Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 12:06am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 12:08am

Style: Yang Mian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Danno - I wouldn't recommend it as a fighting school... I use it mainly for power training for the time being. They do sparring sessions but I'm hardly ever there since I'm in canberra but yeah, I've seen a few sparring sessions when the MMA fighters trained there - not sure if any of them still train there or not. One of the guys that trained with us was Lucas Browne, but I don't see much of Yang Mian in his fights lol

Yeah it has a website, but I wouldn't put too much in the website, best to visit it and just have a look - I kinda wanna know whether its as good as I think it is or its just me.

www.yangmian.com

Be warned the instructor is not very good at english and he's a sneaky guy haha

I should be there around 2pm til around 3:30-4pm

dalmes - yeah its the same thing, I've been training it for about 2 years but I don't train it that much. Its recommended that you train minimum of 3 times a week, I'm lucky if I get to train once a week nowadays. I still go there some times on the weekends when I have a chance to head to sydney. What I can say is that my punch is so much better because of it, my body feels stronger than its ever been (I use to do weights but I've never felt this strong before)... I won't have the internet over the weekends so I'll check it when I come back on monday night.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 12:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah its fuckn expensive.......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 12:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But you can pay a visit just to check out the place and give some opinions on it.

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 12:16am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you should meet up with danno to do some sparring to test your theories. All he's going to get at your school is the typical too deadly talk and waste a trip.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 12:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair call Sang.

I think it is pretty hard to contact spar Yang Mian since it is a gloves off style which involves explosive power strikes that uses a somewhat flicking motion (from memory)... full and proper use of Yang Mian (gloves off) by an experienced practitioner would lead to some pretty horrific injuries... please correct me if I am wrong bdang.

My first session in Yang Mian involved some demonstrations (my instructor let me take free shots in his guts to show off the steel body thing... might be worth going for, I was impressed)... then introduction to the internal exercises, which are a long term undertaking if you want to see benefit from them of course.

IMO it's definitely worth checking out if you are curious about different MA forms, but don't necessarily expect to "put the gloves on and have a crack".

cheers,

dalmes
    Last edited by dalmes; 3/05/2010 12:35am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 12:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Maybe you should meet up with danno to do some sparring to test your theories. All he's going to get at your school is the typical too deadly talk and waste a trip.
    i'm expecting that.

on the other hand i haven't trained martial arts for about 1.5 months due to my knee, and i'm not going to return to my gym until april (paused my membership for two months).

but my knee is starting to feel pretty good, certainly good enough to do some boxing or something. did some light grappling last night and it was fine.

i don't mind "wasting time" on too deadly talk if it comes to that. i'm itching to step into any kind of gym at the moment. and i'm always up for a spar.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 2:27am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dalmes View Post
    Fair call Sang.

I think it is pretty hard to contact spar Yang Mian since it is a gloves off style which involves explosive power strikes that uses a somewhat flicking motion (from memory)... full and proper use of Yang Mian (gloves off) by an experienced practitioner would lead to some pretty horrific injuries... please correct me if I am wrong bdang.
    no offense man but this is a bit of a non reason. throwing on a pair of mma gloves is not gonna make any difference to the strikes being thrown, the only reason we use big gloves in muay thai is because some people need to not have bruised cut up faces at work the next day. ive sparred no gloves MT before, the principles are similar you just need to make sure you are TIGHT with your hands. people are FAR tougher than most TMA practitioners seem to believe... although from my days doing kung fu and karate, most of the people doing it were pretty damn delicate.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm glad i'm not a rock right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!videos...&v=0Vj9yzoTmbw

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 10:34am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh oh you never saw the chicken dance video.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast