Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 6:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone knows the USJA has a history of rank inflation. Its not exactly a secret.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 6:50am

Style: Shaolin, Goshin Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Everyone knows the USJA has a history of rank inflation. Its not exactly a secret.
    I did not know this, but thanks for the update.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 7:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the guy in question replies with an e-mail where he has a nice little story about how he didn't really want it, but it was thrust upon him.
    Kind of puts a stop on him them claiming that 8th Dan for advertising himself elsewhere, if he has indeed done so.

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 8:17am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Kind of puts a stop on him them claiming that 8th Dan for advertising himself elsewhere, if he has indeed done so.
    Not really, if you've been awarded something you can advertise yourself as the recipient of that award.

He can always say 'well I didn't really want it, but now I've got it its only reasonable to put it on things where my rank would be relevant i.e instructor profiles, seminar flyers, dojo adverts etc...'

I don't think he's an 8th dan, he apparently doesn't think he's an 8th dan, but he is and there's nowt we or anyone outside of the USJA heirarchy can do about it.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 8:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Looking at the Facebook convo that Matt posted, it could be interpreted/explained that Mr. Lowry only volunteered the info about the 8th dan because Stephen Gegner (not sure who that is) brought it up and The Tripp asked about where/who it was from.

Though as previously mentioned, on his website he's listed as both an 7th dan *and* an 8th dan Judo...

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 8:36am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really, if you've been awarded something you can advertise yourself as the recipient of that award.
    I had an argument when I first joined about this very topic. They awarded a schlub a 10th dan and rescinded it. I said well he can still claim you gave it to him. It's funny how people do not want to claim their mistakes. It went on for quite a few pages.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So where exactly is this investigation going to go?

As this rank has been issued by one of the official organisations so the normal bullshido investigation stuff of turning up evidence of rank fraud or self-awarding of rank from circle jerk orgs doesn't really apply.
    I can't speak for the OP, but my interest is in upping the pressure on JA to maintain integrity.

Does the USJA have some sort of procedure for querying rank awards and any kind of mechanism for demoting people or rescinding rank?
    Of course, remember what happened in the Matt Morton case? Stripped of rank and suspended. It is possible.

In that particular case a nobody Hapkido instructor was able to claim USJA Judo rank by tinkering with Kodokan documents belonging to a JA board member (Neil O.) and nobody at JA even noticed.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 9:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    Of course, remember what happened in the Matt Morton case? Stripped of rank and suspended. It is possible.

In that particular case a nobody Hapkido instructor was able to claim USJA Judo rank by tinkering with Kodokan documents belonging to a JA board member (Neil O.) and nobody at JA even noticed.
    Can you believe I'd actually forgotten all about him.

Nothing like what happened to Morton will happen to Lowry, simply because no one depended on Morton for their dan grade nor the person who promoted Morton (because there was none). There will be a whole host of people who depended on Geis for their dan grades and Lowry and the system that allowed Geis to give Lowry his grade allowed many many more to do the same.

There's not going to be anything like that kind of shake up, because of too many vested interests, sad but true.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 3:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you believe I'd actually forgotten all about him.

Nothing like what happened to Morton will happen to Lowry, simply because no one depended on Morton for their dan grade nor the person who promoted Morton (because there was none). There will be a whole host of people who depended on Geis for their dan grades and Lowry and the system that allowed Geis to give Lowry his grade allowed many many more to do the same.

There's not going to be anything like that kind of shake up, because of too many vested interests, sad but true.
    Roughly how many people are we talking about here (i.e. popping up as high rank with the USJA, with little or no previous history on record), as a matter of interest? One guy? A handful? Tens? Hundreds?

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 3:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Roughly how many people are we talking about here (i.e. popping up as high rank with the USJA, with little or no previous history on record), as a matter of interest? One guy? A handful? Tens? Hundreds?
    Little or no previous rank is only one small part of the issue, there are people who have a record of every single rank, but that's because they sent off their cheques regularly...
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast