My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I don't dispute that at all, and that is great for them. The fact that their experience isn't typical is my exact point.
    It can be typical when you learn to take charge of your career. I wen form private to NCO, Senior NCO, and now I'm a CPT. I knew early on that I needed to know my Branch manager, look for assignments out there, find good mentors to emulate. The people I see who usually have a crappy time in the Army are the ones that let Uncle Sam make all the decisions for them.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 10:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    It can be typical when you learn to take charge of your career. I wen form private to NCO, Senior NCO, and now I'm a CPT. I knew early on that I needed to know my Branch manager, look for assignments out there, find good mentors to emulate. The people I see who usually have a crappy time in the Army are the ones that let Uncle Sam make all the decisions for them.
    No argument there. But I'm sure you will concede that most Privates never become Captains.

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 12:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    No argument there. But I'm sure you will concede that most Privates never become Captains.
    Yes but its not because they can't. It's because for the most part they either don't want to or don't have the willingness and discipline to do what it takes to become one.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 12:59pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long did it take you to rise from the ranks of the Enlisted to those of Officer, Gezere?
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 5:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It took me 10 yrs to make SFC (E-7) with a few deployments in.
    From 2LT (O-1) to CPT (O-3)its automatic and can take from 36 to 40 months.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    7/23/2011 3:30am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Yes but its not because they can't. It's because for the most part they either don't want to or don't have the willingness and discipline to do what it takes to become one.
    your story closely mirrors my fathers.

enlisted in the army at age 18 as a buck private, at 19 he was in vietnam as a PFC. at 21 he was stateside as a staff sergeant. at 25 he was a SFC and a drill sergeant. at 30 (when i was born) he had made warrant officer 1. by 45 he had risen to CWO4.

he likes to think that anybody in the army could have done what he did, if they put in the work. but what he fails to understand is that most people just aren't smart enough to do that. no matter how hard they work, they hit a mental wall where they just cannot learn a more advanced job well enough, or take on a more demanding leadership role.

i think it's wicked amazing what you, and my father have done in the service, but you guys are the exception to the rule. you are, first, increadibly hard workers. second, very dedicated to your careers. and third, smarter than the average bear.

that, and your cute dimples probably helped somewhere along the way.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/23/2011 3:32am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's mostly the dimples I think.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 2:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're interested in special forces I could try to get my brother to talk about your options. He went in as an 11B and went through a tour in Iraq before he got to try out, but if you feel like you're in shape and mentally tough you can go in as an 18X. Most of the SF MOS have legitimate skills behind them, and if you get 18D you can actually work in an ER with no additional training IIRC.

Best option is to go back to college though.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 2:33am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i somewhat agree with november. the biggest danger to building a career path off of elite positions with high attrition rates is that, statistically speaking, you are more likely to wind up doing some bullshit job that you fucking hate for 4 years than you are to actually be a john rambo like our very own sexy chocolate gezere or mr. grumpy pants cassius.

this is especially true if you go into the navy with a BUD/S enlistment option. you wash out of BUD/S, with no prior navy experience, there really isn't any telling where you are going to wind up, or what you will be doing. you could wind up mopping floors on a frigate. you could wind up slinging shitty cafeteria food to ungrateful sailors in some god forsaken corner of the ocean that smells funny.

your "safest" bet is to go back to college.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 9:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    If you're interested in special forces I could try to get my brother to talk about your options. He went in as an 11B and went through a tour in Iraq before he got to try out, but if you feel like you're in shape and mentally tough you can go in as an 18X. Most of the SF MOS have legitimate skills behind them, and if you get 18D you can actually work in an ER with no additional training IIRC.
    This is absolutely one of the WORSE ways to get into the Army. Don't get me started on X-babies. Just know this most of them wash out. Those that do make it few of them have good careers. It far better join THEN go sign up for SFAS.

IIRC almost any medic can go work in the ER after a certain point. I know several the units I've been in that have done it. Most these guys were looking to become PAs.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast