Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 11:42pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those, such as Gezere, who took an interest in the outcome here, let me post an update on how the situation turned out.

I decided I was going to enlist, in the Navy, under one of a couple possible programs.

I did the whole shabang. All of my background checks and criminal records searches, all of my handwritten statements and character references. My SF 86 was processed, and a TS clearance tentatively approved. I went to a number of SpecOps workouts (they're apparently open to potential recruits every other Friday or something) to see where I stood, and get advice on what to work on. Turns out I'm not quite as good a swimmer as I had thought, but I did pretty well on everything else. I came in just under the cusp of being able to enlist through my local MEPS without needing a higher authority's approval; the result of a few minor legal infractions earlier in life. All was good and it was time to go to MEPS.

Went through the whole MEPS process, and cleared all my physical and psych evals. There was only one hangup, and that was that I needed a waiver for my right foot. 9 years ago, I injured it one evening while training for a kickboxing tournament the following morning. Apparently, the military has a greater number of recruits and re-enlistments than they need, so they're getting very selective. The base doctor gave me a yellow light, requiring a medical waiver before enlistment would be approved. The military sent me to a podiatrist, who analyzed my gait and took x-rays of the foot. One of the bones is deviated by more than 20, which classified it as severe. The podiatrist ended by saying the gait looked good, and though the misalignment was substantial, I didn't seem to be affected by it and there was no inflammation. His last words to me were, "let's see if we can get you into a uniform." Well, the report was all sent up to the top Naval medical authority, an admiral in Tennessee, along with written statements and all that stuff. Couple weeks later, I heard back that my waiver application had been denied. Unfortunately, that basically blocks me from any military enlistment of any kind.

The injury is surgically correctable, but I currently am without significant medical insurance, and since I'm not symptomatic, the surgery would be considered elective anyway. So, unless I can come up with $10-20K, that's basically where my story ends.

Kinda sucks, now every time I watch the Military channel, I see a uniform I wanted to wear and can't help but think that that's what I should be doing right now.

But I thank everyone who gave me advice on this thread or in PMs. Your counsel was indispensable, and I am forever grateful.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 7:34am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow...thats a **** ton of bad luck. I'm sorry to hear it.

Maybe the merchant marines will take you? They are considered an auxiliary and not a uniformed service. If you would be interested in something like that, of course.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 11:07am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TB...don't let it get you down. At least you tried. After i had left active duty Navy and was Army reserve, I decided to try and go back Navy and go into MAA and take a WESTPAC. I had a ACL replacement while USAR and had to get a BUPERS medical waiver. It was denied. I was bitching about it at my USAR unit during drill and a friendly Major advised going active duty Army. I applied and finished up my years for retirement in the Army. The thing is, the different services have slightly different standards due to the type of service. It may not be what you initially wanted, but you could contact an Army recruiter and talk it out. They could pull your records from MEPS and see if they could get a medical waiver.

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've considered trying another branch, primarily the Army or Air Force. I'm just not sure it'll make any difference. By my understanding, the Navy has the most lenient physical standards. Granted, that information comes partly from my recruiter, but it was also verified by the Army major who transported me to and from my podiatry consult. Also, the waiver requirement was issued not by the Navy specifically, but by a general DOD doc. Although, the final waiver was denied specifically by the Navy. It can't hurt to find out.

I do find a certain amount of amusing irony in the fact that my pursuit of being a fighter is what's prevented my pursuit of being a warrior.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 4:55pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give it a shot again though, but try the Army. You kind of dodged a bullet with the Navy thing; everyone gets the option of trying out for the SEALs in Navy boot camp, but those with the enlistment options who fail out (injury, whatever), get stuck in the shittiest of duties.

The Army has a fuckton more high speed jobs, and they all feed into Special Forces if you want to go that route. Your waiver was probably denied specifically because you tried to go into SpecOps, so if you want to sneak in, I'd just consider enlisting as a Cav Scout, or Infantry with Ranger option.

But honestly, if you've got a TS clearance going, and considering you're fairly smart, dude... go MI. You'll set yourself up for a lifelong career in the Intel field, worth a ton of money. The only down side is that you'll have to deal with geeks all day.

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 5:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Appreciate the advice, Phrost. But actually, I wasn't trying to go directly into SEALs. Thanks to members of this forum like yourself, I was aware that everyone gets the opportunity to try out for SpecOps. I was going in with the Nuclear Program, with the intention of trying out for SEALs upon entering basic. Which is why the application for TS clearance.

With my scores (99 ASVAB, 137 DLAB), MI was suggested to me also. The only thing is that it required a completely spotless credit record, which I don't quite have.

You have experience with the Army don't you Phrost? What types of potential jobs would you suggest I explore?

- The Wastrel

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you want high speed, you can always try for being a sapper. i have one living right down the road from me and he said the school was amazingly fun (while super challenging) and there are plenty of ways to get fed into it.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 7:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    Appreciate the advice, Phrost. But actually, I wasn't trying to go directly into SEALs. Thanks to members of this forum like yourself, I was aware that everyone gets the opportunity to try out for SpecOps. I was going in with the Nuclear Program, with the intention of trying out for SEALs upon entering basic. Which is why the application for TS clearance.

With my scores (99 ASVAB, 137 DLAB), MI was suggested to me also. The only thing is that it required a completely spotless credit record, which I don't quite have.

You have experience with the Army don't you Phrost? What types of potential jobs would you suggest I explore?
    99 ASVAB and a TS opens up every single job the Army has to you. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have done something like 35L (Counter-Intelligence Agent).

Wait, do you have a degree? Don't even think of enlisting. Come in directly as an Officer Candidate. The difference between Enlisted and Officer is the difference between hot dogs and prime rib. I'm not even kidding, enlisting with a degree is flat-out retarded.

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 7:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, I can put you in touch with a recruiter for the National Guard tomorrow if you'd like. You might want active duty, which is fine, but he can answer any questions you have about the Army, and give you some information you might have never thought about.

I'm actually in a recruiting battalion as an instructor, so I can get you connected to people who'll be a lot more helpful than some random recruiter you meet by walking into an office. Guard recruiters are light years beyond active duty recruiters, because once an active duty recruiter gets you off to BCT, they don't give a rat's ass about you. Guard recruiters aren't like that, because they know they'll run into you some day down the road and you could possibly outrank them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 7:58pm

Style: PMA, CLF, Longfist n more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    Couple weeks later, I heard back that my waiver application had been denied. Unfortunately, that basically blocks me from any military enlistment of any kind.

The injury is surgically correctable, but I currently am without significant medical insurance, and since I'm not symptomatic, the surgery would be considered elective anyway. So, unless I can come up with $10-20K, that's basically where my story ends.
    Sorry to hear that. I remember when I went for NROTC, a family friend who was a retired ARMY colonel told me to "not open any doors for the recruiter to walk through." I kept quiet about various broken fingers, but the surgery questions got me. I had a double herniotomy (fixed hernias) in fifth grade and put that down. Little did I know when I had to get the medical report for my waiver, I found out that the doctors also checked me for testicular cancer, which could have completely ended my application process.

Keep trying to get in if you want this, though. I'm definitely not implying that you lie, but the Marines/AF/ Coast Guard/ARMY/ different NAVY recruiters probably don't have to know about the injury if it has never been problematic and you can't get the corrective surgery. I feel the same way as you about feeling a duty to serve but not having a chance to - my NROTC application was denied. Who knows? This could be a blessing in disguise.

*edit*
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Wait, do you have a degree? Don't even think of enlisting. Come in directly as an Officer Candidate. The difference between Enlisted and Officer is the difference between hot dogs and prime rib. I'm not even kidding, enlisting with a degree is flat-out retarded.
    true dat
    Last edited by Kung-fu Jesus; 3/22/2012 8:02pm at .