i don't believe i have.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 8:53pm

Style: Yang Mian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dalmes View Post
    Yang Mian, I am pretty sure I did this for a little while many years ago with a guy at Homebush, before I trained with Gary.

It looks the same, steel body, steel hand, spring power and so on. The classes I had were one on one with the instructor. Do you learn in a class format or one on one bdang?

I enjoyed it and the instructor was pretty good although it was hard for me to justify $50 per session.

Some of the exercises I remember involved swinging the arms around like a windmill to get blood to pool up in the hands (making them hard) and an exhaling exercise where you push your belly out making it hard to resist the impact of incoming strikes.

Is this the same thing bdang?

I am interested to find out more?

How long have you been doing it for?

How often do you train?

cheers,

dalmes
    Yeah dalmes, its the same thing. Who did you train with? What stage did you get upto? Its a very interesting system isn't it? The power is incredible, you could definitely use it to complement any striking based art.

I used to learn it in a class which varied in number of people, usually around 6-10. When I go on Saturdays its usually just a handful of people, depending on the times. I didn't make it last weekend as I was too wrecked from the nights before =/

I have been doing it on and off for about 2 years now (I think), its more off than on. Its an amazing system and if only I was more motivated to actually train...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 9:09pm

Style: Yang Mian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dalmes View Post
    Fair call Sang.

I think it is pretty hard to contact spar Yang Mian since it is a gloves off style which involves explosive power strikes that uses a somewhat flicking motion (from memory)... full and proper use of Yang Mian (gloves off) by an experienced practitioner would lead to some pretty horrific injuries... please correct me if I am wrong bdang.

My first session in Yang Mian involved some demonstrations (my instructor let me take free shots in his guts to show off the steel body thing... might be worth going for, I was impressed)... then introduction to the internal exercises, which are a long term undertaking if you want to see benefit from them of course.

IMO it's definitely worth checking out if you are curious about different MA forms, but don't necessarily expect to "put the gloves on and have a crack".

cheers,

dalmes
    You can contact spar no problems, the problem with Yang Mian, or atleast the way I learned it is that it has really poor delivery systems... like I said, I use it for its explosive and power training.

You can punch in any manner you like, Yang Mian punches are not necessarily flicking. It can be if you want it to be. But the way you train is to stretch the muscles in a similar way to plyometrics. When you punch, you stretch the muscles out and let it automatically contract - this is like plyometrics training. This is how we train to explode our fists when punching (of course theres also body movement etc etc)

The steel body is very good if trained consistently. The way it was explained to me is similar to pumping a basketball, in the beginning your body is like a semi pumped basketball, after training steel body your body will feel like a fully pumped basketball.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 9:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TaiChi,Hsing-I,PaQua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Woah! It's been a year since i've been on this thread.. had to read the WHOLE thing again to remember what it was about.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 10:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TaiChi,Hsing-I,PaQua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So did anyone contact Gary and clarify things?

I only found out that the school is a member of the "Australian National Kung Fu Federation" - <http://www.akwf.com/>
    and the "Martial Arts Industry Association" - <http://www.maia.com.au/>, which are both a part of the NSW sports and recreation organisations list - <http://www.dsr.nsw.gov.au/sportsclubs/contacts_sso-ak.asp>

If you call them up and inquire about Gary's credentials I think they can help you guys out. I would think that to be a government accredited kung fu instructor your lineage would be checked. :S correct me if i'm wrong.

Cheers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 12:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by r_123 View Post
    I would think that to be a government accredited kung fu instructor your lineage would be checked. :S correct me if i'm wrong.
    Cheers.
    Does the Auatralian government actually have a bureau, staffed by keenly trained and highly motivated agents,that thoroughly vets aspiring kung fu masters or did Mr. Martin just walk into City Hall and get something rubber-stamped by some slack-jawed pencil pusher? Here in America, governments will "recognize" all kinds of things without any particular criteria or quality control. My state requires a license to fish but I don't have to reel in a trout and present it to a game warden to prove my worthiness before receiving one. I just need to write a check.

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 1:18am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I understand correctly, the government accreditation is actually just a glorified personal training course with "martial arts coaching" as it's main elective. Give me an hour and I'll find out more.

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 1:34am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mistake, it is not glorified personal training, it is a Diploma of Sports (Coaching) with Martial Arts as its focus. Every McDojo has one, or should have one as it has all the occupational health and safety, sexual harrassment, liability, etc included, as well as teaching coaching techniques.

I remember a couple of years ago when I was doing TKD I saw it advertised for a chun school as "government accredited", so I asked my Kwanjangnim and he said he had it and so do all the WTF schools (they provided the training in house, not sure if you need to go to TAFE, or if you can do it by correspondence under supervision), he said if I wanted to do it I could. I haven't seen it advertised for a while now, maybe the advertising effect/appeal on parents wore off because everyone was stating they were "government accredited".

It isn't bullshido, but it is a failsafe for mcdojos in regards to insurance, etc. It most definitely does not mean that it is a quality control FOR THE MARTIAL ART, just the INSTRUCTION of the martial art.
    Last edited by battlefields; 6/23/2010 1:39am at . Reason: clarification

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 6:59am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gary Martin Kungfu

Hello all

I guess I should apologise for bringing up such an old thread, so....Sorry.

I just spent what seems like ages reading every post. I decided to join this forum just so I could post my views.

I am someone who trained at Gary's school for the best part of 25 years and attained the level of Gold sash. I am not there now. I did leave under "difficult" circumstances not long after the Gold sash grading.

I'm not here to stand up for anybody, especially Gary. I can tell you from personal experience he is far from perfect when it comes to dealing with his fellow man, and his wife is probably the Devil reincarnated as a women.

There are a hundred holes in his explanation of his personal history that he would like everyone to believe and yes there always seemed to be a bit of bullshit floating around the place that made most thinking guys a little uncomfortable. Personally I never understood why he had the need to promote some of that crap, but that's how it was. Most of the older senior guys just chose to ignore it and got on with the training.

Now that we have that out of the way.............

The one thing that is indisputable is the quality of the training and the techniques taught. The art is solid, Gary is a World class martial Arts instructor. He is no good at anything else in this world, but he is THE BEST Martial Arts instructor period.

Personally I don't see how anyone without any first hand experience of the school could ever possibly arrive at any opinion about it and yet there appear to be so many experts here on this forum.

If you have not been there, you are blowing it out of your arse.

All the attacks in this thread from the arm chair commandos have been entertaining to say the least. Special mention to This Is Fake.

I have no interest or connection with the school anymore and it would be fair to say that Gary and I will never see eye to eye on anything again, but I by nature will always call it as I see it. So to anyone that wants to knock the the actual training I say grow a pair and join up or keep your ill informed opinions to yourself.

GS7

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 7:29am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello GS7, welcome to Bullshido.

Good to have a person with so much personal experience with the topic at hand around.

I see your point, but I have a slight problem with the logic behind it, regarding the "rock solid" and "world class" descriptions of your former instructor...

See, unless you trained anywhere else for the "best part of the last 25 years", it seems to me that YOU have nothing to compare Gary's teaching to.

Many guys on here, myself and This is Fake included, trained or still train in different martial arts, including kung fu styles. We've experienced different systems and approaches to training.

If you didn't, you are pulling stuff out of your back parts when criticising us.

Also, maybe you're above it, but there's a possibility of you being one of those guys, who are unable to see/realise that they've been lead around by their noses for the best part of their lives, at least MA-wise.

It is a painful experience for each and every one - and many, if not most people here on Bullshido had to go through this - to say:

"I've been mislead and trained not in a way that would have been good for me. I am not an invincible kung fu warrior nor would I ever become one in a hundred years doing what I was doing and paying the money I've paid."

Maybe you're different. Please elaborate more on your MA experiences outside of Gary's school and what you think about my thoughts.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast