Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:37pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    come get some Cajun style Judo training.
    En français? :O

Antiquated

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 11:44pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fought a couple of blind guys (in Judo that is), they really loved Judo and had a good feel for it as well.

Blind practice (just close your damn eyes, we don't need the theatrics of a blindfold!) is ok I guess, I think it helps beginners as JNP mentioned.

After a while as you do randori (spar) you may as well have your eyes closed. That is, the time it take for you to see, perceive what you saw, and react to your perception is usually slower than your reaction to how it all feels. If that makes a lick of sense.

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 5:39am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    That is, the time it take for you to see, perceive what you saw, and react to your perception is usually slower than your reaction to how it all feels. If that makes a lick of sense.
    I think this is true up to a point i.e beginners are only attempting to process the whole randori situation through their eyes. Or more specifically they are trying to spot, visually, specific movements or positioning i.e uke steps forward with their left foot, is on their toes/ heels.

Obviously as you say by the time you have seen these, processed them through the noob processor and then attempted to engage the noob neurons etc... to apply the noob technique it all breaksdown.

However, the eyes are a vital part of our body's information gathering and feedback system so I think some people can go too far and villianise the eyes as some kind of evil anti-Judo twins sitting in your head sabotaging any attempt at doing Judo, which is obviously a bit silly.

When you get more experienced there are a number of things that have changed - your body has the pathways of the technique movements programmed much better so you can physically perfom the attack faster and more fluidly, your eyes have got much better at looking 'deeper' into the errors and opportunities that permit a throw beyond simply just 'on the heels/ toes' etc..., your body's information systems are working in sync better touch, sight, balance etc... are all now programmed to work together to produce results be it an attack, evasion etc...

So I see blindfold randori as perhaps useful in trying to snap noobs out of the mode of thinking that is 'I watch when uke steps there, I look for uke to be on their toes/heels' etc... and show them that there's more to it than that and that that is an overly simplistic way of looking at debana. However, I think its much more beneficial to actually explain to people how the simplifications of debana we talk about are just that, simplifications and that the only real way to get all the body's information systems in sync, muscle pathways working and all the stuff geared towards Judo is to do loads of quality, well controlled randori.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 9:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off to do pushups...

I agree completely. I sounded a little Mr. Miyagi before, when Judo is anything but. I honestly don't know enough about neurophysiology and biomechanics to say what I want to at times. That's why I rarely post.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 9:57am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a training tool it's really invaluable. We need to train people to develop the tactual sense of judo. People who begin judo can barely move in a correct and efficient manner. The sedentary lifestyle to majority of people live has over developed the visual sense and people can not use the other senses in relation to physical action.

As an advanced player it's a fun exercise and a challenge to you as a martial artist. As with anything it should be fun. Will it elevate you to world champion status, no, but it will bring you one step closer to being better than you were the previous day. I'm sure they are drills that people do that I would look at and go that's just sofa king we tard it and they would justify them.

Ultimately Judo should just be fun and challenging, well any martial art for that matter.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 10:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, maybe I'm weird, but doing Judo is my idea fun.

There are very activities that are more fun for me than doing drills and uchikomi/nagekomi etc...

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 10:20am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Occasionally when someone starts pushing hands, they close their eyes because they're told that pushing is all about tingjing—or "listening power." The instructions from my teacher are explicit. "Whenever they do that, trip them, so they'll keep their eyes open." Push hands is about developing "listening", which includes the tactility described above, but also involves peripheral vision and whatnot. The idea is that people are going to have their eyes open eventually, so they'd better start learning how to deal with the "extra" information right away.

Would blindfolded chisau be "easier" if the range of motion included more leg action.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 11:53am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go trip a blind judo player.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 4:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does Tai Chi even have footsweeps?

This information is needed for my death match with Cullion, although I'm mainly focusing on how to defend his Five Point Palm Exploding Heart technique.

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 6:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Does Tai Chi even have footsweeps?
    Yup.

This information is needed for my death match with Cullion, although I'm mainly focusing on how to defend his Five Point Palm Exploding Heart technique.
    Wear a padded bra to the bout. It always works for me.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast