Posted On:
    7/29/2011 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by STB'A View Post
    your story closely mirrors my fathers.

enlisted in the army at age 18 as a buck private, at 19 he was in vietnam as a PFC. at 21 he was stateside as a staff sergeant. at 25 he was a SFC and a drill sergeant. at 30 (when i was born) he had made warrant officer 1. by 45 he had risen to CWO4.

he likes to think that anybody in the army could have done what he did, if they put in the work. but what he fails to understand is that most people just aren't smart enough to do that. no matter how hard they work, they hit a mental wall where they just cannot learn a more advanced job well enough, or take on a more demanding leadership role.

i think it's wicked amazing what you, and my father have done in the service, but you guys are the exception to the rule. you are, first, increadibly hard workers. second, very dedicated to your careers. and third, smarter than the average bear.

that, and your cute dimples probably helped somewhere along the way.
    First off buy your dad a beer for me. If he doesn't drink beer buy it anyways then chug in respect for a great American. Vietnam era soldiers had it tough and if he was able to do that then that supports what I was saying about most not having the discipline or drive. I agree that there are varying levels of intelligence and ability to learn but there are far more with the ability to that just simply decide not to do it than there are people who can't.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 10:53am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure what is going on with that Texas NG general you referenced, but a National Guard commission is federally recognized (takes a few months to process after you get pinned). So anyone who wants to go that route should consider it.

Also, you only need 90 credits to get pinned 2LT, 60 to enter the program, and 120 by the time you're up for Captain.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 12:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    This is absolutely one of the WORSE ways to get into the Army. Don't get me started on X-babies. Just know this most of them wash out. Those that do make it few of them have good careers. It far better join THEN go sign up for SFAS.
    My brother didn't have much that was bad to say about the Xs he knew. If you don't mind going infantry if you wash out it isn't terrible.

IIRC almost any medic can go work in the ER after a certain point. I know several the units I've been in that have done it. Most these guys were looking to become PAs.
    Sorry, IIRC the 18D program gets priority for the PA school. Of course all medics can do ER, but all of the 18Ds I've met are PAs as well.

EDIT: But yeah, chances are that no matter what you go in for the army will make it boring and awful. Just finish school instead.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 12:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I'm not sure what is going on with that Texas NG general you referenced, but a National Guard commission is federally recognized (takes a few months to process after you get pinned). So anyone who wants to go that route should consider it.
    Yes Guard rank is federally recognized after some paperwork to get the rank approved. The rank if first issued by the state it may or may not get federally recognized but it will always be recognized by the state. I don't know the full story of to general but I gathered he wasn't federally recognized given he had to change is rank when when we went to Fort Hood.

Also, you only need 90 credits to get pinned 2LT, 60 to enter the program, and 120 by the time you're up for Captain.
    Currently you need to have your Bachelor's degree before going to OCS for active duty. Reserve and NG might be different.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 12:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    My brother didn't have much that was bad to say about the Xs he knew. If you don't mind going infantry if you wash out it isn't terrible.
    That would depend on where he met them.

Sorry, IIRC the 18D program gets priority for the PA school. Of course all medics can do ER, but all of the 18Ds I've met are PAs as well.
    That might be the case. I don't know for sure. My CDR when I was in 1/4 INF was an 18D when he was enlisted. I know helped a lot of our Medics go to PA school. I don't know if there was some OML for it or not.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 6:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    That would depend on where he met them.
    I think he met the x-rays at selection, but I remember asking him about them and he said they were all reasonably tough guys and tougher than a lot of the guys who'd actually been on tour. He also said that x-rays automatically go through airborne which means a bit more pay. As long as you're tough and you can do ruck marches he didn't think being an x-ray was a disadvantage.

That might be the case. I don't know for sure. My CDR when I was in 1/4 INF was an 18D when he was enlisted. I know helped a lot of our Medics go to PA school. I don't know if there was some OML for it or not.
    What I remember hearing was that a lot of the guys that teach the 18D MOS school also teach the PA school so if you go through 18D you get to talk to these guys which makes getting in easier and that SF just gets more training slots per person than the other units. There might also be an OML (my dad seemed to think so but he's air force medicine, not army).

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 9:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    I think he met the x-rays at selection, but I remember asking him about them and he said they were all reasonably tough guys and tougher than a lot of the guys who'd actually been on tour. He also said that x-rays automatically go through airborne which means a bit more pay. As long as you're tough and you can do ruck marches he didn't think being an x-ray was a disadvantage.
    Yeah they are tough at selection because all they do is get PTed to death and taught how to Land Nav. I went to Airborne school with X-babies. They were physically fit but not acculturated into the Army. They caused the most problems because they didn't know how to act. Airborne school is also were many of them wash out. They might think their tough until they are looking out the door of a C-130. We even had one freeze up on Tower week!!! Now the ones to get their heads out their ass and make it through selection and the Q-course are for the most part squared away.

What I remember hearing was that a lot of the guys that teach the 18D MOS school also teach the PA school so if you go through 18D you get to talk to these guys which makes getting in easier and that SF just gets more training slots per person than the other units. There might also be an OML (my dad seemed to think so but he's air force medicine, not army).
    That makes sense and probably why my old CDR was able to pull so many strings to get his guys in.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 11:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    acclimation to army life aside, what is the big problem with 18x enlistees?

i know the navy has started similar programs for SEAL and SWCC, and i believe that the air force has something similar for their special ops.

i was under the impression that it was streamlining the whole process and getting good guys through the pipeline a lot quicker.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2011 8:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always heard the x-ray program as being a great way to avoid a couple years of bullshit as you wait for a spot in selection.

It doesn't train you in a lot of the random army bullshit, but SF has a fairly different culture (ascetics when you're training, flamingos when you're not) so I've never heard of it being a huge problem.

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 10:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They problems with X-babies is from the time they come in til they go to selection. The ones that make it through selection (the few of the many) are good hard working guys who new what they wanted and worked hard to get there. The others usually are huge disciplinary problems which usually stems from an attitude that they are "special." You will hear them say dumb **** like, "Why are we doing this I'm going to be Special Forces?" Karma being a bitch the first platoon I took over as at PL has two 18X wash outs. One I had to chapter out for disciplinary problems.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh