Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 12:24am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No degree. Got about 2 years left on one.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2012 10:29pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JAG

Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    I'm thinking about the same thing. National guard. Acellerated citizenship, benefits, measly student loan repayment is a good motivator but deep down inside it is because everyone in my family has served, even my father in law. Everyone in the family tells me not to bother but how can I now?

My concerns are getting pulled into active service when my career is so new, wife wants a baby, etc. Though, everyone in the military has made those sacrifices, but I'll be kidding myself if I did not say that is heavy on my mind.

After citizenship I would try out for JAG. I'll probably do army. Decisions decisions decisions.. On one hand I want to wait and see if I can get a kick ass job, but on the other hand I'm 25 and I'm only getting older..
    Just to let you know I had a friend that I met trianing at our BJJ gym and he just completed AIT last month and got stationed at Fort Drum...He was a bar (licenced, certified?? whatever they call it) practicing Lawyer and wanted JAG and with his degree he's more than qualified for OCS and officer rank. He couldn't get into it, so He took a 11B contract as a e4, because apparently they just don't need them right now. Just be aware of how hard it is apparently right now to get into certain fields or a direct commission due to college.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/25/2012 10:39pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Just to let you know I had a friend that I met trianing at our BJJ gym and he just completed AIT last month and got stationed at Fort Drum...He was a bar (licenced, certified?? whatever they call it) practicing Lawyer and wanted JAG and with his degree he's more than qualified for OCS and officer rank. He couldn't get into it, so He took a 11B contract as a e4, because apparently they just don't need them right now. Just be aware of how hard it is apparently right now to get into certain fields or a direct commission due to college.
    Some of this is untrue.

First, the OCS program now owns the direct commissioning program. That is where the Army gets the Lawyers, Doctors, etc. And they are still taking them. I know that for a fact since they were all RIGHT NEXT DOOR to my Company whooping it up like a fucking frat house. Yup docs and attorneys still being accepted - in fact NEEDED.

Second, with any degree - law degree included you can still enter into OCS. Doesn't mean you will make it though. OCS got a *LOT* harder the last year. Like...don't even try if you don't have an APFT of 290+ you will sit at HHC for a cycle or two. Tons of straight college option commisions are still given. I think OCS did over 700 last year not including the direct commissioning program. The difference is they are not taking "qualified" applicants, they are taking the "best qualified".

So I would take what your "friend" told you with a grain of salt. If you have a degree you SHOULD go through OCS unless something is whacky - like can't get a security clearance, didn't understand how to do it, or was straight up lying to you about his qualifications.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 12:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't know some of that.. I do know he was a praticing lawyer so the later I doubt is the issue...I'm racking my brain for the whole conversation. Does the direct commisioning have anytihng currently like age requirements, much like the op he's pushing 30 so got a late start on his military career. I believe he wanted to do a Infantry stint then apply for OCS so I'm thinking he just couldn't get the direct commission into JAG, and possibly didn't hit the 290 mark on the APFT. Last Direct commision I knew was an E7 in a line company, but that was like 5 years ago so my info is definately more dated than Yrkoons.........sides the fact why anyone would want to be an officer is beyond me. He just in processed to Drum no more than a week or 2 ago...(and already got Pnuemonia) haha Drum has him now and will never let him go....Holla!!!! Duty Station of Squalla!! I'll drop him a line and see what the recruiter fed him about the commission and Jag, and post it..(If you feel it's pertinent)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 12:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok just talked to him, He's pulling a 24hr CQ and got assigned to 1 -87 up at Drum. He couldn't do OCS because he was told 28 was the age cut off and he didn't make that. He didn't want a direct commission into JAG right away because he wanted a deployement under his belt first. He's putting in his packaet for JAG in July and should have an answer come Dec. (so lesson learned don't quote a conversation relying on memory when you only half paid attention to it. My bad Im a douche.) hope this info helps the OP and the other guy that wanted JAG.

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 1:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. I don't know anything about how the National Guard differs from the national branches. From everything I've learned (and that includes information not just from my recruiter, but extensive personal research), generally, the age cut-off for Officers is higher than for Enlisted. For example, the Air Force enlisted cut off is 28, and for the Navy it's 30. But, at least in the Navy, Officers have the potential to join further into their 30s. But, for Officers the required commitment is –in general– for a longer period of time than enlisted men. Perhaps that was the problem? Or maybe it's different in the National Guard. It seems like Phrost or Gezere would know more about that.

As it stands, I'm currently now enrolled at the University of Texas in the Engineering program. It will take me about 1.5 years to complete. I'm still very strongly considering serving in the active duty military. But given the circumstances, I'm basically decided on finishing my degree first, and joining as an Officer if the opportunity still exists. Doing it this way will give me the time to get my surgery performed (assuming I can come up with the funds), complete the waiting period (there is a minimum 6 month period following the surgery), and give me the obvious advantage of having Officer potential.

Once again, I'd like to thank each and every one of you who gave me advice, information, and support during this pursuit. That goes double for Phrost and triple for Gezere. The level of information and enthusiasm you guys have given me is incomparable. You're the perfect example of the kind of character that drove me to seek out the armed forces in the first place.

No kidding guys, thank you.

- The Wastrel

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 1:54am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Ok just talked to him, He's pulling a 24hr CQ and got assigned to 1 -87 up at Drum. He couldn't do OCS because he was told 28 was the age cut off and he didn't make that. He didn't want a direct commission into JAG right away because he wanted a deployement under his belt first. He's putting in his packaet for JAG in July and should have an answer come Dec. (so lesson learned don't quote a conversation relying on memory when you only half paid attention to it. My bad Im a douche.) hope this info helps the OP and the other guy that wanted JAG.
    Ehhhh...

Don't think that the age cut is correct. I had a few guys at end of 2011 going through OCS at 30-34 as college option. Second...why would he want a deployment under his belt before JAG option? Makes even less sense. Go in as an E4 infantry, won't even get team leader time because of lack of experience. Ehhhhh. Having trouble processing some of this. Doesn't make sense. There is something this dude isn't telling you.

BTW I was OCS cadre up until about.... oh.... 5 days ago. So I know pretty much everything there is to know about the program and requirements.

FYI - if you are debating whether to go in as an officer or enlisted listen to the folks here. It isn't even a choice. If you have the opportunity you go officer. Make your own grilled cheese, or eat **** sandwich. That's the choice.

BTW JAG, I would punch you in the mouth then kick your teeth out while you are down. Every JAG guy I meet is a ball sucking dickbag intent on ensuring the dirtbags of the Army get all benefits of honorable Soldiers as I UCMJ them out. I would like to slam the bolt of an M2 closed on their tongue and then fire a 100 round burst into their skull while screaming AMERICA, **** YEAH! YEAH! HOW'S THAT FOR FAIR?!?!

...my experience with JAG has been less than fun....

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 2:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9 View Post
    Ehhhh...

Don't think that the age cut is correct. I had a few guys at end of 2011 going through OCS at 30-34 as college option. Second...why would he want a deployment under his belt before JAG option? Makes even less sense. Go in as an E4 infantry, won't even get team leader time because of lack of experience. Ehhhhh. Having trouble processing some of this. Doesn't make sense. There is something this dude isn't telling you.
    That was roughly my thought as I was reading it. But I'm far from an expert on the matter, so I can't really speak to it. Either, there's a difference between US Armed Forces and National Guard, or there is a personal reason that the person mentioned hasn't disclosed.

I assume based on your post that you're an Officer? Also, I'm with you on the dirtbag vs. honorable soldier bit. For me personally, a very significant part of my desire to enlist in the first place was to be a part of an organization that adheres to the very highest standards that there are. And I don't think those should be compromised in any way, at any time.

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 8:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

why would he want a deployment under his belt before JAG option?
    Hey man some guys that don't have a clue want that combat patch..feel they need to prove something or whatever. How many E7's do you see with out a deployement that catch **** (ussually behind their backs) about that. Everybodies got they're personal reasons for decisions. Personally I don't have a problem with the badges people do or don't have the MOS they do or the schools they do or don't attend. I see a need for everyone from Mechanic to finance to combat arms. The only thing Im not to keen on is when people overstep their area of expertise and utilize their rank as leverage just because they can. He did state to me the submission of the packet timing screwed up his plans to do a tour. I agree with you here I never got his reasoning behind this thought process. I believe the 1-87 also just rotated stateside (I could be wrong) I recommended he take a straight commission into JAG right off the bat

He's 30 and here's what I found .

from http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jo...te-school.html

At least 18 years of age at the time of regular Army enlistment and entered active duty or ship to training on or before your 30th birthday. For Army Reserve, you must be at least 18 years of age at the time of enlistment and entered active duty or ship to training on or before your 35th birthday. (Age waivers will be granted for meritorious cases only.) High school seniors may also apply.
    ELIGIBILITY

Here are two options for joining the OCS:

COLLEGE OPTION

Applicants must enter active duty or ship to training prior to their 30th birthday. Army Reserve officer candidates must enter active duty or ship to training before their 35th birthday. (Age waivers will be granted for meritorious cases only.)

ACTIVE ARMY OPTION

Talk to a recruiter for information on this option and application process. When you are ready to apply to OCS, simply contact your local recruiter to start the application process.

Maybe he just misunderstood the cut off point, and based on Tae Bo's MEPS story it sounds like their not giving waivers for nothing. With the potential downsizing of 50k active duty personel, that makes sense.

FYI - if you are debating whether to go in as an officer or enlisted listen to the folks here. It isn't even a choice. If you have the opportunity you go officer. Make your own grilled cheese, or eat **** sandwich. That's the choice.
    Spoken like a true Officer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 8:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    That was roughly my thought as I was reading it. But I'm far from an expert on the matter, so I can't really speak to it. Either, there's a difference between US Armed Forces and National Guard, or there is a personal reason that the person mentioned hasn't disclosed.

I assume based on your post that you're an Officer? Also, I'm with you on the dirtbag vs. honorable soldier bit. For me personally, a very significant part of my desire to enlist in the first place was to be a part of an organization that adheres to the very highest standards that there are. And I don't think those should be compromised in any way, at any time.
    Just crossed my mind as I didn't remember seeing it in the post. Have you considered the AGR route, lot of people consider it one of the best kept secrets in the Armed Forces
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415 LastLast