in the front of my mind. I know that there are many honorable men and women who have served in uniform on Bullshido, and I am hoping for whatever insight you can give me.

I am 27 years old, which I know is older than most people who are enlisting for the first time, but still young enough that I can just barely qualify to enlist in any branch of the Military.

So far, the only recruiters I've spoken directly to have been from the Navy. Originally, my first thought was joining the Air Force because all through childhood and well into high school I wanted to be a fighter pilot (I have immaculate vision and physical ability, but I'm a fit 215 lbs, and just might be too large for a cockpit but I don't know). I fully intend to speak to recruiters from all branches to gather as much information as possible.

While I was at the recruiters' office today, they had me take a practice version of the ASVAB to predict what my score would be. I answered every question correctly, which predicts that I would get a perfect score on the ASVAB. I have filled out the form and scheduled the real test for Thursday at 2:00 pm.

I have approximately 70 college credits, which according to the recruiters would allow me to enter the service as an E-3 once I've completed Basic Training. During my time in the Military, I would hope to complete a college degree and rise to the ranks of officers.

My reasons for wanting to join are many. I know that there are incomparable benefits to joining, everything from education assistance to technical training to potential for advancement. But in reality, those logistical types of benefits are secondary to me. When I think it over in my head, the reasons that really stick out to me are the immeasurable ones. Honor, duty, patriotism, things like that. I have always held our men and women in uniform in the highest regard, and instead of looking in from the outside, I realize that I can be one of those guys if I choose to be. I also am completely confident that I can excel on merit and ability.

I'm not tied to any particular branch, and I'm completely open to serving in any of them.

The purpose of this thread is to seek out advice and experience from as many of our servicemen as possible. If you'll be so kind as to share with me, I'd like to know what branch you serve in, what your experience has been, and any and all advice you might be able to offer.

Finally, to all of you who have served, I offer you my gratitude.
    Yes, join the Marines, go 0311. Go. Now.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 4:56am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is my rifle, this is my gun...
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 6:44am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some great advice in this thread. I'll just add a few things.

Officer vs Enlisted: The money and quality of life is at least twice as good as an officer. If you decide to stay in and have a family they will be happy you are an officer.

Finishing college while serving: The actual number of enlisted guys who are able to complete a bachelors while serving is very low, probably 10% of guys who intend to, particularly now when everyone is deployed every other year. It's something you may not have any control over.

ROTC vs OCS: ROTC is a sure path to being an officer if you do your part, whereas OCS has many variables that you have no control over. Seems like every unit I was ever in had a guy who joined for OCS and didn't make it for some reason.

Enlisted Recruiters: They are not your friend, they are salesmen (sure many are great guys, but they are doing their job). Also, they really know little about officer programs and have no incentive to tell you about them.

(I have immaculate vision and physical ability, but I'm a fit 215 lbs, and just might be too large for a cockpit but I don't know)
    Unless you are obese the only thing that matters size-wise is "seated height": how long your torso is. As long as you don't have freakishly short legs and a long torso you are probably good.

Best of luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 8:58am

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    In some states the guard is run like the mafia. You have to be an insider to get an AGR slot. I did five years active with the NJ guard but it was all ADSW.
    Vorporal has a point, it can be a very who you know situation ecspecially in smaller states. 5 years ADSW huh? thats gotta suck not knowing from 1 year to the next knowing if you still have a slot.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 3:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just and FYI the age requirement is being strictly upheld now for OCS. I have been tasked to sit on an OCS board and age waivers will no longer be taken since the Army, as well as the rest of the Armed Forces, is downsizing. So if you are over 28 I suggest ROTC. Reserve and NG OCS may be different (Phrost can weigh in on that)

Proffesional people (doctors, lawyers, dentist, Vets, etc) are indeed needed and still being accepted.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 3:51am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9 View Post
    Ehhhh...

Don't think that the age cut is correct. I had a few guys at end of 2011 going through OCS at 30-34 as college option. Second...why would he want a deployment under his belt before JAG option? Makes even less sense. Go in as an E4 infantry, won't even get team leader time because of lack of experience. Ehhhhh. Having trouble processing some of this. Doesn't make sense. There is something this dude isn't telling you.

BTW I was OCS cadre up until about.... oh.... 5 days ago. So I know pretty much everything there is to know about the program and requirements.
    According to the TASKORD I just got the age limit is will be enforced.

FYI - if you are debating whether to go in as an officer or enlisted listen to the folks here. It isn't even a choice. If you have the opportunity you go officer. Make your own grilled cheese, or eat **** sandwich. That's the choice.
    I enjoyed my time as an enlisted soldier but I LOVE being an Officer!

BTW JAG, I would punch you in the mouth then kick your teeth out while you are down. Every JAG guy I meet is a ball sucking dickbag intent on ensuring the dirtbags of the Army get all benefits of honorable Soldiers as I UCMJ them out. I would like to slam the bolt of an M2 closed on their tongue and then fire a 100 round burst into their skull while screaming AMERICA, **** YEAH! YEAH! HOW'S THAT FOR FAIR?!?!

...my experience with JAG has been less than fun....
    .......Well some of my dealings with JAG Officers has been mixed. Some are fucking douchejackbagasses soem are really great. Now the people I really have a madon for is IG! Good part about IG is that anyone can make an IG complaint. The bad part about IG is that anyone can make an IG complaint. The ones that believe they are championing the cause of downtrodden soldiers are the ones that kill me. "My 1SG is picking one me!!!!" "There there lil soldier we will ensure your 1SG gets investigated he shouldn't be picking on you because you have a DUI, arrested for assualt, habitually FTR, and pending chapter. He is obviously a big ole meany!" (based on true events) I know what IG can and cannot do I know what they are supposed to do but **** they can be GD annoying!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15 LastLast